Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   Cooking (Recipes) (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Christmas eats... (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=93517)

MC Moot 11-30-2009 12:36 PM

Christmas eats...

This is a lament...I'm traveling this holiday,so,I'm gonna miss a lot of my traditional fare...she say's I can do it for New Years...but we're going to her folks...nothing wrong with ham or turkey...it's just not celebratory enough to me...what really say's Christmas to you on your menu?

Antipasto
Cheese
Flat bread
Olives,pickled artickokes and eggplant
Bacala
Shrimp Cocktail
Tomato,onion salad
Prosciutto and melon
Lomo adobado (Breaded pork)
Figs,dates,almonds
White bean and chorizo soup
Calamares fritos (Fried eel/squid)
Tira Misu

jabumbo 11-30-2009 01:32 PM

Re: Christmas eats...

We do a big traditional Polish thing Christmas Eve. No meat, but plenty of goods.

Pierogis- both potato and saurkraut
Mashed potatoes
Saurkraut w/ beans
Cottage cheese
Prunes
Whatever fish concoction my cousin comes up with
Fried mushrooms and onions

probably my most favorite meal of the year. everything is home made, which makes it all the better (y)

MC Moot 11-30-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabumbo (Post 1711935)
We do a big traditional Polish thing Christmas Eve. No meat, but plenty of goods.

Pierogis- both potato and saurkraut
Mashed potatoes
Saurkraut w/ beans
Cottage cheese
Prunes
Whatever fish concoction my cousin comes up with
Fried mushrooms and onions

probably my most favorite meal of the year. everything is home made, which makes it all the better (y)

that sound interesting...what's the saurkraut and bean thing?...salad?...hot or cold?

jabumbo 11-30-2009 04:09 PM

^i think its meant to be sort of a soup, but its sort of just a side the way we end up having it.

but basically you simmer the kraut with some sort of white/yellow bean for hours and that's about it. leave all the brine with the kraut, and it is pretty soupy. usually when we toss it on the plate though, its with a fork so the liquid gets left behind. served warm.

HEIRESS 11-30-2009 04:25 PM

I go to the future Italian in-laws house for christmas eve and they do the traditional 9-13 non-meat dishes for that meal.

pretty much all of the non-meat dishes you mentioned above Moot are part of the spread.

plus some seafood pasta, a rapini dish, some sort of dish that uses this type of bean I haven,t never seen anywhere else, italian rice balls/patties with cheese, peas, sun dried tomatoes, or herbs (I pass on the ones with anchoves inside!), ridiculous huge fruit platter, ridiculous amounts of home-baked goods

bacala :( :( :(

then at my parents on Christmas day we have traditional fare with an Ukrainian twist:
turkey
home made cranberry sauce
stuffing
garlicy brussel sprouts
sweet potatoes
cabbage rolls with mushroom cream sauce
perogiessss
pickled beets, pickles, olives
and home made paska bread

fuck presents, just give me food at Christmas.

MC Moot 11-30-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEIRESS (Post 1711973)
bacala :( :( :(.

Por que...:confused:

Quote:

cabbage rolls with mushroom cream sauce

really?...I've never had such a thing...I want to try it!

Quote:

fuck presents, just give me food at Christmas.

oui,oui se oui!...:D

MC Moot 11-30-2009 05:25 PM

Heiress's hairy inlaws to be remind that I forgot panettone...:p...especially when done with brown sugar and brandy...and no candied fruit in it!...oh and crepes suzette...I used to have a connection to Jamaican rumballs that I do miss...

jabumbo 11-30-2009 06:00 PM

i've never eaten bacala, and i always feel the need to try it around the holiday season here. but the mixed reviews always seem to hold me back....

MC Moot 11-30-2009 06:08 PM

^even if you don't like fish...particularily salt cod,I'll bet you'd dig ours...it's all in the marinara...also the cod itself and how you rehydrate it...change that water!...and I don't use sherry just a sharp rioja...perdoneme la abuela...

NicRN77 11-30-2009 06:41 PM

I will be working the holiday this year, so Christmas will be December 27 for me. My mom and I usually go out for dinner on Christmas Eve...then she usually makes a lasagna for Christmas dinner. The thing I most look forward to this time of year is my mom's cookies. She makes about 20 different varieties and they only last a few days at my house!

