Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why have'nt they released HSCPT1 yet? (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100601)

pesto pizza 05-15-2019 12:12 AM

Why have'nt they released HSCPT1 yet?

The Beasties were always gonna release a part 1 & 2 of Hot sauce committee, so why have'nt we had the other part yet?
Its not "new" recordings or did they really loose their only copy of the another part down south in that zip lock sports bag?
Or is the other part one big joke like the fake samples on HSCPT2 because if it is, its worked on me for 10 years!

tuc70021 05-15-2019 05:36 AM

Re: Why have'nt they released HSCPT1 yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesto pizza (Post 1822165)
The Beasties were always gonna release a part 1 & 2 of Hot sauce committee, so why have'nt we had the other part yet?
Its not "new" recordings or did they really loose their only copy of the another part down south in that zip lock sports bag?
Or is the other part one big joke like the fake samples on HSCPT2 because if it is, its worked on me for 10 years!

There are all sorts of competing theories on this, but they certainly didn't lose it on a hard drive somewhere because I'm pretty sure no modern recording artist saves all of their material on one drive with no backups anywhere else....

Many with an inside view of the process say that HSCP1 was just HSCP2 with a slightly different track order and some production differences, and that the naming "Part 2" just came from the fact that they had blown past a deadline for Pt. 1. Maybe they always planned to release two parts, but they really only had one album together, so being the Beastie Boys decided to release Part 2 now and then record Part 1 later. Of course that couldn't happen due to MCA's passing.

Others really believe there is a completed second album, but without MCA's input, they won't finish it. I think that whole concept it a little shaky because if the definition of a secret unreleased album is a bunch of music that the band hasn't approved for release yet, then by their own admission the Beasties have like 400 album mostly of "stoner jams" as Adrock puts it.

Others think it's just a big joke, like the secret submarine album.

My bet is that they do have some stuff that could make up a second part of the Hot Sauce series, but it's never coming out. The band has made it very clear that while they as musicians are not retired, Beastie Boys as an active band is over. They sometimes tease that there is all this unreleased work that "might" come out some day, but they then describe it as not very good and sort of move past it. I think 30+ years of amazing music is enough.

pesto pizza 05-15-2019 05:51 AM

(y)

Late-Night Lion 05-15-2019 08:04 AM

I believe it was mentioned in the Rolling Stone magazine that came out shortly after MCA's passing, but they talked about how they still recorded a lot together even while Adam was sick. At the time, I thought that might become "HSCP1". Here's that interview:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-yauch-121425/

bigfatlove06 05-15-2019 01:40 PM

One day the pre Zdar mixes will leak. Possibly the stuff originally slated for PT. 2.

tuc70021 05-15-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Late-Night Lion (Post 1822168)
I believe it was mentioned in the Rolling Stone magazine that came out shortly after MCA's passing, but they talked about how they still recorded a lot together even while Adam was sick. At the time, I thought that might become "HSCP1". Here's that interview:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-yauch-121425/

Very true. Mix Master Mike even played a little bit of a track he did with MCA on Instagram or something.

Micodin 05-16-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1822169)
One day the pre Zdar mixes will leak. Possibly the stuff originally slated for PT. 2.

yup. eventually.

pm0ney 05-16-2019 02:37 PM

I've always been of the opinion that Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 was a joke. I don't think they ever had more than one full album worth of tracks to release, and that it was no different than their "we recorded Hello Nasty in a submarine" shtick. I wouldn't get my hopes up of ever hearing an album's worth of unheard material from this era.

pesto pizza 05-16-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pm0ney (Post 1822172)
I've always been of the opinion that Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 was a joke. I don't think they ever had more than one full album worth of tracks to release, and that it was no different than their "we recorded Hello Nasty in a submarine" shtick. I wouldn't get my hopes up of ever hearing an album's worth of unheard material from this era.

After reading in the book about the fake samples joke, l started thinking the whole two part thing was a joke ,that people would always be asking about, like myself.
But also l remember them saying also that the HSC rea was a real "purple patch" of making music for them and the other HSC part had a song on it with bob dylan.

Micodin 05-16-2019 05:01 PM

the difference between part one and two is the mixing and sequencing. and a song or two. that’s it. og mix vs zdar mix.

pesto pizza 05-17-2019 12:01 AM

Why has'nt anyone asked them directly about the HSC other part and if its ever gonna released, recently on the book tours?
There has been enough interviews, just the same tired questions about how they started off as a punk band and how new york used be back in the day

Late-Night Lion 05-17-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pm0ney (Post 1822172)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822174)
the difference between part one and two is the mixing and sequencing. and a song or two. that’s it. og mix vs zdar mix.

