Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   Beastie-Free General Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   RATE: Avengers (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=97975)

ProfJIM 05-06-2012 09:15 PM

RATE: Avengers

I'm really happy Joss Whedon has made the number one movie in the world right now. This summer is going to break a lot of records.

The Notorious LOL 05-06-2012 10:07 PM

Re: RATE: Avengers

I liked the straight forward approach. The reboot/rehashing aspect of comic book series tends to be daunting to me, so most of what I read tends to be one off graphic novels and/or horror and crime comics from the early 1950s.

What I liked is that it had an appropriate amount of cheese to it, but it was comic book cheese exactly the way it should be done i.e. Loki getting pummeled by the Hulk. The story was told well, but it wasn't taking itself too seriously, and it was an enjoyable watch.

When comparing to something like, The Dark Knight, for example....its easy for me to forget that it was based off a comic book reimage. With this, everything about it feels like a comic...which is precisely what worked so well for it.

I have my doubts that I will enjoy Dark Knight Rises more than this, to be honest.

I'd say 9.5

Matt 05-06-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Notorious LOL (Post 1785151)
What I liked is that it had an appropriate amount of cheese to it, but it was comic book cheese exactly the way it should be done i.e. Loki getting pummeled by the Hulk. The story was told well, but it wasn't taking itself too seriously, and it was an enjoyable watch.

I mostly agree with this. The cheesiness wore thin by the end of the movie, at least for me. I don't really have any specific complaint other than that, though. The action scenes were extremely well done, all the effects looked top notch. Even the characterization was great, and most superhero movies can't lay claim to that.

I'd give it an 8.5 to 9. I picked the Echewta option because come on.

ToucanSpam 05-07-2012 06:48 AM

I gave it a 10 although it's not the perfect movie. Are we talking spoilers in here or are we reserving that for a time when everyone's had a chance to see it? I'd like to talk about it in more detail but I don't want to soil someone else's moviegoing experience.

Lex Diamonds 05-08-2012 04:21 AM

You can't give it a 10 if it's not the perfect movie. Besides that, it's clearly not a 10. If Avengers Assemble is a 10/10 then what is On The Waterfront? North By Northwest? Goodfellas? Do you really mean to tell me Avengers Assemble is as good as these films?

To summarise: Toucan is a fanboy douche.

Lex Diamonds 05-08-2012 04:21 AM

Also, I thought the film was pretty awesome, despite being skeptical about the whole 10 year plan cash-in thing. Would give it an 8.5 or a 9.

ToucanSpam 05-08-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Padster (Post 1785779)
You can't give it a 10 if it's not the perfect movie. Besides that, it's clearly not a 10. If Avengers Assemble is a 10/10 then what is On The Waterfront? North By Northwest? Goodfellas? Do you really mean to tell me Avengers Assemble is as good as these films?

I can give it whatever number I want, rube. I enjoyed the movie from start to finish and there's only small things to take issue with. As for comparing the movie to other movies, where in this thread did anyone say it was a comparative analysis? Chill out, man.

The Notorious LOL 05-08-2012 06:44 PM

Its hard to assign a simple number to a movie and run with that, based on varying genres, what the movie is about, etc.

This is a 9.5 for a fun straight to the point comic book movie. I'd probably give the same score to some of my favorite Hitchcock movies, but the number itself wouldn't necessarily mean that I like both equally. For an action movie to be a 9 or 10, it has to be a really fun movie. For a drama to get a 9 or 10, it has to have an amazing story/top notch acting, etc.

This isnt going to win any Oscars, and it doesn't deserve any...but for what it is, it is awesome.

hpdrifter 05-08-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfJIM (Post 1785122)
I'm really happy Joss Whedon has made the number one movie in the world right now.

Me too. Due to Buffy I will follow him anywhere.

ProfJIM 05-08-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Padster (Post 1785779)

It's about enjoyment. You can love a "imperfect" movie just as much as a critically lauded "perfect" one.