Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Star Wars VII reference. (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100142)

Odie 09-24-2015 06:24 AM

Star Wars VII reference.

Character Allo Asty (Hello Nasty, get it?) from the new star wars movie apparently tribute to the Boys.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/09/st...-is-a-beastie/

I was wondering if this tradition of squeezing in little Beastie nods would continue from Star Trek into Star Wars. Is JJ Abrams a fan?

Sir SkratchaLot 09-24-2015 07:26 AM

Re: Star Wars VII reference.

I love the Beasties, but this is bodes badly as far as the new Star Wars movies. Why do they need to throw in "clever" references to modern day anything? All it does is detract from the story and the fiction of the whole thing. References to ET, Jar Jar saying "Exqueeze me?" Why not throw in Darth Vader b-boying, Storm Troopers can break out in the Thriller Dance and Bobba Fett can get Rick Rolled in there somewhere?(n)

Bernard Goetz 09-24-2015 08:50 AM

I agree 100%. I hate all that shit, even R2 & 3PO carved into the imagery of the snake pit in Raiders. It's dumb.

Micodin 09-24-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odie (Post 1817694)
Character Allo Asty (Hello Nasty, get it?) from the new star wars movie apparently tribute to the Boys.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/09/st...-is-a-beastie/

I was wondering if this tradition of squeezing in little Beastie nods would continue from Star Trek into Star Wars. Is JJ Abrams a fan?

He's a 40ish Jewish kid from NYC. Of course he's a fan! ;)

I'm a SW nerd and I love the nod!

dirtydan11 09-24-2015 06:36 PM

I'm with you. It's totally awesome!
Of course being very biased. I would puke if he was a fan of some band I hated and I knew there were references. But whatever, we are lucky! I am also a huge Star Wars fan and if I were JJ Abrams I would do the same. It was done cleverly enough that its not obvious to non fans anyway

MCScoobyT 09-24-2015 07:36 PM

How could anyone hate on Beasties and Star Wars united?!? I guess it was also wack when Mike D spit that 'I walk like Jabba the Hut' line too, RIGHT... Come on guys :confused:

Brass Monk 09-24-2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1817695)
I love the Beasties, but this is bodes badly as far as the new Star Wars movies. Why do they need to throw in "clever" references to modern day anything? .................

If the new Star Wars sucks, and it certainly likes like there is a good possibility, it will have nothing to do with vague pop culture references.

Bernard Goetz 09-25-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCScoobyT (Post 1817700)
I guess it was also wack when Mike D spit that 'I walk like Jabba the Hut' line too, RIGHT... Come on guys :confused:

If someone had a problem with a pop culture reference in a Beastie Boys song, they might not understand what a Beastie Boys song is. But, a Beastie reference in a Star Wars movie is a whole other topic.

KENNY GUIDO 10-01-2015 06:04 AM

It says "born to Ill" on his helmet.

YoungRemy 10-01-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brass Monk (Post 1817701)
If the new Star Wars sucks, and it certainly likes like there is a good possibility, it will have nothing to do with vague pop culture references.

based on?

I don't know what would give you that perception, it seems like it is picking up some steam as far as hype and expectations go.

I expect it to outshine the prequels but that's not expecting much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO (Post 1817750)
It says "born to Ill" on his helmet.

that is indeed what the link in the original post details.

WesleyOHSnaps! 10-01-2015 11:56 PM

I knew this was going to happen in some way and I think it's dope as fuck.

taquitos 10-02-2015 08:24 AM

I support this. I doubt it will be so blatant that it detracts from the immersive qualities of the film.

dirtydan11 10-03-2015 07:46 AM

There are actually a lot of Star Wars characters that are sneaky references to modern pop culture, it's kind of a tradition that's carried on in all previous 6 films.

Brass Monk 10-03-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungRemy (Post 1817755)
based on?

I don't know what would give you that perception, it seems like it is picking up some steam as far as hype and expectations go.

I expect it to outshine the prequels but that's not expecting much.

