Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   band licenses song for Biden ad (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100759)

Extra Cheese 10-18-2020 03:26 PM

band licenses song for Biden ad

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...195702444.html

it's not the first time a song of theirs is used in an ad like the article says. It's a little bit overblown this whole idea that they don't license their songs for ads because they have done it before.

but whatever I saw bboy news and posted

YoungRemy 10-18-2020 10:03 PM

Re: band licenses song for Biden ad

Agreed, overblown and manufactured PR for the campaign to claim they got the first song in an ad from Beastie Boys

Micodin 10-19-2020 05:27 AM

y’all really pressed about this huh? lol

Extra Cheese 10-19-2020 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1823838)
y’all really pressed about this huh? lol

Hasn’t just about every single thread for the past 10 years or so been fans dissecting minor things about anything. What is this Facebook or twitter now complaining about their timelines lol

Micodin 10-19-2020 05:58 AM

i guess? i just never held them to their word about the “i won't sell my songs for no TV ad“ line like some of y’all. just like i never pressed Greg Nice for telling me “Dizzy Gillespie plays a sax” when he obv didn’t. it was just a dope rhyme lol.

when i saw yesterdays news i was more impressed about the quality of the ad and filed it under “oh, that’s cool” more than anything else.

and for the record i always thought Yauch was talking about selling their music for Old Navy and Gap commercials and shit. i don’t think he realized his fans were going to hold him to that lyric for eternity.

WesleyOHSnaps! 10-19-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1823841)

and for the record i always thought Yauch was talking about selling their music for Old Navy and Gap commercials and shit. i don’t think he realized his fans were going to hold him to that lyric for eternity.

That’s how I always took that line.

YoungRemy 10-19-2020 08:53 AM

the people who are shocked, or pressed, or whatever are not the ones posting in this thread. that’s what i took out of the two lines, that they wouldn’t use their songs to hawk products. I said in another thread that it is not shocking and that specifically it is on their brand to use the song that they dedicated to George Bush to make a political statement endorsing a candidate for President. and it seems to be the song that keeps getting featured in multiple creative projects and the ads for said projects.

My point was that the Biden campaign went out of their way to create a PR release saying they were the first ones ever to get the band to release their song for an ad which simply isn’t true

Extra Cheese 10-19-2020 08:54 AM

Most odd comparison of hip hop lines ever but I meant more like the headlines and story made it seem like it was exclusive breaking news type stuff. TheY license a song for a trailer it’s made to seem huge, it’s in a show it’s made to seem huge, it’s in a movie it’s made to seem huge

As for your last line, I really don’t care but he kinda held his band mates and family to it for eternity no? You’re most likely not putting insignificant shit in your will. I never read it so maybe he wrote no license for corny things just cool things and political commercials

YoungRemy 10-19-2020 09:19 AM

I know and I agree. The specific news of the ad is generated by the campaign, they want to seem groundbreaking but they really are not. That’s why it comes off to me not with a bang but a whimper. It’s a non story.

And if it’s in his will then they probably checked with his estate and it was a no brainer along with the two active band members to make that decision.

I get it that it comes up in a google news search so people here want to talk about it. That’s how PR works

Extra Cheese 10-19-2020 09:28 AM

are you a trump supporter?

YoungRemy 10-19-2020 09:56 AM

How did you get from A to Z with that last question?

Micodin 10-19-2020 09:56 AM

damn fam, y’all taking this way more serious than i am. i was mostly playing around with my replies. if them breaking this “no ads” rule helps getting rid of this orange toxic lying racist non mask wearing piece of shit out of the White House then i’m all for it. and i think Yauch would be too.

Extra Cheese 10-19-2020 10:05 AM

Lol, Jesus Christ I honestly meant the band not using songs in ads gets overblown I had no political angle, it was neither an opinion on Yauchs line. Really it had nothing to do about Yauch, about his line, Or the band Really. I had medias reaction in mind.

I asked youngremy cuz he seemed to be giving the Biden campaign an extra hard gasface. Jesus where’s the delete button

Micodin 10-19-2020 10:08 AM

plot twist: YoungRemy is a Proud Boy lol

YoungRemy 10-19-2020 10:20 AM

Lol I literally agreed and amplified everything you said Cheese. Did I like the ad? Fuck yeah. Did I think it was corny that the campaign is patting themselves on the back afterwards? that can also be true. Instead of talking about the ad, we’re talking about the licensing of the song. Ie, The media angle.

dust monkey 10-19-2020 02:53 PM

ad is cool. good messaging. i had not even considered some of what y'all discussing when seeing the ad and/or reading about the supposed rare licensing. sabotage is the piggy bank song and why not, what like 3-4 movies (maybe more). eggman in Watchmen. whoever made the gap/old navy comment that's what i always assumed, movies and tv seem very much on the table if they like the content. didn't they reject the Arnold request for his movie sabotage.

good for biden campaign either way, i don't care what or how they deliver the message, if they can get even a few more people to vote that assclown out then do it and say it.

M|X|Y 10-19-2020 06:13 PM

why you gotta start shit here? take that bullshit somewhere else

dust monkey 10-20-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M|X|Y (Post 1823856)
why you gotta start shit here? take that bullshit somewhere else

plot twist deux: so is M|X|Y

dude i'm kidding...