PDA

View Full Version : Dear MCA....

CoolAsACucumber
06-29-2012, 09:12 PM
I originally posted this on my tumblr but I thought I'd share here too as I have kindred spirits here...

Dear MCA...
It’s been 8 weeks since you left us (yes, I am counting) and there hasn’t been a day that goes by that I have not thought of you or listened to you. I am a bit shocked about how much this has affected me, how much I miss you. Wherever you are, I want you to know how very much you meant to me.

You showed me how to grow up, but still be fun.

You showed me how to care about the world, but still be a bad ass.

And you showed me how to be courageous in the face of adversity like a boss.

I don’t feel that you are completely gone from us because the love so many people feel for you, our memories, and the music will make you immortal.

Last night I sat on my porch as the sun went down listening to “Namaste” and “I Don’t Know” and as I looked at the birds in the sky and felt the wind on my face, all I could think about was what a wonderful gift to the world you were and how lucky we were to have you.

Adam Yauch, you are my bodhisattva. Namaste, beautiful soul!

MCA4ever
06-29-2012, 09:18 PM
as I looked at the birds in the sky and felt the wind on my face, all I could think about was what a wonderful gift to the world you were and how lucky we were to have you.

I feel you! Beautifully said. Gone but NEVER forgotten ...

PortlandBGirl
06-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Thank you for sharing, that was beautiful, really captures my feelings too. Even though I am still heart-broken, I feel blessed to have gotten so much from him, his music, his lyrics, his performances, his passion, his integrity. He will live on, like Ad Rock said on the blog (paraphrasing) - the love he put out in the world is coming back to him.

Tati Pryor
06-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Hermoso, thank you for sharing this!

TreasureEverywh
06-30-2012, 12:18 AM

Too right. The man must have had his faults like everyone, but boy, did he seem centred and at peace with himself and the world. And of course, badass :cool:

In one really touching tribute written by a snowboarder friend (posted somewhere on here, I think, but if not, check it out, I really recommend it: http://espn.go.com/espnw/7902538/remembering-one-snowboarding-fallen-heroes-rest-peace-adam-yauch) this was one of the sentences that stood out for me: "He just had a kind of comical inability to understand why you wouldn't follow your dreams if you knew what they were." I'm not sure I've ever met another person of whom this is true.

b-grrrlie
06-30-2012, 04:39 AM
I originally posted this on my tumblr but I thought I'd share here too as I have kindred spirits here...

Dear MCA...
It’s been 8 weeks since you left us (yes, I am counting) and there hasn’t been a day that goes by that I have not thought of you or listened to you. I am a bit shocked about how much this has affected me, how much I miss you. Wherever you are, I want you to know how very much you meant to me.

I don’t feel that you are completely gone from us because the love so many people feel for you, our memories, and the music will make you immortal.

Last night I sat on my porch as the sun went down listening to “Namaste” and “I Don’t Know” and as I looked at the birds in the sky and felt the wind on my face, all I could think about was what a wonderful gift to the world you were and how lucky we were to have you.

Adam Yauch, you are my bodhisattva. Namaste, beautiful soul!
Well said!

I hope I can gather some strength to stand up to my boss who's been giving me shit all summer and I haven't been able to stand up for myself, been like a zombie the last eight weeks (yes, I've been counting as well...) and my workmates haven't been much help either. Except yesterday one girl who's there only every third weekend and friday afternoon (she's on maternity leave). She's the only one who's noticed that everything isn't right.

MCA4ever
06-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Who would have thought that badass kid from Brooklyn would have grown up to be all of those things and so much more!

Good luck B-grrrlie. We got your back :mad:

misspiggy
07-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Still thinking about you each and every day since May 4. Still heartbroken and sad!

kimbeastie
07-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Two months later (almost) and I still think about you (MCA) everyday. I hope your spirit is in a good place and you are keeping your family and brothers safe.

JoLovesMCA
07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
I think about MCA every day. I mean there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about him or Mike and Adam. Many have stated that the music died with him….well that is exactly how it is for me. I put on two songs, just two, and it gave me this really empty feeling. I guess in the past when I would listen to them I would be thinking about the future. I don’t have that now. I need to reprogram my brain or something. I suppose it still isn’t the right time for me to listen to them. I hope a year from now that will change.

WhoMoi?
07-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I think about MCA every day. I mean there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about him or Mike and Adam. Many have stated that the music died with him….well that is exactly how it is for me. I put on two songs, just two, and it gave me this really empty feeling. I guess in the past when I would listen to them I would be thinking about the future. I don’t have that now. I need to reprogram my brain or something. I suppose it still isn’t the right time for me to listen to them. I hope a year from now that will change.

:(
I hope that changes for you too. I think it will.

I find it so interesting how everyone copes with grief so differently. Listening to their music has actually really helped me. I get a pit-in-my-stomach type of sad feeling everyday when I think about Yauch's passing, and how it's the end of the Beastie Boys as we knew them. I think about how I just can't fathom that a such a good, gifted, and inspirational person is gone at such a young age...and the sadness that his family and friends must be going through, and that the BBoys won't be putting out any new music, and I won't ever get to see them perform live again, and how all of that is just so unfair and devastating...

...but my sadness doesn't last for long when I put their music on, because their music always makes me so happy - which I guess is part of the reason why I've always loved it! Same thing with watching clips of their interviews, music videos, and performances - those three guys have always made me laugh, which is one reason why I've been such a fan of theirs, and watching their silly banter and love for each other just makes me so happy. So I'm really grateful for that - that I can put their songs on or find a video of them anytime. The healing power of music, humor, and kindness is amazing - and Beastie Boys have been all about those three things, which is why so many of us loved them in the first place!

Another healing thing for me has been returning to the BBMB and seeing how you all are going through this too. I can't tell you how much that has helped! I had been away from these boards for years before May 4th, and have mostly just been "lurking" and reading ever since that time, not posting since I didn't feel like I could put my thoughts into words at the time...but reading everyone's posts about how they were feeling was so comforting to me, as it made me realize that I wasn't alone in feeling such significant grief over the passing of someone I never knew personally. So thank you all for sharing your thoughts here during these past couple of months; it has helped me - and many others, I'm sure - more than you know.

Wow, totally didn't intend for this post to be so long...didn't mean to "hijack" the thread. Guess I finally found the words for my thoughts...lots and lots of them.
:)

PortlandBGirl
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM

I really hope that changes for you, that makes me sad. :( I know what you are saying about not having the future to think about, that I never get to see them live again, that is what I am struggling with now.

JoLovesMCA
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I really hope that changes for you, that makes me sad. :( I know what you are saying about not having the future to think about, that I never get to see them live again, that is what I am struggling with now.

Thanks. ;) I can't tell you how much their music was a big part of my every day life. Not having it sucks, and when I do try to have it then it still sucks.

I imagine in my mind how HSC would have sounded live. It would have been amazing. The other part of me says you know be thankful they got as far as they did with the album. He could have gotten sick before they recorded new material or filmed the video. I am thankful for those gifts every day.

benchillin
07-22-2012, 06:19 PM
I can not even imagine how backwards this world would be for mr, if it were not for the likes of Adam Yauch and the Beastie Boys.