PDA

View Full Version : MCA Album Tributes?

fatlip
02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
I am surprised that there are not more recorded MCA/Beastie Boys tributes. I know for other Hip-Hop artists who passed to soon, there have been quite a few tribute songs if not albums. A perfect example would be J Dilla. It seems like everyone had a Dilla tribute record. I seem to remember them coming out pretty quick too.

Now I know not everyone has gotten this treatment ie Heavy D, Guru, Nate Dogg...but to me it just makes sense for MCA considering his and the B-boys influence. I want to hear Paul's Boutique as remixed by Madlib. Or a Roots cover album. I dunno maybe it will come in time.

All I know is that it did suck when Dilla passed but being able to hear "Donuts" soon after was an amazing celebration of his life. Still one of my favorite albums of all time.

RIP MCA

Bernard Goetz
02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I might be wrong, but isn't Donuts a straight-up Dilla album? The Roots' Game Theory had that tribute track, but were there Dilla tribute albums? If there were, it could be because he was a producer/DJ instead of an MC.
I can't really think of any others, for any fallen hip hop star. (I'll Be Missing You excepted)
You know about this though, right?
http://www.djfood.org/djfood/pauls-boutique-remade-by-cheeba-moneyshot-food

damodafoca
02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Dilla produced a lot of different artists, MCA/Beeastie boys didn't work with so much guys.

Brass Monk
02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I am surprised that there are not more recorded MCA/Beastie Boys tributes.

Redman, Erick Sermon, Cypress Hill, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, Lil Kim & Havoc have all recorded tracks that are clearly Beastie Boys tributes (and I know I am forgetting some). Black Thought & De La Sould recorded tribute verses in "Kickin' Wicked Rhymes" and "Squat"

Unless it only counts as a tribute if it was recorded after MCA passed away......