Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lots of rare items for sale (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100570)

bigfatlove06 03-04-2019 12:51 PM

Lots of rare items for sale

I have lots of rare items for sale. They are all the duplicate copies I've ended up with after combining my collection with those from astrobboy, beastienut, and ProfD (RIP). Originally I was looking to pass all the duplicates on to one collector who would like to have them, but there just aren't any people that want 50 copies of Licensed To Ill. I've finally gotten to the place where every scrap of info that needs to be archived has been (4 years worth of archiving).

I'm not gonna spam the boards with auction links, or try to keep a thread going where anyone interested can keep the conversation about collecting in the limelight. It's not a bitch move to make some $$$. Its me wanting (in equal parts) to recoup what I spent to put it all together, get my living room back, and channel all of the extra stuff I've accumulated to the people I know will appreciate it most.

I'm very purposefully NOT trying to hawk my shit on this board so if you want to get to me here is the info...

On ebay I'm bigfatlove. You can get me through there for items I have listed already. For want lists, send them to my personal email.

That is all.

brooklyndust 03-04-2019 01:47 PM

Re: Lots of rare items for sale

Thanks man!

dust monkey 03-04-2019 03:49 PM

BFL

link to email goes to yahoo homepage, can you repost

Sir SkratchaLot 03-04-2019 07:13 PM

Cool shit!

bigfatlove06 03-06-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust monkey (Post 1821818)
BFL

link to email goes to yahoo homepage, can you repost

Bigfatlove06@yahoo.com

bigdan2276 03-14-2019 11:34 AM

In case any of you Beastie collectors are wondering if Bigfatlove is the type of person you can trust when making deals, I can positively say YES HE IS! Over the years we've made many transactions, most of which was me filling in holes on my B-Boys want list. Good dude, Beastie expert, description of items are always spot on, doesn't over charge for rare items, and easy to deal with PERIOD.

bigfatlove06 03-14-2019 10:21 PM

Thanks Big Dan!

dust monkey 03-15-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdan2276 (Post 1821906)
In case any of you Beastie collectors are wondering if Bigfatlove is the type of person you can trust when making deals, I can positively say YES HE IS! Over the years we've made many transactions, most of which was me filling in holes on my B-Boys want list. Good dude, Beastie expert, description of items are always spot on, doesn't over charge for rare items, and easy to deal with PERIOD.

ditto

brooklyndust 03-28-2019 01:38 AM

Big Fat Love I emailed you this but for anyone who may have some deals, I am currently looking for these parts of my collection.

Big Ticket Rare Items:
Country Mike Red Vinyl
Polly Wog Stew 45

Only thing is I don't know if I can justify paying market prices for those two right now.

Something a bit more economical is acquiring the 12" UK picture cover pressings of
Triple Trouble and Open Letter to NYC

Or

The 12" Australian picture cover of Fight For Your Right To Party

I can get those of discogs or ebay but the shipping is killer, so if any of my North American friends are looking to get unload those, let me know.

Also looking for the Paul's Boutique 45's: Shake Your Rump / Hey Ladies, Shadrach / And What You Give is What you Get

bigfatlove06 03-28-2019 12:59 PM

I have everything except the PWS and Country Mike Red. Pootytang got the Country Mike, but I think it was a gift for someone. tuc70021 got the PWS 7". Maybe they'll make a deal on those.

tuc70021 03-28-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1821987)
I have everything except the PWS and Country Mike Red. Pootytang got the Country Mike, but I think it was a gift for someone. tuc70021 got the PWS 7". Maybe they'll make a deal on those.

I actually got both from you! But maybe you had more than 1 extra copy as well. Either way, they are definitely prizes in my collection now.

I'm not looking to trade either right now, but I'd suggest just keeping an eye on Discogs. A buddy of mine sent me on a quest to track down a copy of the black Country Mike album and sure enough one popped up and I got it for a decent price. They do occasionally come and go.

Bigfatlove - definitely looking forward to the day when your Paul's Boutiques hit Ebay. That's gonna be NUTS. For anyone who's been sleeping on it, the Ebay Licensed to Ill scene has been 100% stacked recently thanks to this guy!

bigfatlove06 03-29-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1821988)
Bigfatlove - definitely looking forward to the day when your Paul's Boutiques hit Ebay. That's gonna be NUTS. For anyone who's been sleeping on it, the Ebay Licensed to Ill scene has been 100% stacked recently thanks to this guy!

