PDA

View Full Version : Protests

Adam
07-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Anyone ever go on them?

I sometimes do but I say I'll go to way more than I do and only ever as a 'head count' sort of guy. However, last night I was going to go on the Critical Mass bike ride round London and then head home to watch the opening ceremony. I decided to buy chips instead and not bother with the Critical Mass. Che Guevara I ain't.

Turns out there were mass arrests - around 50 initial reports. Pepper spraying of a disabled man on a tricycle and at the time of writing, some people are still on buses waiting to be processed with no food or water 12 hours later. It's all horrible and it shouldn't be allowed and bikes should have more freedom in cities (the whole point of the protest).

BUT

I know the world we live in. Met police issued statements of where the protest could and couldn't go and if you flout those rules on the one the biggest security operations in London ever - what do you expect? Met police have form on being unreasonable (compared to the rest of the UK police, I'm not comparing to LA or NYPD), it's who the met are - London thugs.

Maybe I am getting old and thus more right wing. It just feels to me that last night could of been avoided. But I suppose if the aim was to make a point then it was made, but it makes me think if people like me got caught up in the arrests when following the crowd on a peaceful protests just because a few more of the hot headed shouty ones decided to lead protesters against police advice, then you lose popular support.

Mainly just sounding here but keen to know others thoughts?

ms.peachy
07-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Foolish decision to have decided to stage it now. No secret that there would be zero tolerance. Whilst I agree with their aims, I think it was an extremely bad idea and no way I would have gone if I was still in town. The police and security forces have a few better things to do right now than take time coddling these numpties so if it's taking a long time to process them, oh well, should've thought ahead.

I am a firm believer in the right of public protest, but you have to do it smart or or don't do it at all.

Guy Incognito
07-28-2012, 02:16 AM
There's been a few things in Manchester we have thought about going on but the risk that it'll go off has disuaded us. i know some causes should be worth fighting for but my family comes first.

Adam
07-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Foolish decision to have decided to stage it now. No secret that there would be zero tolerance. Whilst I agree with their aims, I think it was an extremely bad idea and no way I would have gone if I was still in town. The police and security forces have a few better things to do right now than take time coddling these numpties so if it's taking a long time to process them, oh well, should've thought ahead.

I am a firm believer in the right of public protest, but you have to do it smart or or don't do it at all.

It's always the last Friday of every month for years. The protest technically was planned before the Olympics - it's a worldwide thing started somewhere in America or Canada - just so happened that the open ceremony was on the same day. To cancel would of looked really bad

Dorothy Wood
07-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't like critical mass. I ride my bike almost every day, and I think that critical mass does more harm than good...it just makes drivers, bus riders, and other cyclists angry. It does nothing to increase understanding between travelers.

That said, I don't agree with arresting people for riding bikes. It seems they could've been better prepared to just block the riders from entering areas they shouldn't be.

TurdBerglar
07-28-2012, 10:35 PM
critical mass is fucking bullshit

Adam
07-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Yeah, CM has its problems. But one thing I like about it is that it doesn't really have a message other than cyclists shouldn't be considered invisible on the roads - everyone is there for their own reasons. I have massive problems with London cyclists too - running red lights, headphones on, no helmet, some are utter wankers who refuse to admit any mistake (like a lot of drivers). But CM is the main outlet. It's the same every month, it's at a very quiet time for drivers (Friday night) and the police generally leave it alone because it's peaceful.

But alas, it isn't a thread about them. It's a thread about how some lead the easily led or those caught up in a crowd into trouble. It's as bad as when I went to football matches sometimes and part of the reason why I won't go. I want to show solidarity but I don't have the same amount of hate to another team or support a particular cause as much as a loud few.

My point, I think, is; peaceful law abiding protests often wins more arguments than a headline. It's almost as if some entrapped themselves which leads to others getting caught and hurt.

abbott
08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
i prefer to counter attack vs protest. If I am upset with someone for messing up the beach, Ill go pick up trash on the beach.

Kid Presentable
08-03-2012, 08:04 AM
*chucks trash out the window knowing simps will clean up after him*

abbott
08-05-2012, 08:40 AM
if i am upset with anti marijuana laws a smoke a joint

if i think America's kids are all fucked up a raise my own

if i don't like the 2 party system a vote for a 3rd party

if i don't like JCPenney's I never give them my money