Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Similar music style recommendation (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100554)

Micodin 02-19-2019 05:31 AM

Re: Similar music style recommendation

tammy d shot the MMMBop vid.

Kid Presentable 02-19-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1821693)
tammy d shot the MMMBop vid.

Didn’t the Dust Bros produce it?

Micodin 02-19-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Presentable (Post 1821694)
Didn’t the Dust Bros produce it?

yeah man.

those are E.Z. Mike scratches you're hearing :)

Brother McDuff 02-19-2019 10:47 AM

joanie loved chachi.

Jiberish 02-19-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1821688)
many sources ive found indicate a production credit for Mario on Minus, fwiw.

I was JUST reading ( a month or two ago) in the magazine TAPE OP, that whoever co-produced MINUS (i forget his name) booked G-Son for the session (or maybe the label did) assume that he was the producer of said forth-coming session.

Mario was excited that Beck was gonna record at the studio and also assumed that they were booking him to produce. The other guy kind of let Mario run the show (since it was HIS studio) and then eventually they found a rhythm and sort of co-produced the session together.

Other random musings on this thread: Edan is indeed an amazing MC/Producer/DJ. His experimental instrumental record (Echo Party) is a great party soundtrack. His second full length ,Beauty & The Beat, is a sample masterpiece. And the dude can rap.

I loved Das Racist. I really thought that they might be this generations Beastie Boys. Adrock made a beat and gave it to the group. But they didn't like it. Kool A.D. used it on one of his solo albums. It's kind of just an alright song.

Micodin 02-19-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiberish (Post 1821697)
Other random musings on this thread: Edan is indeed an amazing MC/Producer/DJ. His experimental instrumental record (Echo Party) is a great party soundtrack. His second full length ,Beauty & The Beat, is a sample masterpiece. And the dude can rap.

I loved Das Racist. I really thought that they might be this generations Beastie Boys. Adrock made a beat and gave it to the group. But they didn't like it. Kool A.D. used it on one of his solo albums. It's kind of just an alright song.

can't agree enough about Edan. it's all good.

i love Das Racist and Heems quite a bit too. it's a shame Kool A.D. turned out to be a shit person.

i've been listening to a lot of the Def Jux catalog quite a bit the past couple of years. there's a lot of quality experimental stuff in there to mine as well. great hip hop.

brooklyndust 02-19-2019 11:43 AM

Not Beasties related but since we have been talking about Beck a fair bit, does anyone know if or when the reissue for Midnight Vultures on wax is going to come out?

He has re-released almost all of his other albums on vinyl except for that one. I read that he himself isn't a huge fan of the album and the critics generally panned it, but I happen to be a huge fan of it.

Micodin 02-19-2019 12:29 PM

i also highly recommend Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf "Big Shots" record. great rapping and production.

tragic story tho.

dust monkey 02-19-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1821690)
hang tight....Spring is right around the corner....rock those EPMD records til then....

hahaha....dude what happens in the spring? these da vinci code posts i just love. warming up, it's spring again, etc. etc..

did everyone just pass this lil cryptic nugget up?

brooklyndust 02-19-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1821700)
i also highly recommend Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf "Big Shots" record. great rapping and production.

tragic story tho.

Speaking of Peanut Butter Wolf, you ever check this doc: My Vinyl Weighs a Ton

Late-Night Lion 02-19-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust monkey (Post 1821702)
hahaha....dude what happens in the spring? these da vinci code posts i just love. warming up, it's spring again, etc. etc..

did everyone just pass this lil cryptic nugget up?

Hmmmm well this is interesting...could it be possible new music from people in the Beastie circle?

brooklyndust 02-19-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Late-Night Lion (Post 1821704)
Hmmmm well this is interesting...could it be possible new music from people in the Beastie circle?

Nope, but CJ has been doing that Dan Brown style for years, even if you pry, that is probably the most info were going to get for now.

Sounds really good though.

Brother McDuff 02-19-2019 09:17 PM

this is turning into an Edan lovefest...

and i like it. :)

great story about Minus recording session. love it. (y)

Late-Night Lion 02-20-2019 07:50 AM

Thanks for the Edan recommendation, starting with Beaty and the Beat and really enjoying it.

As far as stuff that I would recommend, definitely Tribe, De La, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, The Avalanches, Beck (mostly 90's Beck through Modern Guilt at least), The Clash, Gorillaz, El-P, Funkadelic, Janelle Monae, MF Doom stuff like Madvillain, King Krule, Mos Def, Outkast, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Rancid (if you like the punk stuff), Thundercat, and the Voidz.

Brother McDuff 02-20-2019 08:13 AM

If youre seeking a companion to Pauls Boutique, the following records are in league in terms of production technique:

three feet high - de la
it takes a nation - public enemy
peoples instinctive travels - tribe

brooklyndust 02-20-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1821713)
If youre seeking a companion to Pauls Boutique, the following records are in league in terms of production technique:

three feet high - de la
it takes a nation - public enemy

and Paul's

The holy trifecta of sampling brilliance

honorable mention to the ATCQ album as well.

dust monkey 02-20-2019 02:18 PM

i don't mention Nation because every single person in the world including my mom should automatically add the first 3 1/2 PE records to their mandatory listen-to-before-you-die list. especially Nation...that's about as much of a given/guarantee than you could have.

has Czarface been mentioned? if you like grimy east coast beats and rapping you should def check out Czar. they just released Czarface meets Ghostface and it's awesome, but all their records are great.