The Licensed. To Ill LP's are all listed. As soon as the 7" & 12" are done I'll start on Paul's Boutique.

bigfatlove06 04-08-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1821988)

I started listing Paul's Boutique stuff. This is the one people seem to be the most interested in.

brooklyndust 04-08-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1822020)
I started listing Paul's Boutique stuff. This is the one people seem to be the most interested in.

Wow!

I something I never even knew that existed. Are there any digital recordings of the instrumentals floating around online somewhere?

Are those all the colour variations of the cassettes?

bigfatlove06 04-08-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1822021)
Are there any digital recordings of the instrumentals floating around online somewhere?

Are those all the colour variations of the cassettes?

I haven't looked into whether or not there are rips of the cassette version online, but I know the Show Vinyl versions are out there as 320kbps MP3's. Sadly, I still can't find this one, but other than that one it's everything that I've been able to find.

Sir SkratchaLot 04-08-2019 03:20 PM

Whoah, heavy hitting in here!!!

tuc70021 04-09-2019 08:36 PM

The Paul's Boutique era has hit Ebay....... God help us all.

But for real, everything rare about this time period is made extra rare by the fact that Capitol kind of took a big dump over the entire project and didn't promote it. I'm sure when they decided to press a bunch of multi-colored cassette tapes back in 89 they never would have thought that they'd sell for THOUSANDS of dollars thirty years later.

I always thought it was curious that no vinyl test pressings from the original 1989 release have emerged, at least as far as I know. I mean even Country Mike has a test pressing out there....

bigfatlove06 04-10-2019 09:45 AM

^^ That's a good point that I never really thought about. On top of that, the only 2 confirmed Licensed To Ill test pressings are from Argentina and the Philippines. There is this though.

http://www.beastiemania.com/discog/show.php?r=ltireelyu

bigfatlove06 04-10-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822032)
I'm sure when they decided to press a bunch of multi-colored cassette tapes back in 89 they never would have thought that they'd sell for THOUSANDS of dollars thirty years later.

They haven't sold yet 😂

tuc70021 04-10-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1822038)
They haven't sold yet 😂

In due time... I'm seeing hipsters in the city pay $20 for freaking mix-tapes these days. I never would have thought that cassettes would make a come-back, but they are. I think cassettes might be where vinyl was in the late 90s/early 2000s (i.e. just starting to make a popular come-back). So I wouldn't doubt if the PB cassette lot sells for a pretty penny.

As to the LTI master reel-to-reels - I don't really understand what role they served. I mean, I don't doubt that they are authentic, but just based on what I know about recording, I'm curious why foreign markets had their own master reels. Why didn't Def Jam just send plates over to Yugoslavia so press records? Maybe it was cheaper this way? I guess Def Jam was still tiny back then and probably couldn't afford to mail heavy plates to an Eastern European country, so maybe tapes just made more sense. I would be super nervous about a country like Yugoslavia (no offense to my Cold War comrades) fucking up the plate manufacturing, but again, maybe it just made business sense.

Micodin 04-11-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822040)
In due time... I'm seeing hipsters in the city pay $20 for freaking mix-tapes these days. I never would have thought that cassettes would make a come-back, but they are. I think cassettes might be where vinyl was in the late 90s/early 2000s (i.e. just starting to make a popular come-back). So I wouldn't doubt if the PB cassette lot sells for a pretty penny.

i put out a project last year (Get Correct still available) and the only physicals that were made were cassettes and it sold surprisingly well. in fact i'm doing it again but bigger on the project i'm currently working on. i wish i still had my yellow waterproof Sony Walkman to bump it in.

i wish i still had my old tapes. the only ones i can located is s/t Run DMC and Paul's Boutique.

cj hood 04-11-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822032)
The Paul's Boutique era has hit Ebay....... God help us all.

But for real, everything rare about this time period is made extra rare by the fact that Capitol kind of took a big dump over the entire project and didn't promote it. I'm sure when they decided to press a bunch of multi-colored cassette tapes back in 89 they never would have thought that they'd sell for THOUSANDS of dollars thirty years later.

I always thought it was curious that no vinyl test pressings from the original 1989 release have emerged, at least as far as I know. I mean even Country Mike has a test pressing out there....

a promo booklet was done with the whole itinerary of the album from marketing plan to important dates...looks like the cd booklet....won't find that on ebay.

brooklyndust 04-11-2019 01:07 PM

Just want to give a shout out to Bif Fat Love.

