Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Adam Yauch - 1964-2012 (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=97909)

cj hood 05-06-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
i feel like the SNL after 9/11 when Lorne Michaels asks Gulianni if its ok to 'be funny again'.......like....will things here ever be the same?

laurie_hammy 05-06-2012 11:30 AM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzaXe-Yp_GM

Pretty awsome. The guy doing Sabotage was amazing.

benchillin 05-06-2012 11:30 AM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadrach (Post 1784857)
It's been two days and it still doesn't seem real. I had posted this somewhere else, but now that I can, I have to repost it in the place it belongs (I'm still just as teared up as the first time)

(y)I will never forget Lollapalooza 1994 in Philadelphia, when Yauch brough out Tibetan Monks from the Yellow Hat Sect to begin the day with some beautiful chanting. I was 17 years old. I can remember his face (I will never, ever forget) as some ignorant and disrespectful fans threw water bottles at the monks. I always wanted to write a letter of apology to Yauch, on behalf of Philadelphia, and to also thank him for introducing me to the struggles of Tibet, with eventually led to my interest in Buddhism and the Dharma. I can honestly say that in addition to being the soundtrack of my life, starting at 8, to the Beastie Boys, espeically Adam Yauch, I owe a debt that can never be repaid. May Adam find a most positive rebirth, and even though we never met, I thank him from the bottom of my heart for the beautiful path he helped set me upon, just by being a postitive influence and role model. I promise that I will continue to use "Bodhisattva Vow" as my mantra. And to the Beastie Boys, you always were and always will be more than a band to me, you are a way of life.

thanks for refreshing a great memory , yea i saw him before at Lollapalooza 1994 also with the monks. (but in Houston)

Howie C 05-06-2012 11:37 AM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
I felt so sick when I heard the news about Adam. The Beasties are, and always will be a massive part of my life.
So pleased I got to see them 4 times live, wish it had been more.
The only thing that makes this easier right now is that I just got my new-born son home after 7 weeks in hospital, otherwise I'm pretty sure there would be tears flowing.
Peace and much love to the Beasties family.

Shuryno 05-06-2012 11:53 AM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
What a F*?$ up week-end!

My condolence to the family and Friends of Adam Yauch! As a fan since I was 12 years old, in 1987 , I feel sadden and no words can really express it. This is the first time in my life I actually feel like crying for an artist death.

I hope Adam had a chance to have some sense of closure with his family. We will never forget you and your memory will live on your chef d'oeuvres.We will keep your memory alive.


...One day , we shall all be one

R.I.P!

beasties#1fan 05-06-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LucieT (Post 1784805)
the band members seem to feel not that bad
Adrock recent tweet:

Uncle Garbagefeet ‏ @garbagefeet Who's the fastest snack club tweeter? ME !!!!

whoa whoa whoa whoa whooooooooa.....hold up....this is concerning to me..

a.k.a me 05-06-2012 01:10 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
</3 I'm in denial. MCA was one of the very, very few people I looked up to along with Mike and Adam; they were(and still are) a HUGE influence in my life.

I still remember when I first got into the beasties and how exciting it was to listen and discover new things about them; I would listen to their albums, read the booklets and watch their videos/documentaries/interviews over and over again, every day. every.single.day. I must have done this for nearly two years straight, heh... they were even my first internet search.(y)

Adam was not only a talented musician but also an incredible human being; I learned so much about the situation in Tibet thanks to him and I really, really admire and love him for what he did to help the cause. He will always be an inspiration and a role model for me.

(I've been a fan for)nearly fourteen years. so many good times, so many memories. Thank you, Beastie Boys. Thank you Adam.<3

Randetica 05-06-2012 01:33 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a.k.a me (Post 1784932)
</3 I'm in denial. MCA was one of the very, very few people I looked up to along with Mike and Adam; they were(and still are) a HUGE influence in my life.

I still remember when I first got into the beasties and how exciting it was to listen and discover new things about them; I would listen to their albums, read the booklets and watch their videos/documentaries/interviews over and over again, every day. every.single.day. I must have done this for nearly two years straight, heh... they were even my first internet search.(y)

Adam was not only a talented musician but also an incredible human being; I learned so much about the situation in Tibet thanks to him and I really, really admire and love him for what he did to help the cause. He will always be an inspiration and a role model for me.