Micodin 02-28-2019 02:29 PM

currently listening to The Hurra and i don't get the hate.

the beats sound pretty nice to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

brooklyndust 02-28-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1821757)

Which album?

Micodin 02-28-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1821758)
Which album?

The Hurra

Sir SkratchaLot 02-28-2019 04:41 PM

I used to spot Edan frequently in my neck of the woods (VA/MD/DC). Back in the late 90s he was at most hip hop jams with his Cub Scout hat and Technics record bag slinging his records. I used to seem him in DC quite a bit too. I always felt like he was the home-town guy who made it to the big leagues. He may still blow up but I always felt like he never got the props he deserved.

Kid Presentable 02-28-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1821757)

It’s not hate, it’s just nothing special. A few of the beats are pretty nice.

brooklyndust 03-01-2019 02:31 AM

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but BadBadNotGood a local band from here in Toronto the graduated from the Humber Music jazz program is worth checking out.

You can even see them jamming with Mike D on the echo chamber here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ3QAMtQOrQ

Jiberish 03-01-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1821760)
I used to spot Edan frequently in my neck of the woods (VA/MD/DC). Back in the late 90s he was at most hip hop jams with his Cub Scout hat and Technics record bag slinging his records. I used to seem him in DC quite a bit too. I always felt like he was the home-town guy who made it to the big leagues. He may still blow up but I always felt like he never got the props he deserved.

Ha! That's weird. He was at Berklee College of Music around the time I was going to Mass Art (or maybe just after). I knew a bunch of people who either collab'd with him, or who would just see him around at all the Boston hip hop stuff. I even had one friend who was a waiter and a hip hop fan, who always saw Edan at his restaurant/book store and would talk to him about music, and stuff.

So for me, he's my "home-town guy who made it to the big leagues." even though I didn't know about him until right before he left for Brooklyn.

Jiberish 03-01-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Presentable (Post 1821761)
It’s not hate, it’s just nothing special. A few of the beats are pretty nice.

Hurra has some nice beats. His 3rd album Don't Sleep was something I played now and again. The only song I really remember is Kickin' Wicked Rhymes, with Ad-Rock and Black Thought. It's a great beat, and Adrock destroys it, as does Black Thought. Great hook too. I haven't actually heard the song in over a decade, but I can still hear it playing in the back of my brain.

I've never listened to his first or second album, other than the Bboy cuts. I might do that.

Micodin 03-01-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiberish (Post 1821775)
Ha! That's weird. He was at Berklee College of Music around the time I was going to Mass Art (or maybe just after). I knew a bunch of people who either collab'd with him, or who would just see him around at all the Boston hip hop stuff.

are u a big Mr. Lif fan? i love that dude

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiberish (Post 1821776)
Hurra has some nice beats. His 3rd album Don't Sleep was something I played now and again. The only song I really remember is Kickin' Wicked Rhymes, with Ad-Rock and Black Thought. It's a great beat, and Adrock destroys it, as does Black Thought. Great hook too. I haven't actually heard the song in over a decade, but I can still hear it playing in the back of my brain.

I've never listened to his first or second album, other than the Bboy cuts. I might do that.

kicking like bruce lee

Jiberish 03-01-2019 10:36 AM

[quote=Micodin;1821777]are u a big Mr. Lif fan? i love that dude

I like Mr.Lif. I never got super into him, but no denying his talent. A bunch of my friends were really into him though, so I have certainly heard most of his work. And dug it.

A buddy of mine used to be like the home studio engineer guy for Boston Hip Hop. I roped him into doing sound design for a music video (that unfortunately has yet to actually come out). My buddy showed it to Lif and he allegedly said " That was dope!".

So that's my one Mr.Lif non-story.

Sir SkratchaLot 03-01-2019 11:55 AM

[quote=Jiberish;1821778]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1821777)
are u a big Mr. Lif fan? i love that dude

I like Mr.Lif. I never got super into him, but no denying his talent. A bunch of my friends were really into him though, so I have certainly heard most of his work. And dug it.

A buddy of mine used to be like the home studio engineer guy for Boston Hip Hop. I roped him into doing sound design for a music video (that unfortunately has yet to actually come out). My buddy showed it to Lif and he allegedly said " That was dope!".

So that's my one Mr.Lif non-story.

I like that early Brick records catalog. It can be a little nerdy with all the comic book and medical science lingo but for that time it seemed fresh. They had really strong beats and some standout MCs, Esoteric and Mr. Lif being a few. Virtuoso, Army of the Pharaohs, etc.

Lif's Madness in a Cup track on the Rebel Alliance LP was dope. He even put out a 12" on Grand Royal with a nice banjo sample.

dust monkey 03-01-2019 12:11 PM

mr. lif and the perceptionists are nice.

this cut chemist + edan + lif jam has over 200 plays on my side

dust monkey 03-01-2019 12:14 PM

and this...