Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beastie Boys and Spike Jonze Announce New Documentary (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100663)

Micodin 01-15-2020 12:38 PM

Beastie Boys and Spike Jonze Announce New Documentary

Beastie Boys’ Mike D and Adam “Ad-Rock” Horovitz, along with Spike Jonze, have announced a new documentary: Beastie Boys Story will debut on IMAX on April 3, followed by a global release on April 24 via Apple TV+. Jonze directed the movie and co-wrote it with Mike D and Ad-Rock. The project grew out of Jonze and the Beasties’ massive Beastie Boys Book, according to a press release.

“There are some friends you have lunch with so many times over the years, you know their order,” Mike D and Ad-Rock said in a statement. “Spike is one of those friends. And even when you don’t recognize anything on the menu, he comes up with something good for the whole table. Like when we wondered what to do when our book comes out... then Spike placed his order: You will put on a show for the children.”

Spike Jonze added, “I owe Beastie Boys a lot. One time, they pulled me out of a burning ship, and another time they helped me cheat on my college exam to get into Florida State. So, it was a real privilege to get to reunite with them and help them tell their story.”

Coming up, Jonze and Beastie Boys will release a photo book. The collection, called Beastie Boys, is out March 17.

Extra Cheese 01-15-2020 12:45 PM

Re: Beastie Boys and Spike Jonze Announce New Documentary

Hmmmmm, do I need hardware for appletv+

Let me go use the internet

Friis gal 01-15-2020 12:49 PM

Yay!

And it is all over social media now:

"“Wait, what!?! I just heard that Mike Diamond and Adam Horovitz made a movie about Beastie Boys and their lives growing up around a lot of crazy ass sh*t in NYC with Spike Jonze. Is that for real?" - Larry from Weehawken

“Yes. It is for real. It's kind of a live documentary film, mostly filmed at our shows at Kings Theatre in Brooklyn last year by Spike and we think you’re gonna love it.” - Us

Beastie Boys Story streams on Apple TV starting April 24 and a special cut of the film opens in select IMAX theatres on April 3.

Lot’s more to come."

And they have changed their Instagram name to be beastieboysstory

Mike D and The Echo Chamber has made me get Apple Music. Better get to figure out what Apple TV is all about now.

Friis gal 01-15-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Cheese (Post 1822851)
Hmmmmm, do I need hardware for appletv+

Let me go use the internet

My little quick research says that I can get it as an app on my iPhone, and stream it and cast it to my TV (I got Chromecast).

Hopefully we will be able to just buy the video (or rent) and not have to pay for a monthly subscription.

Micodin 01-15-2020 01:28 PM

you can get a free trial for Apple TV+ for 7 days and cancel afterwards.

dust monkey 01-15-2020 02:30 PM

download torrent, watch on plex, pay to see in IMAX more than once.

M|X|Y 01-15-2020 03:08 PM

does this mean a news round of premiers, shows, books, signings, interviews, cameos, merchandise and appearances?!?!?!?!?!?

Taco Zip 01-15-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M|X|Y (Post 1822856)
does this mean a news round of premiers, shows, books, signings, interviews, cameos, merchandise and appearances?!?!?!?!?!?

Certainly hope so!
And let's also hope the movie will be playing in cinemas in Europe as well!

NicRN77 01-15-2020 04:32 PM

FINALLY! Released almost a year to the day I saw the show in Brooklyn. Can’t wait to see this in IMAX!

pesto pizza 01-16-2020 03:58 AM

I wonder if it will be shown in IMAX in Europe?

abbott 01-16-2020 07:59 AM

awesome news. Cant wait, Hope to see it on the big screen in New Mexico.

koper_ 01-16-2020 12:05 PM

Exciting time, looking forward to it (y)

Sir SkratchaLot 01-16-2020 02:32 PM

I'm interested to see what footage they use. I was at the Philly show and the crowd was great but from what I heard the Brooklyn crowds were kind of lame. I have to imagine they want to bill the show as happening in NYC but if the footage was better in Philly I wonder if we'll see more of that venue.

Sir SkratchaLot 01-17-2020 09:21 AM

Also, I hope to god they do a blu ray.

Eoin MCL 01-17-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1822866)
Also, I hope to god they do a blu ray.

Same here! A physical release is a must!

Ireland only has one IMAX screen as far as I know, and it’s a bit out of my way, but if they wind up showing it I’ll definitely go!