(I've been a fan for)nearly fourteen years. so many good times, so many memories. Thank you, Beastie Boys. Thank you Adam.<3

same, same and same
the only reason for me to go online been the beasties then, i was so excited finding a picture i havent seen yet or finding an interview i havent read yet
and before i had internet i used to buy shit expensive music books only cause it had 1 beastie picture inside etc.
with my sister i watched all the recorded beastie stuff over and over again aswell (though my sister lost her interest in them years ago)
i was a real fanatic, now i still love them but in a more mature/relaxed way lol
been 14 years for me too

ill always have enough room in my heart for beastie love

spacemac9000 05-06-2012 01:35 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
How beautiful is this though ?

- Yauch’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction letter from April read:

I’d like to dedicate this award to my brothers, Adam and Mike, who’ve walked the globe with me.

To anyone who’s been touched by our band, who our music has meant something to, this induction is as much ours as it is yours. To Kate Schellenbach. To John Berry. To John Berry’s loft on 100th St. in Brooklyn where John’s dad would come busting in during our first practices screaming, “Would you turn that f***ing s*** off already!”…

To my loving and supportive parents, Noel and Frances Yauch, and to our home in Brooklyn where we used to practice on hot Brooklyn days after school, windows wide open to disturb the neighborhood…

But most of all I’d like to thank and dedicate this honor to my smart, beautiful and loving wife Dechen and our sweet, talented, loving daughter Tenzin. Never has a man felt more blessed than I to be able to spend my time with my two soulmates. I love you guys more than you know.

I wish I could name everyone who deserves to be named, but of course there’s too many names to name. You know who you are, and I sent my love out to all of you.

Your friend, Adam Yauch.

silence7 05-06-2012 02:05 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Pelosi Statement on the Passing of Adam Yauch
http://dccc.org/blog/entry/pelosi_st...of_adam_yauch/

Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi issued the following statement on the passing of Adam Yauch, 47, a founding member of the Beastie Boys and an advocate for the people of Tibet:

Quote:

"As an artist, Adam Yauch changed the course of music; as a humanitarian, he changed lives. He was a creative genius who used his powerful platform and celebrity to address the cause of human rights for the people of Tibet. Adam Yauch was devotee of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and an agent of change.

"Adam Yauch's concerts raised awareness on campuses across the country; what a beautiful sight it was in 1996, when he drew 100,000 people to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco for a concert to benefit the cause of freedom in Tibet. His knowledge of issues and his activism were deeply rooted in his values.

"I hope it is a comfort to the many who loved and admired Adam, especially his wife Dechen and his daughter Tenzin, that so many grieve their loss and are praying for them at this sad time."

Documad 05-06-2012 02:20 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemac9000 (Post 1784938)
How beautiful is this though ?

- Yauch’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction letter from April read:

I’d like to dedicate this award to my brothers, Adam and Mike, who’ve walked the globe with me.

To anyone who’s been touched by our band, who our music has meant something to, this induction is as much ours as it is yours. To Kate Schellenbach. To John Berry. To John Berry’s loft on 100th St. in Brooklyn where John’s dad would come busting in during our first practices screaming, “Would you turn that f***ing s*** off already!”…

To my loving and supportive parents, Noel and Frances Yauch, and to our home in Brooklyn where we used to practice on hot Brooklyn days after school, windows wide open to disturb the neighborhood…

But most of all I’d like to thank and dedicate this honor to my smart, beautiful and loving wife Dechen and our sweet, talented, loving daughter Tenzin. Never has a man felt more blessed than I to be able to spend my time with my two soulmates. I love you guys more than you know.

I wish I could name everyone who deserves to be named, but of course there’s too many names to name. You know who you are, and I sent my love out to all of you.

Your friend, Adam Yauch.

It was actually longer than that. HBO edited all three of the Beasties' speeches, if I remember right. But the beginning and end of Yauch's note stayed in the broadcast, and they are the most important parts.

