Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mike D live at Riot Fest 2017 - So Watcha Want and Intergalactic (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100387)

martijn 09-17-2017 09:09 AM

Mike D live at Riot Fest 2017 - So Watcha Want and Intergalactic

Mike D performed So Watcha Want and Intergalactic live at Riot Fest 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakYeaSOarI

Kid Presentable 09-17-2017 05:18 PM

Re: Mike D live at Riot Fest 2017 - So Watcha Want and Intergalactic

I hope he keeps making music.

MIKEtotheD 09-17-2017 08:20 PM

Awesome to see, thanks for sharing this.

Bradleystp 09-17-2017 11:00 PM

This is awesome, and it makes me so happy that Mike must be doing better and feeling comfortable performing those songs again. I have to wonder if he asked Adam to join him.....

Kid Presentable 09-18-2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradleystp (Post 1819786)
This is awesome, and it makes me so happy that Mike must be doing better and feeling comfortable performing those songs again. I have to wonder if he asked Adam to join him.....

I know they wouldn't, but purely wishful thinking the two of them could just do something without structure, each doing MCA verses only over whatever beats they felt like.

For like, 5 minutes.

And it would be amazing.

Not like a big planned thing.

paulb 09-18-2017 05:47 PM

I was there with Jennyb, right on the rail. It was fun. Very relaxed, this is what I posted on facebook to my friends, Ill just copy it here.

It was a fun set. I had zero expectations on what to expect, I thought maybe he was just going to be playing random songs off his macbook and thats it. Little did I know they were taping a setlist down to the stage, and he would start the set by playing So Whatcha Want and then rapping his own parts. He did this with other Beastie Boys songs like Get It Together, Sabotage, Intergalactic, Its The New Style, he also played a couple bits and pieces of other songs like No Sleep Til Brooklyn, the drum intro of Shake your Rump. He did more of a history of hip hop type set, and spoke about music that influenced him, and played hip hop tracks from NYC, Atlanta, LA, Chicago.... stuff like Chance the Rapper, Kendrick Lamar, Big Pun, T La Rock, Outkast, Jay Z, Missy Elliot, DMX, Run DMC, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg... it was very chill, and he had a backing DJ that would play these tracks and Mike would speak over it, dance on stage, go behind the decks and lower the volume to sing himself....it was very beastie like, in the sense of, not much practice was put in, but he had fun.

He also came out earlier in the day, on the same stage, to perform his guest vocal spot with Slaves on their song Consume or be Consumed. I had just walked in to the festival and noticed 'oh isnt that the band that Mike D sings with...' and as I get closer to the stage I see Mike D is already on stage with them and they are about to start the song. I ran up and started filmed and freaking out, so its a bit of a blur. lol

Kid Presentable 09-18-2017 07:59 PM

He was up there with A-Trak.

Thanks for the post!

pesto pizza 09-19-2017 10:01 AM

Ive no idea why mike d has done this.
l find it sad
I thought they were'nt gonna perform live again ?
If he performed beastie boys songs where he was just the singer/rapper like mullet head then fair enough.

Kid Presentable 09-19-2017 06:11 PM

Yeah it is weird. I don't see this as him 'performing' as the Beastie Boys, this is just Mike D having fun with his legacy. I mean it does highlight what has been lost, but he's clearly healing and that's a beautiful thing. Just my opinion.

Laver1969 09-19-2017 07:45 PM

I knew I should have gone to this! Thanks for posting the video. And for the nice review Paul!

Looks like Mike was having fun. That's all that matters. I'm sure it felt good to be a Beastie Boy again. I wonder if he ever looked around for the other guys for a split second. Flashback.

pip07 09-19-2017 11:44 PM

I was on the rail for this. I'll post some videos soon

abbott 09-20-2017 10:46 AM

look forward to viewing again

ClarenceAlabama 09-20-2017 11:55 AM

(y) Here's some more video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBxW_FsU6ds

facedownfall 09-20-2017 03:43 PM

Haha, I came here to post my video but I see that ClarenceAlabama already did!

Noice!

Michelle*s_Farm 09-21-2017 11:25 AM

Awesome.

abbott 09-21-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesto pizza (Post 1819790)
l find it sad
If he performed beastie boys songs where he was just the singer/rapper like mullet head then fair enough.

They won't perform alive again. I wished Mike would prefer a lot more and I wish that Adam would prefer a lot more

abbott 09-21-2017 06:09 PM

Preform

tt5brevisited 09-23-2017 01:15 PM

Thanks

Brother McDuff 09-26-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesto pizza (Post 1819790)
l find it sad

i dont see any problem with this. how could one expect him to completely turn his back on his life's work as a performer? avoiding his catalog of hits would only serve as further acknowledgment of the tragedy anyhow. Yauch may have left us, but life goes on, and the remaining bboys and their work are still with us and still worth celebrating.

pesto pizza 09-26-2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1819811)
i dont see any problem with this. how could one expect him to completely turn his back on his life's work as a performer? avoiding his catalog of hits would only serve as further acknowledgment of the tragedy anyhow. Yauch may have left us, but life goes on, and the remaining bboys and their work are still with us and still worth celebrating.

Yes, l like what you wrote.Your right, im projecting my own has been demons on him.:)

3stooges 10-06-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1819811)

You are absolutely right McDuff. It is up to them to do whatever they want, whether that is doing their Beastie music or not. It would be like telling the Doors guys that are still living that they should never do a Doors song again. Sure it is different and seems kind of weird when compared to the complete group, but who else is going to play those songs as well as the guys that did them originally? They made their music and they love it. We are fans, but nobody loves the music more than the people that made it themselves. Why would they deny themselves that? That would be crazy to me.

I can still see the rest of the group getting together at some point and doing a tour to play the music. It will be different but it will still be cool for all the musicians involved as well as the fans. It might still be a while before it happens, but I can see it happening at some point. Who knows, maybe it won't happen, but I'm just saying, I won't be surprised if it does.

dust monkey 11-05-2017 11:39 AM

hard to watch. He's looking and sounding nice, but I couldn't get through it.

good for him though, just not for me