I agree with both of you, but I do think that the HSC era did result in music that I don't think we've heard yet. Like people have said, I'm sure the OG mix will leak someday, which would have been the original HSCP1. Then if they wanted to release other stuff they worked on during that time they could call it HSCP1...but who knows. And who knows if it's really "completed" tracks. I personally don't mind, I'd love to hear anything from this time.

Sir SkratchaLot 05-17-2019 09:09 AM

I always suspected the same as Pm0ney. The whole story about it being Pt2 was crazy sounding and, based on everything (I think) I know about the band, the Pt2 thing was just an inside joke about them re-doing the album with Zdar and they ran with that joke.

I also don't know why they'd release the pre-Zdar mix. They obviously felt it was lacking.

I'd think its more likely that they release tracks they made after Hot Sauce was put out.

pesto pizza 05-17-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1822179)
I always suspected the same as Pm0ney. The whole story about it being Pt2 was crazy sounding and, based on everything (I think) I know about the band, the Pt2 thing was just an inside joke about them re-doing the album with Zdar and they ran with that joke.

I also don't know why they'd release the pre-Zdar mix. They obviously felt it was lacking.

I'd think its more likely that they release tracks they made after Hot Sauce was put out.

They said the pre - zdar mix sounded "MUDDY" after re-listening to it after time had passed

Brother McDuff 05-17-2019 03:18 PM

the original TMR and Lee Majors that came out (singles?) were pre-Zdar mixes, and they were most definitely muddy. i noticed right away, and thanked my lucky stars when they opted to bring in a pro to re-mix, as they had mixed the original themselves.

tuc70021 05-17-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1822184)
the original TMR and Lee Majors that came out (singles?) were pre-Zdar mixes, and they were most definitely muddy. i noticed right away, and thanked my lucky stars when they opted to bring in a pro to re-mix, as they had mixed the original themselves.

Try as I might, I've consistently sucked at understanding sound reinforcement. Can someone explain at a 5th grade level why a song would sound "muddy" if some person mixes it, but then nice and clean if someone else remixes it?

I totally agree that the pre-Zdar mixes sound muddy, but.... why? The band plays the music, it goes onto a tape (or onto a hard drive these days), and then they can mix it. Why can't they just follow some standard operating guide for making music not sound like it's played through a gym sock? It is just they don't have the ear for it, but when they hear it done well they're like "Oh shit, that does sound a lot better."?

pesto pizza 05-18-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1822184)

Oddly enough l couldnt tell difference between the two versions of lee majors and l definatly prefer the video mix of two many rappers, even though the downloaded version l bought off amazon at the time was shit, l always thought it was amazons fault because it was the first and last download l ever bought, lm a CD man.

brooklyndust 05-18-2019 12:02 AM

I'm in the camp that always enjoyed the pre zadar mix of TMR over the "polished" version. Even it was "muddy" I liked the original better version.

I also agree with most of you on there only being one album and them just pushing renaming HSCP1 to #2 to coincide with #2's release date.

The Dylan track and others were possibly never finished with a few other half-finished songs that were possibly going to come out later.

I also agree that 30 + years of music is just fine but I would love to hear and own the pre-zadar mix with the original track order, album cover and lyrics. We know they changed up the lyrics for TMR and Here's a little Something for ya.
That would be equally as great for me as an album of new material.

3stooges 05-18-2019 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822185)
Try as I might, I've consistently sucked at understanding sound reinforcement. Can someone explain at a 5th grade level why a song would sound "muddy" if some person mixes it, but then nice and clean if someone else remixes it?

I totally agree that the pre-Zdar mixes sound muddy, but.... why? The band plays the music, it goes onto a tape (or onto a hard drive these days), and then they can mix it. Why can't they just follow some standard operating guide for making music not sound like it's played through a gym sock? It is just they don't have the ear for it, but when they hear it done well they're like "Oh shit, that does sound a lot better."?

They are artists, not audio engineers. I think they know a lot about mixing, and they are capable of doing it themselves. But I think what happened is they mixed it, and then they were comparing it to other albums that were coming out at the time, and they felt that the mix just didn't stand up next to the mixes of these other albums. I don't know what they used for their original mixes for Hot Sauce, but they seem to always be going for a very warm, analog, 70's kind of mix sound, with the tubes and the tape and old effects units and pedals. Maybe it was just too much of that and it came out a little muddy. You need to be careful with the build up of noise/hiss/distortion as you are layering one warm, fat, funky analog track on top of the other. You can make an album sound like a Funkadelic album from 1971 if you want to. But in 2011, when you compare it to what else is coming out, it would definitely sound muddy in comparison.