WesleyOHSnaps! 01-18-2020 07:36 AM

There has to be a physical release or at least a download you can purchase. They can’t expect everyone to sign up to Apple TV+ or what ever it’s called and if they do it’ll just be for the free trail to watch it.

abbott 01-18-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! (Post 1822871)
There has to be a physical release or at least a download you can purchase. They can’t expect everyone to sign up to Apple TV+ or what ever it’s called and if they do it’ll just be for the free trail to watch it.

Disney Plus baby yoda style

So your saying it’s a profit thing?

YoungRemy 01-18-2020 04:21 PM

Great news, I’ll be making the effort to see it in theaters and stream it whatever way possible. And if they release it in the marketplace as a physical thing that would be cool too but this is 2020 and I won’t demand or moan over how I consume my content

dave790 01-19-2020 02:46 AM

I’d like a physical release but I’d be surprised. Streaming services main objective is to get paying subscribers, and they are becoming even more cynical in regards to offering any alternatives ways to view their content (free trials aside).

I’d like the doc in my collection, ideally alongside The Irishman on blu-ray! But I don’t think it will happen sadly.

Good news about the doc either way. One can only presume there are better financial incentives via this admittedly common and current distribution route.

Brother McDuff 01-19-2020 10:45 AM

the whole imax detail is intriguing. should we be expecting something unique? i wouldnt peg documentaries as typical candidates for the imax treatment. then again, i dont go to see alot of docs at the cinema either.

perhaps they are simply scaling up to make folks feel like theyre physically at the theatre/performance.

dah well. eager for the screening locations and dates to be released. i always feel a little edgy until i have tickets in hand for these events, even if they arent even available yet.

Micodin 01-19-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1822875)
the whole imax detail is intriguing. should we be expecting something unique? i wouldnt peg documentaries as typical candidates for the imax treatment. then again, i dont go to see alot of docs at the cinema either.

documentaries are huge for IMAX, it’s nothing new. i’ve seen a bunch just the past couple of years. Pandas, Free Solo and Hidden Pacific looked great on the big screen and i just recently watched Apollo 11 and since most of that is shot in 70mm it looked and sounded ridiculous.

if you want to see a documentary in the cinema, IMAX is the only way to go. their screen and sound can’t be matched. i’m very excited for this release.

WesleyOHSnaps! 01-19-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbott (Post 1822872)
Disney Plus baby yoda style

So your saying it’s a profit thing?

Not by the beastie boys and no I’m not saying that. Besides so many people jumped ship on Disney + when the Mandalorina season ended.

Brother McDuff 01-20-2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822876)
documentaries are huge for IMAX, it’s nothing new. i’ve seen a bunch just the past couple of years. Pandas, Free Solo and Hidden Pacific looked great on the big screen and i just recently watched Apollo 11 and since most of that is shot in 70mm it looked and sounded ridiculous.

if you want to see a documentary in the cinema, IMAX is the only way to go. their screen and sound can’t be matched. i’m very excited for this release.

(y) right on. i never knew, but makes sense. looking forward

dust monkey 01-20-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822876)
documentaries are huge for IMAX, it’s nothing new. i’ve seen a bunch just the past couple of years. Pandas, Free Solo and Hidden Pacific....

the artist formally known as kanye west

Micodin 01-20-2020 05:20 PM

sorry, i don’t get the reference.

dust monkey 01-21-2020 11:42 AM

he recently had that IMAX run for jesus is king

Micodin 01-21-2020 12:03 PM

ah yes, i forgot about that. i stopped checking for Ye after he went nuts and started wearing MAGA hats.

dust monkey 01-22-2020 02:46 PM

yea dude lost his mind and that was ok, but i drew the line when the red hat appeared. on the other hand, larry david found a very good use for it in curb s10e01 and the scene with the biker dude was just about the funniest thing i've seen in a long time.

i love larry david almost as much as i love the beasties...almost.

brooklyndust 01-23-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust monkey (Post 1822895)
yea dude lost his mind and that was ok, but i drew the line when the red hat appeared. on the other hand, larry david found a very good use for it in curb s10e01 and the scene with the biker dude was just about the funniest thing i've seen in a long time.

i love larry david almost as much as i love the beasties...almost.

The whole episode was great. They usually don't have as many bits packed into one episode. Loved it, they really set up some fun arcs for the season.

M|X|Y 01-24-2020 12:30 AM

i kind of hoped this was going to be a biopic type thing. still looking fwd to it

when will someone make actual good movie about the 90s ??