M|X|Y 05-06-2012 02:22 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
can we see the whole thing anywhere? boo

Documad 05-06-2012 02:31 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
I think there were links in the hall of fame thread from a couple weeks ago, but I don't know how complete they were and what the quality was.

(I was at the show and I just remember a lot more people being named in everyone's thank yous.)

Guy Incognito 05-06-2012 02:37 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
i just listened to bboys in the cut and a chill went down my spine when mca spits out the chorus. This is hard to deal with.
Its touching to see the wide range of people making tributes and to see how many people he touched and all the yauch stories show him out to be a top class human being.
I watch FFYRR before thinking it was his last big creative thing he did and the whole thing was about looking to the future. Just feel he had a lot more to give and its sad we arent going to get that.

spacemac9000 05-06-2012 02:37 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Documad (Post 1784953)
It was actually longer than that. HBO edited all three of the Beasties' speeches, if I remember right. But the beginning and end of Yauch's note stayed in the broadcast, and they are the most important parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M|X|Y (Post 1784954)
can we see the whole thing anywhere? boo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Documad (Post 1784959)
I think there were links in the hall of fame thread from a couple weeks ago, but I don't know how complete they were and what the quality was.

(I was at the show and I just remember a lot more people being named in everyone's thank yous.)

yes very sweet and sentimental words. sure it's worth searching for completed version.

MCAadROCKMiKEd7 05-06-2012 03:04 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beasties#1fan (Post 1784930)
whoa whoa whoa whoa whooooooooa.....hold up....this is concerning to me..

Yeah what the fuck? What LucieT said I mean. Of course they feel bad how can someone even try and say otherwise? That really bothered me.


If anyone knows where to see the video pls let me know, I haven't even seen all 3 of their speeches yet. If I find it anywhere ill post.

beasties#1fan 05-06-2012 03:08 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCAadROCKMiKEd7 (Post 1784973)
Yeah what the fuck? What LucieT said I mean. Of course they feel bad how can someone even try and say otherwise? That really bothered me.

I'm literally lost for words...about the whole situation

MCAadROCKMiKEd7 05-06-2012 03:17 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beasties#1fan (Post 1784975)
I'm literally lost for words...about the whole situation

I just keep seein it everywhere. It was on the news, MTV, Jimmy Fallon, SNL, AOL homepage, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr.

fusedpluguk 05-06-2012 03:24 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Thankyou Adam and the rest of the Beastie Boys for your music many a VW badge went missing and ended up hooked around our necks in 1987 here in the UK. I still have my Licenced To Ill album on vinyl from back in the day :)

Jay Stone 05-06-2012 04:02 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Missed the beginning of the Knicks game. Anyone know if they did anything at theGarden for MCA?

JoLovesMCA 05-06-2012 04:06 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
I just got home. My family took me and my best friend to some local theater show and out to eat... It had been planned for weeks but I found myself drifting off about this whole thing and felt utterly sick the entire time. At one point my aunt said hey that guy you like died and she started to go on about it and I literally freaked out everybody and told them not to say anything about it to me. I was then crying and I think my aunt just didn't know how important Adam was to me. I mean she looked at it as another celebrity death and usually you say oh that's sad and move on.... But this whole thing with Adam has made my physically sick to my stomach. I hope I can pull through my work week because I have clients to deal with. I left work abruptly on Friday and now have to face my manager coming to me on Monday asking about it all. Ugh. It's all so much harder than I anticipated. For weeks I have felt this would happen but you still aren't prepared with how you'll be affected. :(

Freebasser 05-06-2012 04:39 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Here's a link to all the posts Yauch made on the boards. Thought you guys might like to see.

Nice to be able to read through them and remember what a down-to-earth guy he truly was :')

Documad 05-06-2012 05:00 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freebasser (Post 1785003)
Here's a link to all the posts Yauch made on the boards. Thought you guys might like to see.

Nice to be able to read through them and remember what a down-to-earth guy he truly was :')

The link doesn't work for me, but people can search via the members list to find them.