There is a Sound On Sound interview with Zdar about that album, where he mentions that MCA was listening to the Cassius album (Zdar's group) and he loved how it sounded. So they brought him in to help them get the sound they wanted. Mixing is not something that is so easy to do, if you are very particular and critical about how your final mix and master should sound. It is a lot of technical work. It is a creative art form, certainly, but requires a great deal of understanding of all the gear, and carving out space for each sound with eq, and always using all this old gear they like to use. You really have to know what you are doing to keep it under control. That's why there are certain people that get a lot of work from top artists. Because there are only so many people that can really do it at that highest level.

pesto pizza 05-18-2019 06:10 AM

(y)

bigfatlove06 05-18-2019 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1822179)

I was thinking more along the lines that the album was completed and they were already doing press and sending advance copies to DJs for remixes, before it was delayed. So it wasn't like they thought the mixes were unworthy, More so they just decided to tweak things along with the album cover, track listing, title, and whatever else. Even if they never decide to release them as part of a commercial project, those advance copies are still out there somewhere, and eventually they'll surface.

bigfatlove06 05-18-2019 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1822188)

I also agree that 30 + years of music is just fine but I would love to hear and own the pre-zadar mix with the original track order, album cover and lyrics. We know they changed up the lyrics for TMR and Here's a little Something for ya.
That would be equally as great for me as an album of new material.

I agree

dave790 05-18-2019 06:20 AM

For me, there is 100% another HSC album. It was always the intention to release two different albums. I can't believe this is still being debated. They have confirmed it on numerous occasions. The only joke they played was to call the Part One - that they intended to release in 2009 - Part Two in 2011 after it had been spruced up. Again, I cannot believe people are still confused by this, although perhaps that was the intention. But seriously - THEY HAD ENOUGH SONGS FOR TWO SEPARATE ALBUMS AND INTENDED TO RELEASE TWO SEPARATE ALBUMS.

On another (but related) note, I too would still love to hear the pre-Zdar mix of Part Two (aka the originally slated Part One) in all its glory. To get a hold of that glorious cover would also be nice, although a physical release seems a ridiculously far-fetched notion. I am also under the impression that no copies were actually ever pressed. But I'd take a leak for sure if possible. Never had a problem with the original production from the tracks we heard, it seemed deliberately murky to me as opposed to incompetence. Not sure how people can just assume that Zdar improve the whole thing - the muddy sound may well have complemented the many tracks we haven't heard the original mixes of, and besides - it's all a matter of personal preference anyway.

Never liked the newer version of TMR, but not sure you can really compare it to the former in a mixing sense - it's basically a different song! I suppose the drums / most the vocals are the same. Zdar would have had to have re-mixed the original version for any true comparison though. So really, all we have to go on is B-Boy's in the Cut, Pop Your Balloon, and Here's A Little....

Anyway, I would obviously froth at the unreleased HSC material should it ever see the light of day - it was a great and creative final period for the group - but I'll gladly take the original Part One to soothe me over otherwise. I'd certainly take either of those two options over endless stoner jams from the 90s. I think they ended up on the cutting room for a reason. But most of all I'm just grateful to have such an immense back catalogue to enjoy for the rest of my life.

Micodin 05-18-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1822191)
I was thinking more along the lines that the album was completed and they were already doing press and sending advance copies to DJs for remixes, before it was delayed. So it wasn't like they thought the mixes were unworthy, More so they just decided to tweak things along with the album cover, track listing, title, and whatever else. Even if they never decide to release them as part of a commercial project, those advance copies are still out there somewhere, and eventually they'll surface.

agree completely. they’re out there.

i personally want to hear them because imo the pre-Zdar Part One mixes sound a lot closer to the CYH, IC, HN, Mario C vibes. my fav Beastie eras. The Zdar mixes are a little too slick and modern for my liking. they sound like remixes to me.

tuc70021 05-18-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stooges (Post 1822189)
They are artists, not audio engineers. I think they know a lot about mixing, and they are capable of doing it themselves. But I think what happened is they mixed it, and then they were comparing it to other albums that were coming out at the time, and they felt that the mix just didn't stand up next to the mixes of these other albums. I don't know what they used for their original mixes for Hot Sauce, but they seem to always be going for a very warm, analog, 70's kind of mix sound, with the tubes and the tape and old effects units and pedals. Maybe it was just too much of that and it came out a little muddy. You need to be careful with the build up of noise/hiss/distortion as you are layering one warm, fat, funky analog track on top of the other. You can make an album sound like a Funkadelic album from 1971 if you want to. But in 2011, when you compare it to what else is coming out, it would definitely sound muddy in comparison.

