Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   dud (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100508)

cj hood 11-06-2018 07:47 AM

dud

https://www.today.com/video/beastie-...47526?v=railb&

Uru-Nitro 11-06-2018 09:34 AM

Re: dud

before "what comes around" I'd put as a dud:

-to all the girls
-5 Piece Chicken Dinner
-Ask For Janice

(y)

Jiberish 11-06-2018 09:45 AM

"What Comes Around" KNOCKS. It is so much fun, and the beat is really weird and different. But to each their own.

Brother McDuff 11-06-2018 12:55 PM

the Alice Cooper guitar/drum-fill snippet is such a delightfully alienating interjection to the main Gene Harris treatment. it illustrates my favorite quality in sampling perfectly; the juxtaposition of random genres, eras, temperaments, etc. to create this harmonious kaleidoscope of non-sequitirs, to highly psychedelic effect.

dave790 11-06-2018 02:32 PM

Yeah, I've heard them say this before - the PB commentary maybe? The song is solid. I could probably do without the Pamstylin' at the end (funny at the time I'm sure), otherwise it's a neat little jam. Love the piano lines, and as mentioned the Cooper sample.

=Shadrach= 11-06-2018 02:45 PM

What?!?!?!? How is this song a "dud"???!?!? Always loved it as equally as everything else on that masterpiece. Album is flawless.

Sir SkratchaLot 11-06-2018 03:04 PM

Doris the Finkasauris tho.

Jiberish 11-06-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1821175)
Yeah, I've heard them say this before - the PB commentary maybe? The song is solid. I could probably do without the Pamstylin' at the end (funny at the time I'm sure), otherwise it's a neat little jam. Love the piano lines, and as mentioned the Cooper sample.

I remember playing this song for an ex-girlfriend, 15ish years ago, specifically because of those honky tonk player piano lines. Like I mimed them out when the song got to that point. And she was just like "so what? Practice long enough and you could play that too."

I said, "no, they SAMPLED that from some other record and made it fit in w/ everything else. It's ALL samples."

and she was just like"... Oh... that's actually pretty amazing. Yeah, this song is pretty great."

Also, yeah the funky Pam thing is silly. (and they've def shit on this song before. I am flabbergasted every time. That pasta primavera/Geraldo Rivera line makes me laugh every time I hear the song.

ClarenceAlabama 11-06-2018 05:15 PM

The only song I felt they could have left off was... Johnny Ryall.

cj hood 11-07-2018 06:39 AM

maybe cuz of the sexist lyrics?

laura 11-07-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiberish (Post 1821178)
That pasta primavera/Geraldo Rivera line makes me laugh every time I hear the song.

Same here! And probably the first italian words I clearly heard

Jiberish 11-07-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarenceAlabama (Post 1821179)

The first time I heard Paul's Boutique, and for like a year or two afterwards it was my least favorite song. But now I think it may be my favorite (prob not my actual fave, but way up there) off that album.. For no reason

dave790 11-07-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiberish (Post 1821178)
I said, "no, they SAMPLED that from some other record and made it fit in w/ everything else. It's ALL samples."

and she was just like"... Oh... that's actually pretty amazing. Yeah, this song is pretty great."

Amen. To be fair, I was so young / naive when I first heard Paul’s that, even though I liked it, I failed to grasp the genius in creating such a coherent collage of samples. It was probably a good year or two later that the penny really dropped. I understood stuff like Sure Shot and Root Down were built around particular samples, but the idea that like 95% of the music you were hearing on Paul’s is sampled seemed ridiculous.

Brother McDuff 11-07-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarenceAlabama (Post 1821179)

smoking crack is bad for you

ClarenceAlabama 11-07-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1821193)
smoking crack is bad for you

:mad: HEY, Why I oughta...

but seriously... the production on Paul's is top notch, but I always felt Shake your Rump followed by Eggman would have flowed better. :p

dave790 11-07-2018 04:20 PM

The transition into Ryall sounds so perfect though!

I can't be knocking it, thumping beat and samples, and perhaps the only sustained character piece in their back catalogue. Each to their own though!

Difficult to change anything on the record. If forced I'd maybe make a push for a full length Stop That Train in place of Chicken Dinner but maybe that's too much of a good thing. And Chicken Dinner is a wonderful early inclination of what fed Country Mike!

Brother McDuff 11-07-2018 11:09 PM

5-piece into lookin down the barrel is epic. pure chaos spliced directly into that heavy gothic break. mm, so so def

lookin down the barrel has really proven to be quite the foreshadowing to where they were to go after PB. just a coupla years later and i think that tune would have featured variety mic distortion vocal treatment

Kid Presentable 11-08-2018 07:34 AM

^ then car thief follows.

Justin 11-08-2018 11:16 PM

It’s nice to see the ‘board back together again’! Took me a week or so to remember my PW, but here I am. Hope all of you are doing great!!!

As it relates to PB....I would say Hey Ladies. I’m always skipping over the song and lets be honest....it wasn’t exactly the best song selection by Capital to put out as the 1st single. It would have been great if they put out a live version of Shake Your Rump or Shadrach as the 1st single/video. Shadrachon Soul Train = A++++

ClarenceAlabama 11-09-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 1821208)
It’s nice to see the ‘board back together again’! Took me a week or so to remember my PW, but here I am. Hope all of you are doing great!!!

As it relates to PB....I would say Hey Ladies. I’m always skipping over the song and lets be honest....it wasn’t exactly the best song selection by Capital to put out as the 1st single. It would have been great if they put out a live version of Shake Your Rump or Shadrach as the 1st single/video. Shadrachon Soul Train = A++++

Doooon...Corneeeellliusss! :D

Micodin 11-10-2018 08:34 AM

for what its worth pauls boutique is a perfect album. no skips. couldn’t imagine it any other way.

Micodin 11-10-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1821201)
lookin down the barrel has really proven to be quite the foreshadowing to where they were to go after PB. just a coupla years later and i think that tune would have featured variety mic distortion vocal treatment

agreed. i think that song always sounded more beastie than dust bros.

Brother McDuff 11-10-2018 08:53 AM

the way they use that stab from Pink Floyd's 'Time' is so wicked, and the 'Mississippi Queen' fill, complete with the feedback sliver. omg, dopeness overload

Micodin 11-10-2018 09:25 AM

i was hooked by the bongo players drum loop. DRUMS!!!

Jiberish 11-10-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1821218)
for what its worth pauls boutique is a perfect album. no skips. couldn’t imagine it any other way.

agreed. 100%

tjpop 11-23-2018 11:11 AM

They are messin' with us...as usual ;). It's much cooler/funnier to say this or that song is a dud, as opposed to admitting flawlessness!
That's how I took the comments.

PB is perfect bookend to bookend.