Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   Sure Shots (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Family Album (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=153)

cosmo105 11-09-2009 06:48 PM

Re: The Family Album

I wasn't laughing extra hard and loud because you're my friend, Babs (although I made sure to laugh harder at your set than anyone else's) (y)

Dorothy Wood 11-09-2009 07:36 PM

cool party pix, dandy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 1708314)
one of the things that scares me about the idea of starting stand-up is the thought that you might be funny, but your very first show might be a bad one. like, even good, famous comedians have horrible shows where despite the fact that they're doing the same act that they usually do, the audience just doesn't laugh and it's really awkward and embarrassing. and it's not because they aren't funny, it's just because they're unlucky, the audience isn't going for it tonight.

so like, what if you're just starting out, and your first show is one of those? a different audience, a different time, a different place and you'd be killing, but you wouldn't know that because you've never done a show before, you can only assume that you aren't funny and nobody will ever laugh at your act

devastating

a friend of mine is trying to do stand up, she's had mixed feelings about it. once she went to an open mic and everyone was just standing around going over their acts in their minds and/or not paying attention or laughing. at the end of her set she said, "fuck you!" to the audience. ha. which, probably would make you laugh if you knew her and the way she said it...but you don't, so nevermind....

I like to think of myself as a funny person, but I could never do stand up. I'd just start stuttering. also, I don't know how to write jokes that don't involve farts or poop.

cj hood 11-09-2009 07:55 PM

joke teller....

Ty Webb 11-09-2009 09:03 PM

DandyFop 11-09-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood (Post 1708351)
c
a friend of mine is trying to do stand up, she's had mixed feelings about it. once she went to an open mic and everyone was just standing around going over their acts in their minds and/or not paying attention or laughing. at the end of her set she said, "fuck you!" to the audience. ha. which, probably would make you laugh if you knew her and the way she said it...but you don't, so nevermind....

In my experience, that's what open mics are like, for the most part. It's all other comics waiting to get up. If there's a sense of community, or if they like you, they'll pay a little more attention to you. I was really honored the other night when a comic who's been around for a while came up and said he was going to wait to see my set until he left.

Last Sunday I did a set to a mic audience that was like black hole and didn't laugh at one thing I said. Two nights ago I did most of the same jokes and killed. There's so many circumstances, many that you have no control over, that go into it. Bombing is just something everyone has to go through, and you have to chalk it up to experience.

Bob 11-09-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandyFop (Post 1708394)

Last Sunday I did a set to a mic audience that was like black hole and didn't laugh at one thing I said. Two nights ago I did most of the same jokes and killed. There's so many circumstances, many that you have no control over, that go into it. Bombing is just something everyone has to go through, and you have to chalk it up to experience.

yeah, that's the thing that gets me. i know it's part of it, but what if you're material's good, but your first show bombs regardless? you won't know if it's because you got unlucky or if it's because your jokes suck and you aren't funny. do you get up and do the same stuff again, or do you change your act?

nervewracking

DandyFop 11-10-2009 01:13 AM

The saying goes that most people bomb the first time. So yeah, you get up and do the same set again, I'd say. It's pretty impossible for any joke to hit perfectly the first time it's ever said to an audience. It's silly to me to think that one bad time on stage would ruin anybody.

lolkat 11-10-2009 02:04 AM

me and my little floor bastard.

guess were in the fam now

HEIRESS 11-10-2009 02:38 AM

Tape that shit next time Dandy!

Planetary 11-10-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 1708403)
yeah, that's the thing that gets me. i know it's part of it, but what if you're material's good, but your first show bombs regardless? you won't know if it's because you got unlucky or if it's because your jokes suck and you aren't funny. do you get up and do the same stuff again, or do you change your act?

nervewracking

Come on Bob, all this concern is causing you to make basic grammatical errors!

Bob 11-10-2009 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planetary (Post 1708462)
Come on Bob, all this concern is causing you to make basic grammatical errors!

i don't know what you mean. "that is the thing that gets me. i know it is part of it, but what if you are material is good, but your first show bomb

ok now i get it

cj hood 11-10-2009 11:08 AM

stand up:
i've been doing stand up for 5 years...all comics bomb despite their years of experience. for starters, you obviously have to have good material. i hate open mics cuz it's filled with clowns who think they're funny. real comics will get up at an open mic and do 5 minutes of new stuff they're working on....clowns will get up there and talk for a half hour (not funny). you're better off going to your local club and asking if you could do a 'guest spot.' you'll get 3-5 minutes of stage time at a real club, with real comics with a real audience (who paid to be there). the feedback you get from the latter will give you the best guage on how good/bad you did.
in 5 years i have about 30 minutes of solid material...i alway open up with topical stuff that's in the news. i've worked with rich voss, nick dipaolo and i did a spot for xm radio. stand-up is both a challenge and a thrill to do.
most shows i do have an mc (15min), feature (30min), headliner (45min). funny thing is that you could do the same material as a feature that you did as an mc and get more laughs. the later you go on during a show the more laughs you get: audience is more drunk and i feel that they think you must be more funny since you're on later in the show.

hpdrifter 11-10-2009 01:05 PM

Bob any kind of performing is the same, if you get up there fearing the audience they'll pick up on it and the exact result you're afraid of will come to pass. You get up and do your thing and let the rest of it go. There will always be some asshole in the crowd who's gonna yell show us your tits or something.

Sometimes you're going to crash and burn, you can't let it destroy you.

hpdrifter 11-10-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolkat (Post 1708440)

Wow. So not expecting that.

Pretty awesome, though. A hot blonde with a smart mouth.

rirv 11-10-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolkat (Post 1708440)

I was going to post "I thought you were an alias." Now that your post has come up in raw HTML in the above quotes in this here box I'm typing in, the source of your picture leads me to believe my first suspicions were correct.

Unless of course you stayed at the Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas and had your photo taken for their publicity.

I don't get it?

hpdrifter 11-10-2009 06:51 PM

What is texastripper.com?

I am at work now and cannot look it up.

Legitimate photo of self or no? I am not so sure...

checkyourprez 11-10-2009 06:58 PM

at the bah.

ScarySquirrel 11-10-2009 07:32 PM

I don't know who this lolkat person is... but that picture looks kinda like a slimmed down version of this chick I know.

Which is odd to think she'd be pretty attractive. Or kind of is... or... something.

Uh... I gotta go. I think I hear the hypocrisy alarm going off.

TurdBerglar 11-10-2009 07:34 PM

pahaha

ffcp 11-12-2009 03:17 PM

:p:D:cool::)

Ty Webb 11-12-2009 04:25 PM

Ty Webb 11-12-2009 04:32 PM

Ty Webb 11-12-2009 04:44 PM

Miho 11-12-2009 04:51 PM

It takes a man with real skill to drink alcohol while smoking a cigarette.

miss soul fire 11-12-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ander (Post 1708928)
It takes a man with real skill to drink alcohol while smoking a cigarette.

Kramer did it!:D(y)

Ty Webb 11-12-2009 04:57 PM

takes practice kids.

checkyourprez 11-12-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Webb (Post 1708912)

shotgunning paps. yea buddy.

Ty Webb 11-12-2009 07:24 PM

it was a special occassion

Freebasser 11-12-2009 07:33 PM

Me looking glum at the East Side Gallery (notice the snow flying across the pic - bloody freezing it was!)

checkyourprez 11-12-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Webb (Post 1708965)
it was a special occassion

when paps is involved, its always a special occasion.