PDA

View Full Version : Community: Anyone Watch It?

ToucanSpam
05-22-2012, 08:20 AM
I just recently discovered the show while it was on hiatus. It's pretty damn funny and seems to be full of meta, smart inside jokes without seeming pretentious. Do any of you watch the show and if so, do you think it will last to "six seasons and a movie"?

ProfJIM
05-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Its me and my wife's favorite show currently.

I've followed Dan Harmon's work (show-creator) for many years, and I already loved Donald Glover from his internet improv group, so when I heard it was coming I was super excited.

Needless to say, it went past my expectations. I remember watching the pilot and going "I love this...it will probably be cancelled".

Now Harmon is fired and its moving to Friday....not to excited about that.

ProfJIM
05-22-2012, 08:28 AM
And here is one of my favorite moments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAh9QoSTIU)

tpk
05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
i watched the first few episodes when it first came out and decided i did not like it at all.

Waus
05-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Great show.

It has a pretty good subreddit, too. I've been watching it for a while, but with Harmon getting fired I'm not too keen on how the next season will go.

Frenchbgirl
05-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I really love this show, but I don't think it will last... I was surprised it was picked for another season, with all the drama between Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon.

Bob
05-22-2012, 09:02 PM
And here is one of my favorite moments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAh9QoSTIU)

i thought this was going to be either "notches" or "i have the weirdest boner"

donald glover rules

monkey
05-22-2012, 09:23 PM
i love love love love this show. loooooooove. love it so much, i can watch the same episode seven million times. <3

The Notorious LOL
05-22-2012, 09:35 PM
I like it. this particular scene was the first time I really lost my shit while watching this show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kkDw61Edc8

cosmo105
05-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Love this show. The last season has been not as great as the others, but my god. So good. Also, Jeff :o <3 <3 <3

Bob
05-22-2012, 11:39 PM
i keep having to stop myself from saying "cool. cool cool cool" in normal conversation

Frenchbgirl
05-23-2012, 05:37 AM
i keep having to stop myself from saying "cool. cool cool cool" in normal conversation
me too! :D

ProfJIM
05-23-2012, 06:49 AM

I use it freely an openly. You should too; don't be a Britta.

ProfJIM
05-23-2012, 06:55 AM
and this (http://youtu.be/K7ZcDShqCl0)

Burton (http://youtu.be/PWTymZ-EP6o)

ToucanSpam
05-23-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm guilty of "Cool, coolcoolcool" as well. The show is refreshing and original, it's hard to believe it almost got canned midseason. Sad to see Dan Harmon lose his job, but he had only signed a one year deal after season two, so he knew this was likely coming if the show didn't perform well.

I know this one is stupid, but the Pierce vs. Ice Cream Machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNREA2fQlzU) gag at the end of "Urban Matrimony and the Sandwich Arts" makes me laugh uncontrollably.

ProfJIM
05-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I think my favorite episode was with the KFC "space" simulator.

PIERCE, YOU'RE ARGUING WITH AN ATARI CARTRIDGE!

ToucanSpam
05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
"Hip, hop, body don't stop. Riverside got the broom, don't need a mop. Put your team in the box, put a ribbon on top, we're not John Kerry 'cause we don't flip-flop."

"Bing, bong, sing along. Your team's Al Gore 'cause your views are wrong."

hpdrifter
05-23-2012, 10:43 AM
i watched the first few episodes when it first came out and decided i did not like it at all.

Dude, it took almost a whole season to find its legs but when it did it really really did. Do yourself a favor and give it another chance. It is (a very close) second only to 30 Rock in my heart. I am seriously amazed sometimes by how clever and funny it is. It's stumbled a bit toward the end of this season and I'm not confident about its future with this Dan Harmon thing but if nothing else it has given us several seasons of Arrested Development-level comedy gold.

Dorothy Wood
05-23-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm not that into it. Not sure why.

tpk
05-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Dude, it took almost a whole season to find its legs but when it did it really really did. Do yourself a favor and give it another chance. It is (a very close) second only to 30 Rock in my heart. I am seriously amazed sometimes by how clever and funny it is. It's stumbled a bit toward the end of this season and I'm not confident about its future with this Dan Harmon thing but if nothing else it has given us several seasons of Arrested Development-level comedy gold.didn't watch 30 rock but if you're comparing it to arrested development i might give it another shot.

still though, it comes off so hipster-like it almost makes me cringe just thinking about it. i was pretty much expecting people to flame it on here lol.

ToucanSpam
05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Do any of you post in r/community? Great place to check out Community related memes and news. That's where I learned about the Chevy/Dan feud.

hpdrifter
05-23-2012, 01:32 PM
didn't watch 30 rock but if you're comparing it to arrested development i might give it another shot.

still though, it comes off so hipster-like it almost makes me cringe just thinking about it. i was pretty much expecting people to flame it on here lol.

Well it is a different kind of comedy but is on that level in my humble opinion. Check out Modern Warfare from the end of season 1, I remember this is the episode when I felt the show really started to come into its own.

Then they hit with the one two punch of Epidemiology and Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design in the beginning of season 2 and I was sold. I've never looked back.

