Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   (Some more) Bullshit (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=99997)

cj hood 01-24-2015 06:07 AM

(Some more) Bullshit

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2015/01/23...am-yauch-death

MrSmiley1 01-24-2015 08:14 AM

Re: (Some more) Bullshit

That link doesn't go to the right article for some reason. This one works though

http://www.tmz.com/2015/01/23/beasti...m-yauch-death/

"The surviving members say -- since Adam "MCA" Yauch died from cancer in 2012 -- no one wants them anymore so every dollar counts."

I want to know where they are getting this information. Pretty sure they have never said this not to mention I am sure there are TONS of artists who would love for either one (or both) of them to appear on some tracks, produce, remix songs, etc.

It is TMZ and they like to stir things up so we should take it with a grain of salt.

Extra Cheese 01-24-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley1 (Post 1816385)
Pretty sure they have never said this not to mention I am sure there are TONS of artists who would love for either one (or both) of them to appear on some tracks, produce, remix songs, etc.

there has to be something being left out with all the legal stuff being reported. I could understand asking for lawyer fees to be paid by saying monster forced their hand at going the legal route. but I can't understand "we can't work" being a valid reason for asking for fees to be paid. They can clearly work(barring some health issue that keeps them from doing so that we are unaware of") they choose not to.

"The surviving members say -- since Adam "MCA" Yauch died from cancer in 2012 -- no one wants them anymore so every dollar counts."

There is no way possible they're going to court with that as their validation.

Laver1969 01-24-2015 12:07 PM

Sounds like some tmz sensationalism to me.

Michelle*s_Farm 01-25-2015 05:43 AM

Could be Monster trying to twist their words in order to win against them. For example contact a reporter and propose a slant or supposed quote. Hard to say, but it looks suspicious to me.

I think the band's argument is sound regarding the use of Beastie Boys' material unlawfully and the costs associated with this infringement. The three of them cannot make new material. It makes sense that an artist would want their work protected from exploitation or mis-use. It also means that their legal fees should be paid back when Monster decides to counter-sue or simply exhaust the band's resources unnecessarily. It is shame that Monster cannot simply settle out and leave them alone. The remaining members would probably be better off focusing on their futures rather than getting tied up in drawn out legal battles protecting Beastie Boys' legacy. It must be a terrible drag to have to do that (i.e., business management side of things) when you are an artist.

Sir SkratchaLot 01-25-2015 07:08 AM

Those legal fees don't seem right either. The whole thing seems suspect. Notice how they don't use quotes, but paraphrase. Things that make you go "hmmmmmm".

Sir SkratchaLot 01-25-2015 01:14 PM

This is much better
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-fees-20150120

KENNY GUIDO 01-26-2015 10:41 AM

It could be right. I know a lot artists that still depend on tourin for thier income, while holding down a regular job. It seems that the Beastie world is getting smaller and smaller. I was dating a girl that didn't like the Beastie boys and laughed me for listening to them
Mind u , she is only 27 years old but whats thier not to like about them? It sucks that in don't hear the radio anymore and I only know of one station in new York that plays them and i think.that's really sad. As much as I know they are "done" as a group, I would still throw down my hard earned cash to watch them perform again. I also heard some fans of another 90s grunge group got 100 grand together to get thier favorite group to perform again. I hope Adam and mike never go that route but it would.be awesome to have.them peform show solely for us.

JoLovesMCA 01-26-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO (Post 1816394)
It could be right. I know a lot artists that still depend on tourin for thier income, while holding down a regular job. It seems that the Beastie world is getting smaller and smaller. I was dating a girl that didn't like the Beastie boys and laughed me for listening to them
Mind u , she is only 27 years old but whats thier not to like about them? It sucks that in don't hear the radio anymore and I only know of one station in new York that plays them and i think.that's really sad. As much as I know they are "done" as a group, I would still throw down my hard earned cash to watch them perform again. I also heard some fans of another 90s grunge group got 100 grand together to get thier favorite group to perform again. I hope Adam and mike never go that route but it would.be awesome to have.them peform show solely for us.

I remember Yauch stating a few years before he died that he didn't have the kind of money saved that one would expect him to have. I guess for their level of fame/success they do live modestly and so there isn't any room to lose large chunks of money.

Sounds like TMZ is taking Mike D's courtroom comment about how they can't make anymore music because Yauch died, but he didn't say it like that. If the stories keep rehashing that it will eventually cause Horovitz to respond. I mean he has before when they've taken things out of context.

Houston's Classic Hiphop station plays the Beastie's daily!

brooklyndust 01-26-2015 04:55 PM

TMZ is absolute garbage. They're are pure scum, and I wouldn't believe anything they report especially if it deals with actual news.

I would find it very hard to believe that Mike D and his wife are flat out broke, especially if you know anything about the Diamond family background.

And Didn't Ad-rock just buy a new house for $2 mill or something?

As for Yauch's wealth, after he passed away there were some news reports stating that he had a net worth of $6-7 million dollars, which I believe some went to his family and the rest to charities.

$6-7 million seems like a realistic figure for each member. I don't think it's nowhere near the $75 - $100 million as Forbes and celeb net worth websties seem to state.
But overall is not really any of our business.

camo 01-27-2015 02:45 AM

Sold out Worldwide tours, Number 1 Albums coming out 30 years after they formed and not a single gold plated Bentley or Malibu mansion in sight - I'd say that they did well with their money…not that its anyones damned business ;)

cj hood 01-27-2015 10:14 AM

There might be some truth to this story after all. Regardless, you gotta adjust your spending when your income changes...whether your're a millionaire or make $35K a year....

brooklyndust 01-27-2015 04:46 PM

I think the most surprising thing is that Guido is dating a 27 year old.

camo 01-28-2015 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1816401)

Ouch

KENNY GUIDO 01-29-2015 10:21 AM

Haters!

camo 01-30-2015 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO (Post 1816407)
Haters!

Actually I'd High5 you.

Micodin 01-30-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1816401)

Haha. Gold.