Because the trailer doesn't look much better than the prequel trailers did (although I know it's just a trailer). JJ Abrams is also an overrated filmmaker. He got good reviews for the star trek reboots, mostly because the bar was so low for star trek movies. Truth is those movies were lame. Also Harrison Ford looks untintentionally hilarious.
It will be as good as Revenge of the Sith at best (which to me was the 1 decent prequel).

Phantom Menace 10-03-2015 10:02 PM

Star Wars references are sick.

abbott 10-04-2015 09:23 AM

I like it alot
Born to Ill:)

Bernard Goetz 10-05-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydan11 (Post 1817765)
There are actually a lot of Star Wars characters that are sneaky references to modern pop culture, it's kind of a tradition that's carried on in all previous 6 films.

Like? I can't think of one from the original three.

dirtydan11 10-05-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz (Post 1817777)
Like? I can't think of one from the original three.

This is a really interesting list of many many words, characters, and places in the Star Wars universe and how they got their name.
I could only find a handful of actual pop references in there, but I'll try to find more of those.

http://www.starwarsselect.com/wordorigins.html

One example of a pop reference is Gi, Sha'a. This self-doubting Jedi Padawan's name and appearance are a nod to Scooby Doo's panicky pal Shaggy.

Micodin 10-05-2015 06:47 PM

I love Star Wars. Yes, the prequels make me cringe during viewings. But, the new show Rebels is great and I trust in JJ. Plus, BB-8 looks dope!

Nerd Fight 10-06-2015 07:31 AM

It's not enough for me. I want Chewbacca to turn to Han and say 'I love you' like the dog from the beginning of sure shot.
And then Han says 'I know'.

MrSmiley1 10-07-2015 06:59 AM

^ I approve of this.

Bernard Goetz 10-07-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydan11 (Post 1817778)
This is a really interesting list of many many words, characters, and places in the Star Wars universe and how they got their name.
I could only find a handful of actual pop references in there, but I'll try to find more of those.

http://www.starwarsselect.com/wordorigins.html

One example of a pop reference is Gi, Sha'a. This self-doubting Jedi Padawan's name and appearance are a nod to Scooby Doo's panicky pal Shaggy.

That is a cool page, thanks. But be fair, you did say "a lot of Star Wars characters ... are sneaky references to modern pop culture...in all previous 6 films." I don't count one reference from the original three movies to modern pop culture, except maybe The Day The Earth Stood Still.

dirtydan11 10-09-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz (Post 1817796)
That is a cool page, thanks. But be fair, you did say "a lot of Star Wars characters ... are sneaky references to modern pop culture...in all previous 6 films." I don't count one reference from the original three movies to modern pop culture, except maybe The Day The Earth Stood Still.

I know and I was quoting something I read in an article discussing the Ello Asty character! I trusted it to be true so I mentioned it earlier. I'll link to that article later tonight anyway

WesleyOHSnaps! 10-10-2015 11:03 AM

I read that the BB-8 droid is also a Beastie Boys nod. Not sure if that's totally true, but I can see it.

cj hood 10-10-2015 03:52 PM

It is. Beastie Boys-8 studio albums

Sir SkratchaLot 10-11-2015 07:42 AM

There's also a Bothan called Eaky Ouch and it's a reference to sneaky pouch.

Rumor has it they'll be playing sections from In Sound From Way Out in the Creature Cantina. Fuck Star Wars, this shit is going to be the next B-Boys movie.

abbott 10-16-2015 06:15 PM

i pulled out my dvd of ...

aifst.... aka ... awesome I fukcking shot this

and I was thinking

the cover may have been a Star Wars related thing

camo 10-19-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbott (Post 1817856)
i pulled out my dvd of ...

aifst.... aka ... awesome I fukcking shot this

and I was thinking

the cover may have been a Star Wars related thing

Yup. It sure is.

Also the references worked back with one of my all time fave lines: 'Like gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader I'm a souped-up sucker and I'll see you all later'.

dirtydan11 10-19-2015 03:26 PM

Known for the words that make you scream and holler,
I'm Count Dooku to your Queen Amidala
:)

dirtydan11 10-19-2015 03:29 PM

Don't mess with crack or the baking soda
Whether in the high rise where you live like Rhoda
Or in the shack and you live like Yoda
:)