Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   check your head box set LP (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100738)

dust monkey 08-03-2020 11:10 AM

check your head box set LP

hoping one of you record nerds can help. my wonderful mom picked this up for me...sealed. off discogs i assume. i of course unsealed it because it's a beautiful package and i want to play it and read every letter.

thought there would be a random 45 in it. after searching each sleeve with my flashlight i finally figured that no bueno.

was the random 45 thing just...well random. only 2000 of these exist, at least the pressing i have, did they only include 45's in a certain number of the 2000.

would have been nice to get but i'm good because this packaging is gorgeous, just wondering what the facts of the 45's are.

tuc70021 08-03-2020 08:27 PM

Re: check your head box set LP

From what I personally know...

Lee Majors Come Again 7" (with B-Boys in the Cut a capella on the b-side) was distributed with "some" copies of the CYH box set, but I have no idea how many that was. I remember at the time there was some rumor about random 7" records from their personal collection being slipped in there, but I've never actually heard of anyone receiving one.

Hopefully someone else knows more than me. Congrats on the box set either way! That whole package is dope and it's my favorite of the 3 Collectors' Editions that came out back in '09.

Bradleystp 08-03-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1823564)
That whole package is dope and it's my favorite of the 3 Collectors' Editions that came out back in '09.

My favorite too. Best art, b-sides etc. Paul's Boutique should have gotten an awesome box like the other 3. That was a big letdown.

tuc70021 08-03-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradleystp (Post 1823565)
Paul's Boutique should have gotten an awesome box like the other 3. That was a big letdown.

I'm with you, although I kind of understand why it didn't: I'm not sure there was enough extra content to put out a bonus disc that non-hardcore fans would like. The official b-sides to Paul's Boutique were 33% God, Dis Yourself in '89, Caught in the Middle of a Three Way Mix, Some Dumb Cop Gave Me Two Tickets Already, and Your Sister's Def as far as I know. I mean, I would have bought that box set, but I can see how some people would have been like "what is this shit?" to half of those tracks.

I guess they could have done what they did for Hello Nasty and released some vault stuff, but then I wonder how much of that they have from PB. It blows my mind how bands, labels, etc. just lose master tapes over time. There might be a bunch of unreleased stuff from that era, but it might be on one shitty cassette tape somewhere.

Sir SkratchaLot 08-04-2020 05:09 AM

There are threads on here about this. Some sets came with the Lee Majors 7", some came with random 7"s from the B-Boys collections, some came with nothing. There were at least a few members here who got Lee Majors or the random 7".

Jiberish 08-04-2020 10:55 AM

My box set cane with no extra 45's. I was bummed at first, but that was like 9 years ago (when did this even come out?) so I'm over it now.

Great box set and everything sounds unbelievable. The first time I played it, my upstairs neighbor came barging down the stairs (which was no easy feat. he was like 85 at the time) and shouted TURN THAT BASS DOWN

dust monkey 08-04-2020 12:05 PM

i could have scrolled down on discogs, this is interesting though...

I received a random 7" of "Ginger Ale" on 'Negram' records. I can't find anything about it by Googling...

I purchased this off the Beastie Boys website and just received it in the mail. It had the "Limited Collector's Edition Only 2000 Copies Made" sticker on the sealing and it also contained a random 7" of "Firebolt Hustle b/w Firebolt Theme" by The Firebolts!

guess these two must have received the random drops from their personal collection. damn... that is cool.

tuc70021 08-04-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust monkey (Post 1823569)

I received a random 7" of "Ginger Ale" on 'Negram' records. I can't find anything about it by Googling...
!

I googled this and it looks like the band was called Ginger Ale (a Dutch psychedelic rock group) and released a single of In The Sand/Get Off My Life Woman" in 1970. Negram pressed the Dutch release of it.