My favorite was when he posted to deny doing yoga. :D

I was pretty internet impaired when I started posting here so you will all remember that I did a lot of stupid shit. I never admitted this one before: When Knuckles made the BBMB trading cards, I thought they were cool and I pm'd Yauch the link saying something like it was amusing a lot of people here and it would be cool if he checked it out. Shortly after my PM he posted in that thread and tried to make it a sticky or something. (I was never 100% sure it was really him posting, though it always seemed like it had to be, right?)

Headgotchecked 05-06-2012 05:02 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LucieT (Post 1784805)
the band members seem to feel not that bad
Adrock recent tweet:

Uncle Garbagefeet ‏ @garbagefeet Who's the fastest snack club tweeter? ME !!!!

People grieve in different ways. Some fall apart right out of the gates and are mostly patched up after a few weeks, others keep a stone facade until they see their loved one's favorite brand of coffee on the shelves at a grocery store 3 years later, and then have a total meltdown. I wouldn't put too much thought into it man.

Jmoney77 05-06-2012 05:05 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Hey guys it is with great sadness that im back on the Boards. This has been a tough loss for all of us here. I look at this thread and i see the same old people, that have been here for along time. We are all in this together and i send out prayers to MCA and his family.

manwich 05-06-2012 05:56 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Quick word (from adrock?) on the blog just now, first I've heard from the band. F'd up is what he said, I can't imagine it for him and mike. I broke down pretty hard and can't even begin to think how tough this must be for them (and the Yauch family) :(

silence7 05-06-2012 05:58 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
http://blog.beastieboys.com/post/225...d-up-right-now

https://twitter.com/#!/beastieboys/s...82663364890624

M|X|Y 05-06-2012 06:15 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Friday was surreal... things really hit me the day after he passed. I woke up the next morning with a lump in my throat that stayed with me all day.

I spent the day watching all sorts of Bboy videos starting with AWESOME I SHOT THAT.

I burst into tears as they hit the stage. That familiar intro from Mix Master Mike and the excitement at the start of the show - it broke my heart to think of all those times... how for all of us that moment when they took the stage was so special... The sort of irrational joy I got from the experience of being fully immersed in that world, if only temporarily, that was made up of so many parts of our being... and the music. It was almost like a religious experience. How it will never fully be again...

It moved me to think of the work and love that went into making that film and how I think for the fellas, it really was a love letter for the fans. And how in part that film was made for us to experience today and beyond - when we could no longer go back. It's there for us forever and perfectly encapsulates that period of time.

I watched the Beastieography again and was once again reminded of their constant evolution and by extension that of so many of their fans - including myself. My gf was considerate enough to let me just go on and on - so many feeling held inside about in part the music, but really everything else that came with keeping this band close to heart for all these years.

As so many have said, it feels like a part of me has changed. I don't mean to make this sound like I think its about me, but I really do think that this is so difficult because each of us feels that personal connection that can't just come with the music. As corny as it may sound, its the way of life we've developed as influenced by these wonderful guys.

I really take the philosophy of the group to heart. This is how I choose to honor Yauch and the band. When people talk about inspiration from art and role models, its kind of hard to understand till it's personal.

Please bear with me on this... I do strive to live by the way we have seen them live at their best:

Being tolerant, understanding and down to earth. Maintaining a hunger for learning and an open mindedness towards all kinds of art, seeing value in many points of view and trying to take in the bits and pieces of diversity that speak to me from all the sources we come across in life. Never being satisfied with mediocrity - one can never really arrive in life. Life is for living and living is growth.

I think that to honor Yauch is more than just listening to the songs. To truly love the man is to appreciate everything connected to the music. And just how he did, to take some of the parts that speak to you and really make them a part of you.

I know that this might sound stilted, but this is really how I feel. To mourn Yauch is to mourn a piece of ourselves. Affecting people at such a deep level... he did it right. That may be part of what they meant saying "we shall all be one".

manwich 05-06-2012 06:15 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
Thanks for the links silence7. My phone wouldn't let me copy the address properly.

Laver1969 05-06-2012 06:25 PM

Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012
 
So sad. Thanks S7. And thanks for sharing your feelings Adrock!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2012 Beastie Boys