Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wheres the Book tour film/ DVD (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100650)

pesto pizza 11-22-2019 12:03 PM

Wheres the Book tour film/ DVD

I looked at spike Jonze IMDB page to see any news on the book tour DVD, l found nothing.
I would of thought it could only be so long after the event that a DVD could be released, or is this another gala event filming situation????

cj hood 11-25-2019 07:42 AM

Re: Wheres the Book tour film/ DVD

something bigger & better is on the horizon....

Micodin 11-25-2019 08:29 AM

yeah, yeah *eye roll*. if it’s not the Tougher Than Leather version of Desperado i don’t care tbh.

Sir SkratchaLot 11-25-2019 08:48 AM

I'm ready! I have to confess though, I would give it all away for the studio version of Deperado :D

dust monkey 11-25-2019 11:04 AM

the white whale...if only and why not at this point.

i hope they do something musically. the hiatus needs to be off again. not beastie boys just something anything creative with music; some raps some music some record scratches some organ keys and not some champagne jerry jokey shat but some songs like barry manilow or air supply.

3stooges 11-27-2019 03:32 AM

Jonah Hill said something about he and Spike writing some other movie with Mike and Adam. The book-show film will probably be like a documentary. The other thing might be a feature of some kind, who knows?

cj hood 11-27-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stooges (Post 1822738)
Jonah Hill said something about he and Spike writing some other movie with Mike and Adam. The book-show film will probably be like a documentary. The other thing might be a feature of some kind, who knows?

pesto pizza 11-27-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1822722)
something bigger & better is on the horizon....

Are they starting on something or finishing something?
Because if their starting on something it could be five years away

brooklyndust 11-27-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stooges (Post 1822738)

Or behind the scenes stuff, extra content or just source material to go by.

I can see them doing a Beastie Boys story movie, an autobiographical account of their early career with different actors playing them in different phases of their career, similar to Bob Dylan's I'm Not There movie mixed with the Make Some Noise Video.

Brother McDuff 11-27-2019 12:23 PM

a feature biopic of the beastie has never struck me as very marketable to the gen pop. heads like us would obviously lap it up, but i dont think their career arc offers up the drama necessary to engage casual folks for 90min+. biopics that connect typically feature artists/acts that involve varying degrees of in-fighting, hard drugs, violence, falls from grace, early death, etc.

that isn't to understate Yauch's untimely passing, of course, though it was also in the twilight of their recording career and wouldn't carry the dramatic impact of say a Brian Jones, 2pac, Kurt Cobain, etc. type figure who passed on some 20yrs younger, and at the peak of their stardom.

and frankly, they've always operated with a high degree of modesty and avoided shows of self-importance. far more the types to poke fun at an artist seeking such a self-gratifying display than to be the ones pursuing it.

if anything, perhaps a comedy biopic? it would be a different spin on the genre, and they'd certainly be the perfect subject for such.

brooklyndust 11-27-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1822742)
if anything, perhaps a comedy biopic? it would be a different spin on the genre, and they'd certainly be the perfect subject for such.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I am not really clamouring for a biopic or movie by them, but I can see them doing something along the lines of Make Some Noise meets I'm Not There covering their LTI days when they had the most colourful, larger than life characters.

Micodin 11-27-2019 01:22 PM

the only persons i’d be interested in writing/directing a Beastie biopic was Yauch with an assist from Spike. too bad Yauch can’t take part in it because his humor and knowledge of the band could of made it special.

i agree with Bro McDuff’s assessment that only our generation would prob be the market for such a movie. i don’t see the older or younger crowd giving a toss either way. it would be interesting if it did happen. we could argue and complain about the miscasting and whatnot. they should just make a HBO show telling the story of Run- DMC and the rise of Def Jam. spread their story out with multiple seasons. that would be fun.

3stooges 11-27-2019 09:52 PM

I agree that their career was largely drama free, but I think there is a story there if they look hard enough. I like the idea of them as kids running around 70s NY and meeting up and forming a band. And then the transition into rappers and their experiences in the early hip hop scene. This offers ample material for humor and social commentary.

There's this Swedish movie called We Are The Best that captures that adolescent energy you have in your little crew in your early teens, it could be along those lines. Of course this is all speculation but that is all we can really do at this point.

I recently watched that early video of them rhyming, and Kate was rhyming with them. I had never seen that before. Those early days seem like the most interesting point of reference for a film. Jonah Hill romanticized Mid-90s, so I can see how he would be into doing something similar with this.