Finished up my TT5B singles collection thanks to him. Great communication, fast shipping, fair prices, the records are in pristine condition. If you get a chance to deal with him then just do it!

Nothing sounds quite like the Triple Trouble j. wizzle remix or instrumental on 12" wax. Same goes for Open Letter To NYC

brooklyndust 04-11-2019 01:26 PM

btw, the Open Letter To NYC 12" plays at 33 1/3 on side A but 45 on side B.

Didn't know this while spinning and started listening to a Low Tempo version of the Open Letter To NYC instrumental. Sounds like a completely different song. Really cool.

bigfatlove06 04-11-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1822043)
i put out a project last year (Get Correct still available) and the only physicals that were made were cassettes and it sold surprisingly well. in fact i'm doing it again but bigger on the project i'm currently working on. i wish i still had my yellow waterproof Sony Walkman to bump it in.

i wish i still had my old tapes. the only ones i can located is s/t Run DMC and Paul's Boutique.

There is a dude on facebook who took rips from the Paul's Boutique Show Vinyl, cleaned them up, had somebody do some cool artwork for them, and then produced 20 cassettes (all unique and professionally manufactured), then gave away copies refusing to accept payment. Old School Gratitude, and love for the Beastie Boys.

bigfatlove06 04-11-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1822044)
a promo booklet was done with the whole itinerary of the album from marketing plan to important dates...looks like the cd booklet....won't find that on ebay.

If you have one, 9th Beastie & Astrobboy have been looking for anything that confirms the handful of shows that were scheduled. Does it have that kind of stuff or is it one of those album and singles release date kind of things?

bigfatlove06 04-11-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1822040)
As to the LTI master reel-to-reels - I don't really understand what role they served. I mean, I don't doubt that they are authentic, but just based on what I know about recording, I'm curious why foreign markets had their own master reels. Why didn't Def Jam just send plates over to Yugoslavia so press records? Maybe it was cheaper this way? I guess Def Jam was still tiny back then and probably couldn't afford to mail heavy plates to an Eastern European country, so maybe tapes just made more sense. I would be super nervous about a country like Yugoslavia (no offense to my Cold War comrades) fucking up the plate manufacturing, but again, maybe it just made business sense.

As it was explained to me by somebody who knows far more about it than I do... That was just standard practice at the time. If you create plate for whatever manufacturing company presses the vinyl in your region then you can either send that plate to one of many markets (then the run out grooves and such would be the same), create new plates and send those to multiple markets (which doesn't make sense because the have the ability to do it on their own), or send them master reels and let them manufacture the plates. It made sense to me. When the album was released I was 15 or 16, and it's the only master reel I have ever seen. So like the auction says, "I won't to pretend to be an expert on Master Reels. I'll just tell you what I know about this one."

And it is sitting on my kitchen table.

And if you want it to be sitting on your kitchen table you can do that for $400.

tuc70021 04-11-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1822044)

Can we get a side-by-side comparison with the Donny Osmond marketing plan?

tuc70021 04-11-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 (Post 1822052)
As it was explained to me by somebody who knows far more about it than I do... That was just standard practice at the time. If you create plate for whatever manufacturing company presses the vinyl in your region then you can either send that plate to one of many markets (then the run out grooves and such would be the same), create new plates and send those to multiple markets (which doesn't make sense because the have the ability to do it on their own), or send them master reels and let them manufacture the plates. It made sense to me. When the album was released I was 15 or 16, and it's the only master reel I have ever seen. So like the auction says, "I won't to pretend to be an expert on Master Reels. I'll just tell you what I know about this one."

And it is sitting on my kitchen table.

And if you want it to be sitting on your kitchen table you can do that for $400.

That does make sense. I used to own a reel-to-reel but alas, I didn't feel like lugging a trillion pound piece of archaic equipment around with me any more.

I do wonder how your reels sound after all these years. I think the quality of the tape mattered a lot. I know guys who have reggae reels from the 70s and they still play (not superbly, but it's fine), meanwhile I know musicians who've pulled their old reels out of their closets and they were basically dust. Then again, they probably bought shitty tape from some drug store to record their garage band while professional producers would buy actual good quality stuff.

bigfatlove06 04-11-2019 08:04 PM

It's all very fascinating. In the world of master reel collecting, the price may be arbitrarily high or low. I don't know. I valued it about the same thing ProfD paid for it when he grabbed itit.