ProfJIM
05-23-2012, 07:36 PM
^What he said.

Rodie
05-23-2012, 08:12 PM
This is easily my favorite show on tv. "Ya bit? YA BIT!?"

Sucks that they put it on Friday and fired Harmon, there's no way it'll be back for season 5.

Also I know this is Beastie free and all but for those who don't know you can see Donald Glover in the audience during 3 mcs and 1 dj in AIFST.

Bob
05-23-2012, 10:30 PM
didn't watch 30 rock but if you're comparing it to arrested development i might give it another shot.

i never really got a hipster vibe from the show...i mean jeff is a hipster, also britta to a lesser extent, but you're not supposed to like that about them, it's a character flaw

Pres Zount
05-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Great place to check out Community related memes...

Holy crap, why would I want to do such a thing?

As for the show; I don't mind it. Although I've only seen it a few times in its first season, and it's probably boring and stale by now.

Frenchbgirl
05-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Also I know this is Beastie free and all but for those who don't know you can see Donald Glover in the audience during 3 mcs and 1 dj in AIFST.
thanks, I didn't know that. I'll watch it again! ;)
I love Donald Glover, he's so talented.

Kid Presentable
05-24-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm ready to be disappointed by new Arrested Development.

Time to watch Community I think.

tpk
05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm ready to be disappointed by new Arrested Development.

Time to watch Community I think.you really believe it's coming out? according to an update from march on imdb it says the script is still being worked on.

DIGI
05-24-2012, 12:12 PM
you really believe it's coming out? according to an update from march on imdb it says the script is still being worked on.

Didn't Hurwitz sign a contract for a mini-season via Netflix before the film comes out? Dude's a perfectionist, so it's probably going to take a while.

Anyway, I've always been a pretty big Community fan, but this season suuuuucked imo. And wtf is wrong with Chevy Chase? That miserable old fuck can't be happy anywhere. He should be blowing producer dick all day for being on that show, but all he does is bitch and moan. Pierce is basically a non entity except for the occasional racist/anti-gay slur.

Does anyone watch United Stats of America on History w/ the Sklar Bros? Fucking love that shit.

Helvete
05-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I really do like this show and it's one of the few things on TV that makes me laugh a lot consistently.

ToucanSpam
05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Who is everyone's favorite character? I assume most people will say Jeff.

Rodie
05-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Jeffs cool but I'd have to go with abed or the dean

monkey
05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
i occasionally wake up, grab a cup of coffee, and start singing, "troy and abed in the mooooorning"

i <3 troy and abed. i consider them one entity, even though im fully aware they're both awesome characters on their own accord. and i occasionally feel like im going thru life like Britta, totally pulling Brittas all over the place.

:o

TAL
05-24-2012, 07:09 PM
It's one of the best things ever.

Frenchbgirl
05-24-2012, 07:49 PM
the dean!
and troy is my second favorite character.

Helvete
05-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Annie's boobs.

tpk
05-25-2012, 01:29 AM
i occasionally wake up, grab a cup of coffee, and start singing, "troy and abed in the mooooorning"

i <3 troy and abed. i consider them one entity, even though im fully aware they're both awesome characters on their own accord. and i occasionally feel like im going thru life like Britta, totally pulling Brittas all over the place.

:oyou're mad.

ProfJIM
05-25-2012, 03:27 PM

:o

I have that mug....:) (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560405_10150855845233193_506183192_9919395_1682611 051_n.jpg)

hpdrifter
05-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I remember when the show started I was actually taking classes at the local community college. My favorite character is probably Jeff. Only because I am desperately, passionately in love with Joel McHale.

Kid Presentable
06-04-2012, 06:27 AM
I watched Season One. While I'm going to sound like I hated it, I found it enjoyable enough to persist with Season Two.

Like Parks and Rec, it didn't seem to know what type of show it was early on, but it eventually brought some laughs about halfway through. That said, there weren't a great deal of moments which I thought were amazing. It's sort of like 'Friends' to me; in this new world of smart, self-aware meta-comedies it seems kind of bland.

The paintball episode was utterly inspired, though. Even if 'Spaced' did it better with much less many years ago. And the chicken fingers one was alright, too.

I kind of like the gifs and memes of Alison Brie a little more than I like the show, but it's not horrible.

cosmo105
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Season 3 took a real nosedive and was tough to watch for a while but while going through the latter half it's really picked up. Abed is such a great character.

Joe McHale is insanely hot and I love him forever but overall Abed is really interesting and the Dean is just hilarious. Chang used to be great but they made him too ridiculous. I miss John Oliver's character!

DIGI
06-15-2012, 01:04 PM
You mean post-hair transplant Joel McHale, right?

Donald Glover is one of the most talented motherfuckers on the planet. His Childish Gambino shit is pretty good.

M|X|Y
06-15-2012, 01:46 PM
i watched an episode for the first time last week. the one that's like groundhog day, six different takes on the same story.

gotta say, it was really good. always purposely ignored this show and surprised i enjoyed it (y)

yeahwho
08-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Thanks, show is fucking incredibly zany. Just thinking about it, cracks me up.

E Pluribus Anus my fellow Greendale Community Colleagues