Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Egg Man Accapella (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100649)

Sir SkratchaLot 11-22-2019 11:03 AM

Egg Man Accapella

Does this even exist? I know there were a ton of officially released accapellas years ago and I somehow lost my files.

Micodin 11-22-2019 12:22 PM

Re: Egg Man Accapella

if it exists i don't have it. i searched my hard drives and nothing popped up.

bigfatlove06 11-22-2019 02:22 PM

It does not.

tuc70021 11-22-2019 03:41 PM

This doesn't really contribute in any meaningful way (great way to start a post), but with the recent upload of Paul's Boutique remixes by Beastie Boys, I wonder if they could be persuaded to publish a cappella tracks of some previously unreleased stuff (like Egg Man) for people to mess with at home.

Micodin 11-22-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822711)
This doesn't really contribute in any meaningful way (great way to start a post), but with the recent upload of Paul's Boutique remixes by Beastie Boys, I wonder if they could be persuaded to publish a cappella tracks of some previously unreleased stuff (like Egg Man) for people to mess with at home.

it’s a nice thought but they’ve promised a bunch of stuff that never came in fruition when the band was active. i doubt we’ll ever see the stuff in the vault or anything else for that matter. sorry to be pessimistic but going by their track record i’ve given up hope on hearing unreleased music or demos, much less them braking down old songs just to get stems and acapellas. it seems like a long shot.

i’m glad i snatched all those acapellas and loose tracks when they dropped them on the board. is beastiemixes not a thing anymore?

tuc70021 11-23-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822712)
i’m glad i snatched all those acapellas and loose tracks when they dropped them on the board. is beastiemixes not a thing anymore?

I thought I remembered hearing that the person who ran Beastiemixes was struggling to maintain the costs and/or hassle of the site, so it shut down. I could be wrong though.

Micodin 11-23-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822713)
I thought I remembered hearing that the person who ran Beastiemixes was struggling to maintain the costs and/or hassle of the site, so it shut down. I could be wrong though.

ah thats a shame. it was a ugly looking site but it had a bunch of gems on there.

Brother McDuff 11-23-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

it’s a nice thought but they’ve promised a bunch of stuff that never came in fruition when the band was active. i doubt we’ll ever see the stuff in the vault or anything else for that matter. sorry to be pessimistic but going by their track record i’ve given up hope on hearing unreleased music or demos, much less them braking down old songs just to get stems and acapellas. it seems like a long shot.

id be shocked if they didnt already have all the acapellas and instrumentals in tow. thats pretty basic mastering protocol, especially for a hip hop outfit. though i dont see why it would be a priority for them to make all those materials publicly available just for the sake of it.

Micodin 11-23-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1822715)
id be shocked if they didnt already have all the acapellas and instrumentals in tow. thats pretty basic mastering protocol, especially for a hip hop outfit. though i dont see why it would be a priority for them to make all those materials publicly available just for the sake of it.

yeah *shrug* i dunno. maybe for the singles they might of or for the remixes on the Criterion dvd. i don’t know about entire albums. especially for LTI and PB. i’m pretty sure Mike said he doesn’t know where some of the masters are anymore. i guess Mario could field that.

Jiberish 11-23-2019 04:21 PM

I don't feel like making a new thread just to say this. Since you mentioned Mike. It was his birthday yesterday AND Phife's. I had no idea they shared a bday. Pretty neat.

The end.

Sir SkratchaLot 11-23-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

The site is still up, but not with the accapellas. Anybody got em that can send them to me?

Micodin 11-23-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiberish (Post 1822717)
I don't feel like making a new thread just to say this. Since you mentioned Mike. It was his birthday yesterday AND Phife's. I had no idea they shared a bday. Pretty neat.

The end.

i once met Phife in the Philly airport the night after a Beasties show. Tribe had a show the same night but at another venue. he was in real bad health at the time but he was really sweet to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1822718)
The site is still up, but not with the accapellas. Anybody got em that can send them to me?

yeah, i can send them to you. hit my email.

Micodin 11-25-2019 08:30 AM

and if anyone else is looking for acapellas hit me up. i have around 40 of them.

Sir SkratchaLot 11-25-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822719)
i once met Phife in the Philly airport the night after a Beasties show. Tribe had a show the same night but at another venue. he was in real bad health at the time but he was really sweet to me.

yeah, i can send them to you. hit my email.

Just sent you a PM :eek:

Jiberish 11-25-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822719)

He seemed like a really a nice guy. Even through the boast/brag/semen jokes he was so well know for. That's cool that you got to meet him, and he was actually a good dude in real life.

bigfatlove06 11-25-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822711)

I'm of the opinion that the way PB was made doesn't even allow for isolated instrumentals, pellas, or stems. We have essentially all we are going to get from that era (not including the stuff that never made the album). I bought a cassette version of the instrumentals that was a copy of the show vinyl around 1990. If anyone has isolated stems, it's probably just $Mark or Mario.

bigfatlove06 11-25-2019 10:10 AM

This is the most recent evidence that they tried to do anything with unfinished versions. Yes, they have done remasters and spread the tracks across 2 vinyls, etc... but in terms of comparing audio from the show vinyl, the instrumentals on this cassette, and the numerous bootlegs that have followed, there is no difference. It only exists on the original reel to reels, and they only have 1 of those because it was provided by a journalist doing a story on Matt Dike.

bigfatlove06 11-25-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822713)

Silence7 went off of the radar for his own reasons. I am certain it was tough for him to maintain. I don't think it was the cost factor. When the Beasties were conquering the world and every tidbit of new info was exciting, S7 was right in the middle of everything, Beastiemania was the same way. The hassle factor is probably directly on point. I think he hosted 60+ remixers. He built the site so that remixes didn't disappear from the internet. Then he took his own time and money to provide joy to anyone who wanted beastie remixes for free. I can't get in touch with him now, but the last I heard he was very interested in micro photography with a focus on insects, and was developing a very keen interest in frying pans (no shit). Either way I miss him.

