Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   KRS-One shouts out wrong Beastie Boy in Song dedicated to dead rappers (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100363)

M|X|Y 05-11-2017 03:10 PM

KRS-One shouts out wrong Beastie Boy in Song dedicated to dead rappers

:eek:--Adrock?!

http://pitchfork.com/news/73449-krs-...ocial_facebook

DOH!!

dave790 05-11-2017 07:50 PM

Re: KRS-One shouts out wrong Beastie Boy in Song dedicated to dead rappers

I have a lot of respect for KRS, and the sentiment is nice, but this is staggering.

Bradleystp 05-11-2017 08:28 PM

While it is crazy KRS made this error, it really is unbelievable that nobody (producers, mixers, engineers, friends, etc) caught this either! I guess it will be interesting to see if he comments on it at all.

I would love to hear Adrocks response to this. While it must be hard as it is another reminder of MCA, I imagine Adrock would have a great sense of humor about this.

Sir SkratchaLot 05-12-2017 04:46 AM

I lost any respect I had for KRS when he shrugged off the Afrika Bambaataa child sexual abuse allegations. This is just icing on the cake.

Micodin 05-12-2017 04:49 AM

I always thought it was Mike D that was mistakenly thought dead.

Bradleystp 05-12-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1819606)

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

abbott 05-12-2017 05:22 PM

It just hasn't been the same since Mike D passed away...

Is what some guy told me last week.

tuc70021 05-12-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1819605)
I lost any respect I had for KRS when he shrugged off the Afrika Bambaataa child sexual abuse allegations. This is just icing on the cake.

Do you have any good sources that talk about any legal proceedings or formal charges about this? This is the first I've heard of it and it's definitely some concerning shit. All I've found are very "he said, she said" pieces of journalism, but nothing more concrete than that.

b-grrrlie 05-13-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1819603)
I have a lot of respect for KRS, and the sentiment is nice, but this is staggering.

He's one of my favourite rappers (besides Beasties), but this pushes him down quite a few notches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradleystp (Post 1819604)
While it is crazy KRS made this error, it really is unbelievable that nobody (producers, mixers, engineers, friends, etc) caught this either!

That IS quite unbelievable! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1819605)

I'd never heard of that either (not about Bambaataa nor KRS's opinion on it).

Even tho KRS-One is (was?) one of my favourite rappers this makes me less sorry that I didn't go to his gig here in Stockholm a few weeks back. I usually go to gigs every week, sometimes several (like four gigs in three days last week, and I'm 57....) my work wears me out and sometimes I'm too tired to go out, as was the case here. Now I wonder if I ever will go to see him live (if he ever comes back to these shores).

Sir SkratchaLot 05-13-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1819609)
Do you have any good sources that talk about any legal proceedings or formal charges about this? This is the first I've heard of it and it's definitely some concerning shit. All I've found are very "he said, she said" pieces of journalism, but nothing more concrete than that.

It's all over youtube so feel free to review and draw your own conclusions. There were interviews with victims, lots of people speaking out. I think too much time has passed for legal proceedings. You never really know for sure so judge for yourself. My read was that these victims did not come across as making shit up or trying to get attention/money. They were very specific. It's horrible really. KRS came to Bam's defense basically shrugging off the situation by saying in the hood people do all types of bad stuff. He later tried to backtrack some but in a very KRS unapologetic way.

Micodin 05-14-2017 07:26 AM

KRS was recently on the Drinks Podcast and kind of walk backed his initial statements. But he still stands by his statement that Bam is a pillar of Hip Hop and founding father and nothing can take away from that.

It's another Bill Cosby situation where there are far too many accusers and too much time has passed. Sad really.

Friis gal 05-14-2017 07:31 AM

And apparently he's removed the original song from digital platforms, and will re-record the song

https://twitter.com/IAmKRSOne/status/863423489679646720

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2017/05/...lyric-mistake/

fonky pizza 05-14-2017 07:46 AM

Hahaha :rolleyes:

WesleyOHSnaps! 05-14-2017 03:02 PM

Way to keep advertising your album in an apology

Bernard Goetz 05-15-2017 11:03 AM

Jay Z also mixed up the two when talking about filling in for the Beasties in his Decoded book. wtf

Quote:

In 2008 I headlined at another big rock festival, the All Points West show in New York. Unlike Glastonbury, there wasn’t any real controversy. I wasn’t even supposed to be on the bill. I was filling in at the last minute for the original headliners, the Beastie Boys, because Ad Rock, one of the Boys, had to drop out for cancer treatments. In their honor, I opened my show with a cover of their classic Brooklyn anthem, “No Sleep Till Brooklyn.”
https://archive.org/stream/DecodedBy...Jay-Z_djvu.txt

KENNY GUIDO 05-15-2017 11:23 AM

I always maintained krs-1 was a fraud and didn't know shit about hip hop. I now rest my case.

tuc70021 05-15-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO (Post 1819618)
I always maintained krs-1 was a fraud and didn't know shit about hip hop. I now rest my case.

What made you think that in the first place? His music, or was it something he used to say?

Brass Monk 05-15-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

He can be pretentious and snobbish about Hip Hop but I think he knows plenty about it. And the explanation for the mess up is almost decent (rushing through it and releasing it without thinking about it) and most importantly he's fixing it (and released a lengthy apology).

Micodin 05-16-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

:rolleyes: FOH. KRS is hip hop. You can be mad about him mixing up Adrock with MCA all you want but you can't discredit what KRS has done for hip hop culture.

freetibet 05-17-2017 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1819606)

"Well I'm Mike D and I'm back from the dead"

Rumor has it, he himself started this fake back in '89.

Bernard Goetz 05-17-2017 07:44 AM

I remember my cousin telling me when we were at a Red Sox game that Mike D had died. That was 88 I think.

fonky pizza 05-17-2017 08:24 AM

Yeah their names have always been mixed up and it's still the same now! :)

Brother McDuff 05-18-2017 02:46 PM

haha, from a guy who's name stands for "Knowledge Reigns Supreme". Priceless.

He's an irreplaceable figure in hip-hop, but has always been pretty ignorant in my book. Just loves to hear himself preach and is often blatantly full of shit.

YoungRemy 05-18-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz (Post 1819616)
Jay Z also mixed up the two when talking about filling in for the Beasties in his Decoded book. wtf

https://archive.org/stream/DecodedBy...Jay-Z_djvu.txt

he also got the year wrong, it was '09

smh all around this fuckery