Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   new book push Strombo (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100470)

dust monkey 09-16-2018 12:44 PM

new book push Strombo

i think the full interview airs tonight

one

two

brooklyndust 09-16-2018 03:55 PM

Re: new book push Strombo

Nice!

brooklyndust 09-16-2018 06:04 PM

you can listen live here: https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live/cbcmusic/eastern

Micodin 09-17-2018 08:21 AM

i just watched it and could watch another 5+ hours. more please.

Extra Cheese 09-17-2018 11:52 AM

i don't believe tip had the hesitancy that they think he had. obviously i know none of the parties involved but tribe shouted them out on the first album liner notes, they were on the midnight marauders album cover so the cat was out of the bag that they were friends or at least friendly with each other. so why would he have any reservations about hopping on a track.

Laver1969 09-17-2018 11:56 AM

I love this interview. I hope there’s more interviews and publicity to come.

b-grrrlie 09-17-2018 12:02 PM

(y):)(y)

YoungRemy 09-17-2018 02:03 PM

Full interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwX9xmLkG64

The interviewer seemed to go out of his way to specify “not final cover art”, I thought that was interesting. Listening now.

Bradleystp 09-17-2018 04:03 PM

Great interview! Can't wait for more!

WesleyOHSnaps! 09-17-2018 08:15 PM

Man that was so great.

abbott 09-18-2018 06:25 AM

i am 8 minutes in.

:)

might have to finish it tonight.

Brother McDuff 09-18-2018 12:27 PM

A coupla minutes in and wow, this is the most earnest beastie interview I can recall. Excited to see this play out.

dave790 09-18-2018 03:18 PM

So good to see Mike and Adam. I was thrilled to see it was an hour long. Very funny in places - Adam’s recent embrace with Hammer was excellent!

Love the boys, love Yauch. Very excited for the book.

brooklyndust 09-18-2018 03:37 PM

Great interview by George Stroumboulopoulos!

Wouldn't expect anything less. He is a huge Beastie Boys fan. From when he did the 2004 MVA intro on top of a tall ship (can't find any footage) to throwing opening pitch at the Jays game in 2014: https://www.gettyimages.ca/event/sea...re-id455992936

It was years since MCA passed and Strombo could have worn anything for the opening pitch but he went with RIP MCA.

I had the good luck of running into him a few years ago and asked him about the jersey that he wore and he said the Blue Jays and MLB almost didn't let him do it, they wanted something more baseball.

Rodie 09-18-2018 06:22 PM

This was awesome, I really hope they do more press for the book. The bit about Adam emailing Mike diss tracks about him had me cracking up!

M|X|Y 09-18-2018 09:01 PM

(y)(y) looking forward to reading the book. so great to hear from them.

Wish the old bboys radio show came back somehow..

Micodin 09-19-2018 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M|X|Y (Post 1820683)
(y)(y) looking forward to reading the book. so great to hear from them.

Wish the old bboys radio show came back somehow..

i prefer mike’s echo chamber show on apple tbh.

3stooges 09-19-2018 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1820679)
A coupla minutes in and wow, this is the most earnest beastie interview I can recall. Excited to see this play out.

For me they started out a little nervous and stiff, a little guarded trying to force humor and whatnot. But once they relaxed it opened up to a very honest and genuine conversation. It kinda felt like they had really hit a groove, and then it was over. They probably could have done another hour easy. Looking forward to more of these.

M|X|Y 09-19-2018 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1820684)
i prefer mike’s echo chamber show on apple tbh.

never listened to the show because its only on apple but..

you'd prefer one bboy to two? that old radio show was the shit

Micodin 09-19-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M|X|Y (Post 1820686)
never listened to the show because its only on apple but..

you'd prefer one bboy to two? that old radio show was the shit

i prefer the format of the show better and being able to add the songs thats being played into my library. the mmm mario c hello nasty episode is mind blowing good. a lot of beastie gems in there.

it’s worth checking out if you don’t have apple music. plus the first 3 months are free if you’re a cheapskate or if you’re so poor that you can’t afford 10 bucks a month for a quality music service.

Extra Cheese 09-19-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1820687)
apple music,,, a quality music service.

(n)

dust monkey 09-19-2018 02:48 PM

"we're not TLC"

Micodin 09-19-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Cheese (Post 1820688)
(n)

then stick to your trackphone my guy. idgaf

Extra Cheese 09-19-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1820690)
then stick to your trackphone my guy. idgaf

(n)(n)

Don’t even know what a track phone is or idgaf

M|X|Y 09-19-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust monkey (Post 1820689)
"we're not TLC"

The Male Meryl Streep :D(y)

Micodin 09-20-2018 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Cheese (Post 1820691)
(n)(n)

Don’t even know what a track phone is or idgaf

google is your friend my guy. while you’re at it search for smdftb while your at it.

tt5brevisited 09-20-2018 07:43 AM

(y)(y)(y)

Brass Monk 09-22-2018 02:02 PM

Interesting that the bboys have always been reluctant to talk about their epic legacy. Now they are doing interviews plugging a book that is of course all about looking back on their career. The result seems to be some real awkwardness in this interview and the feeling that they don't really care about their career. Just my opinion though

brooklyndust 09-22-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brass Monk (Post 1820699)
Interesting that the bboys have always been reluctant to talk about their epic legacy. Now they are doing interviews plugging a book that is of course all about looking back on their career. The result seems to be some real awkwardness in this interview and the feeling that they don't really care about their career. Just my opinion though

Their humbleness and sense of humour has always been one of my favourite qualities of them.

Some of my favourite quotes from them, and keeping it local to Toronto with Much Music interviews, and I am paraphrasing here:

"We try not to take ourselves too seriously, because if we did then we would be Don Henley, and we don't want to be Don Henley, not even he want's to be"

Interviewer: What do you think people would say about your legacy?
MCA: Yo, they all sucked after Brass Monkey.

Even years before they were inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and interviewer asked them what would they want in, and they always played it off like they didn't deserve to be in it.

Brass Monk 09-22-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1820700)
Their humbleness and sense of humour has always been one of my favourite qualities of them.

Some of my favourite quotes from them, and keeping it local to Toronto with Much Music interviews, and I am paraphrasing here:

"We try not to take ourselves too seriously, because if we did then we would be Don Henley, and we don't want to be Don Henley, not even he want's to be"

Interviewer: What do you think people would say about your legacy?
MCA: Yo, they all sucked after Brass Monkey.

Even years before they were inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and interviewer asked them what would they want in, and they always played it off like they didn't deserve to be in it.

They take that attitude to the extreme, to the point that they almost seem to be detached from reality. They should learn to take a compliment (but if they haven't by now, it ain't gonna happen).