There is a Sound On Sound interview with Zdar about that album, where he mentions that MCA was listening to the Cassius album (Zdar's group) and he loved how it sounded. So they brought him in to help them get the sound they wanted. Mixing is not something that is so easy to do, if you are very particular and critical about how your final mix and master should sound. It is a lot of technical work. It is a creative art form, certainly, but requires a great deal of understanding of all the gear, and carving out space for each sound with eq, and always using all this old gear they like to use. You really have to know what you are doing to keep it under control. That's why there are certain people that get a lot of work from top artists. Because there are only so many people that can really do it at that highest level.

Thanks for the info. I guess that makes sense that they are better at making the sounds originally than manipulating them later. I forgot how instrumental Mario C was on so many of their albums (and the Dust Brothers on PB) when it came to making them sound good, and even then there were problems. I have the Pass The Mic 12" Etched UK single and even when played on a perfectly normal stereo system, the "Booty, B-Booty" sample is out of phase and disappears every other time.

bigfatlove06 05-18-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822194)
i personally want to hear them because imo the pre-Zdar Part One mixes sound a lot closer to the CYH, IC, HN, Mario C vibes. my fav Beastie eras. The Zdar mixes are a little too slick and modern for my liking. they sound like remixes to me.

That is where my head is. Which versions are better is a matter of preference like Dave790 says. My thing is that I want to hear all of it. We'd all shit ourselves if we got a studio version of Desperado. I know it is not a fair comparison in terms of different versions of songs vs unreleased songs, but the original HSCP1 to me is like a demo. It is a demo that I want to have the same way some of us take the time to compare different pressing of clean versions of Get It Together to spot differences. That's just me though. Not a matter of quality, just a matter of perspective (and love for the band).

3stooges 05-19-2019 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822195)
Thanks for the info. I guess that makes sense that they are better at making the sounds originally than manipulating them later. I forgot how instrumental Mario C was on so many of their albums (and the Dust Brothers on PB) when it came to making them sound good, and even then there were problems. I have the Pass The Mic 12" Etched UK single and even when played on a perfectly normal stereo system, the "Booty, B-Booty" sample is out of phase and disappears every other time.

Yeah I think what it came down to is that they are good at getting a certain sound, but for that record, they wanted to "update" their sound. It is of course a matter of taste as far as what is better. It would be cool as others have mentioned to hear the original mix of the album and compare it to the released version.

I love the Mario C sound, my favorite is Check Your Head. But some people might prefer a more modern, cleaner sound. It is tricky because as an artist you are always trying to find the perfect sonic blend of old and new. You don't want it to sound entirely like an old record, you want it to sound current as well. Or maybe you do like to just go all in on the old vibes type sound. It is just one of the many creative choices one makes as an artist.

One of the things you hear people say when they are mixing and mastering a record is that they want it to "compete" with the other current releases. What they are talking about is achieving a bright modern sound and a loud master that when played in a mix, on the radio for example, will fit right in with whatever else is currently being played. It's not going to sound quiet or dark and lifeless in comparison to the other bright loud songs being played before and after it. I personally don't agree with this philosophy. I feel every artist should do what they do without thinking about what others are doing. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't mean it's the right thing for me to do, or the right thing to do in general. But these are the kinds of things people are aware of as they come down to the last few steps of completing and mastering an album.

brmanuk 05-19-2019 03:14 AM

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the pre-Zdar "Here's A Little Something"? I've only heard the DJ Hero DJ Shadow mashup version.

Bradleystp 05-19-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822194)
agree completely. they’re out there.

They allowed people to hear the original. Here is a review from the time.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4...committee-pt-1

I loved that cover. I was SO disappointed with the new cover when Part 2 was released.

pesto pizza 05-19-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradleystp (Post 1822200)
They allowed people to hear the original. Here is a review from the time.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4...committee-pt-1

I loved that cover. I was SO disappointed with the new cover when Part 2 was released.

That was good.the end bit of review states this
Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 1 is set for release on September 15th 2009 (and we hear the second part should follow shortly after as it is already mostly recorded too).