Micodin 11-25-2019 10:27 AM

all i have from the PB era is a 320 rip of the show vinyl that has all the songs broken down to 22 instrumental tracks and the Some Dumb Cop instrumental is also on there for some reason.

and i have the accapellas for Shake Your Rump, Car Thief, Looking Down the Barrel, and Stop That Train.

if anyone has anything else from this era please share. i'd love to have it...

tuc70021 11-25-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1822729)
This is the most recent evidence that they tried to do anything with unfinished versions. Yes, they have done remasters and spread the tracks across 2 vinyls, etc... but in terms of comparing audio from the show vinyl, the instrumentals on this cassette, and the numerous bootlegs that have followed, there is no difference. It only exists on the original reel to reels, and they only have 1 of those because it was provided by a journalist doing a story on Matt Dike.

I could be mistaken, but wasn't there an instrumental version of Paul's Boutique that someone found in a thrift shop or a $1 bin or something? I'm not near my home computer now, but I know I have the rips on my hard drive.

I thought the story went: someone found an old tape in a box with no label, and when they played it, it was the instrumentals to PB. I think the question was whether this was some kind of tape that they were using to practice their demos or if it was a tape someone with access to the masters made and smuggled out. Someone even mentioned that a very skilled audio technician could - if given the right format - drop most of the vocals from a completed track.

Am I crazy or was this a thing?

Sir SkratchaLot 11-25-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1822728)
I'm of the opinion that the way PB was made doesn't even allow for isolated instrumentals, pellas, or stems. We have essentially all we are going to get from that era (not including the stuff that never made the album). I bought a cassette version of the instrumentals that was a copy of the show vinyl around 1990. If anyone has isolated stems, it's probably just $Mark or Mario.

My thinking is that if they have accapellas for some of the tracks, they probably have them for the others too. This is the type of stuff I would ask Mike about if I ever met him! He'd probably be like "sigh". :rolleyes:

bigfatlove06 11-25-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822734)
I could be mistaken, but wasn't there an instrumental version of Paul's Boutique that someone found in a thrift shop or a $1 bin or something? I'm not near my home computer now, but I know I have the rips on my hard drive.

I thought the story went: someone found an old tape in a box with no label, and when they played it, it was the instrumentals to PB. I think the question was whether this was some kind of tape that they were using to practice their demos or if it was a tape someone with access to the masters made and smuggled out. Someone even mentioned that a very skilled audio technician could - if given the right format - drop most of the vocals from a completed track.

Am I crazy or was this a thing?

That was a story I heard about some of the demos from Def Jam. The PB instrumentals cassette was definitely produced by them.

tuc70021 11-25-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1822736)
That was a story I heard about some of the demos from Def Jam. The PB instrumentals cassette was definitely produced by them.

Ah ok - I just checked my mp3s and it looks like it's just a rip of that cassette. Someone posted the tracks to a file share site via Reddit some time back and I think they told that story I mentioned about how it came to be, but alas, it was just a fable...

splatter-house 12-25-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1822704)
Does this even exist? I know there were a ton of officially released accapellas years ago and I somehow lost my files.

It's not perfect, but try this for size...

Sir SkratchaLot 12-26-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatter-house (Post 1822799)
It's not perfect, but try this for size...

Dope! I think that will work for what I need!!! Thanks!

splatter-house 12-26-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1822800)
Dope! I think that will work for what I need!!! Thanks!

Glad to be of help - I'd be interesting in hearing the results :)

Sir SkratchaLot 12-26-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatter-house (Post 1822803)

Man, thanks so much. I just needed a little snippet for a mixtape I'm working on. I'll post it up when I'm done (should be really soon). It's a mix made for my 6-year-old son. Kids records over hip hop beats.

Here's a little sample.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6gfGeLA...d=pm2bcxylrea8

Sir SkratchaLot 04-07-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatter-house (Post 1822803)

Figured I'd chime back in here because I finished the mix.

The Egg Man Accapella was a really minor piece but it fit so good I had to have it!

Here's a link to the mix
https://jamburglar.bandcamp.com/releases

The place I used the Egg Man sample was in the third track "Mr. Mxyzptlk and the Missing Vowels", around the 2:20 minute point.

Mixtapes like this are intended to be listened to in a continuous mix because everything is blended together but if you just want to hear how I put that particular sample to use that's how you find it.

Also, here's promo video I did of the intro for the mix if anybody is interested.

https://youtu.be/_FU04NpRsDM

Thanks again for the file!!