HEIRESS 11-30-2009 07:50 PM

we never have gravy with our turkey dinners, ever!

cream sauce:
saute mushrooms and onions in a pan until mushrooms cooked and onions go translucent
add in tons of cream and then add salt and pepper to taste.
sometimes you need to add some cornstarch mixed in cold water to thicken it, depends each time.

it is to die for poured over both cabbage rolls AND turkey!

I could drink my fiance's moms red sauce from a glass, it's that good. There is just something about any form of salted or dried fish that gives me the eebie jeebies. I dont even like shrimp flakes skattered over my food if I'm at a sushi joint.

I am all over all forms of meat jerky though, so Im not sure what's up with that. the texture I guess...

Fern 11-30-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabumbo (Post 1711968)
^i think its meant to be sort of a soup, but its sort of just a side the way we end up having it.

but basically you simmer the kraut with some sort of white/yellow bean for hours and that's about it. leave all the brine with the kraut, and it is pretty soupy. usually when we toss it on the plate though, its with a fork so the liquid gets left behind. served warm.

My old lady says that it is a type of Bigos but inserting beans for meat .... i love it with sauage

MC Moot 12-01-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEIRESS (Post 1712020)
There is just something about any form of salted or dried fish that gives me the eebie jeebies. I dont even like shrimp flakes skattered over my food if I'm at a sushi joint.

I am all over all forms of meat jerky though, so Im not sure what's up with that. the texture I guess...

not even Indian candy?…but seriously you can’t even tell the cod fillet ever was dehydrated by the time it’s done,twice baked,with just the thick parts served as the meat in the dish...it flakes apart like nobody’s bidnezz...convert!

MC Moot 12-01-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicRN77 (Post 1711997)
The thing I most look forward to this time of year is my mom's cookies. She makes about 20 different varieties and they only last a few days at my house!

My Ma used to make macaroons,fig cookies,hot cross buns and shortbread...

*sigh*

HEIRESS 12-01-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC Moot (Post 1712100)
not even Indian candy?…but seriously you can’t even tell the cod fillet ever was dehydrated by the time it’s done,twice baked,with just the thick parts served as the meat in the dish...it flakes apart like nobody’s bidnezz...convert!

it's not that I don't eat it!
I mean cmon, I'm usually up for anything after 5ish glasses of home-brew Italian red wine...

MC Moot 12-01-2009 03:03 PM

^Is that a chianti then?...do they use the empty’s as candle holders?...do they have a red checkered table cloth and garlic and pepper bundles hanging in the kitchen?...cause we do…except the table cloth is always’s basque blue…;)

*I really want a ceramic italian lucky rooster,that holds toothpicks,to set it all off*

paul jones 12-01-2009 06:59 PM

beans on toast
scrambled egg on toast
ravioli on toast
spaghetti hoops on toast
cups of tea

Yorkshire~Rose 12-02-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul jones (Post 1712164)
beans on toast
scrambled egg on toast
ravioli on toast
spaghetti hoops on toast
cups of tea

:D

Do you have a box of Quality Street for pudding?

MC Moot 12-02-2009 11:25 AM

Spam on toast
Deviled ham on toast
Chips on toast
Marmalade on toast
Mint jelly on toast
Chutney on toast

When Paul Jones meets Paddington Bear Holiday Special…

paul jones 12-02-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire~Rose (Post 1712247)
:D

Do you have a box of Quality Street for pudding?

nope.just 20 Benson and Hedges

Randetica 12-02-2009 06:06 PM

we always get 2 huge plates full of most types of cheese and meat slices
lots of bread types
cucumbers
corn
tomatoes etc..

that actually sounds quite ghetto

MC Moot 12-03-2009 02:43 PM

I totally forgot about potato with pancetta croquettes and aioli…soooooooooo good...(y)

MC Moot 12-03-2009 03:51 PM

oh...and patatas bravas…

MC Moot 12-08-2009 04:06 PM

Tortas de cangrejo con saffron…(y)

MC Moot 12-08-2009 04:10 PM

mussels marinara…

na§tee 12-29-2009 11:04 AM

we have goose nowadays. it is delicious. with all the normal trimmings. red cabbage with beetroot and apple, stuffing, brussel sprouts with bacon and cream, PIGS IN BLANKETS <3, roast potatoes, more veg, cranberry sauce, yadda yadda yadda.

i am pretty fed up with turkey. it's just a big bastard chicken. my mother can't let it go though so she cooks a separate turkey on christmas eve and makes a pie in the days after christmas.

for boxing day we have some of the leftover goose wrapped in chinese pancakes.. it's amazing!