Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What drugs did the Boys do? (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=93488)

PENisland 11-26-2009 04:33 AM

What drugs did the Boys do?

Anyone mind filling me in on whats true on the LTI and PB records as far as drugs go? I mean we know they smoked pot, that's in general but did they really do ecstasy ["I had a beautiful experience on ecstasy"] or on the Car Thief demo Mike D's verse "Chewin' on mushrooms and gettin' high"

iLLaSS 11-26-2009 06:38 AM

Re: What drugs did the Boys do?

:confused:

The 80's were a crazy, self-indulgent time for all of us (at least those of us who were old enough to be alive back then), and I think a good listen with an open-minded ear (along with some lyric references) is all you'll need to find your answer.

Kid Presentable 11-26-2009 07:12 AM

Many of the people here have probably done most of the drugs they've done. But I don't even care enough to speculate.

cj hood 11-26-2009 10:12 AM

i wish they'd go back on drugs....

first 3 records > rest of catalog

KevG 11-26-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1711495)

WHAT?

The first record is crap and was only good at the time because it was new.... and I was like 13.. As a 37 year old now, I NEVER listen to that shit..

"Paul's Boutique" is a classic..

"Hello Nasty" is right up there with "Check Your Head"....

Why do people always hate on "Ill Communication"?

pshabi 11-26-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevG (Post 1711503)
WHAT?

The first record is crap and was only good at the time because it was new.... and I was like 13.. As a 37 year old now, I NEVER listen to that shit..

You're missing out then. I've listened to it a crap ton the last 2-3 years. It's come full circle, imo.

mate_spawn_die 11-26-2009 02:16 PM

there's a funny story about mike d taking mushrroms on the paul's boutique commentary.

Guy Incognito 11-26-2009 03:03 PM

i would offer that if they had done a shitload of e then the music would have sounded different. only because in the late 80's early 90's that drug was associated with house music/techno scene and if they'd been knockin back the pills chances are they would have been going to raves, so i dont think they did that. just an opinion

darius 11-26-2009 04:14 PM

"I can't pay attention cuz I'm on that dust"

miss soul fire 11-26-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1711495)

Hahahaha!:D

That's bad. Well, this is hard to know because maybe not even they know what drugs they did back in the old days. I've never done drugs, but I believe that if after being wasted you don't know what the hell you did the other night, then you wouldn't know for sure if you had anything different during the crazy effect.:D

jayjacobson16 11-26-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

WHAT?

The first record is crap and was only good at the time because it was new.... and I was like 13.. As a 37 year old now, I NEVER listen to that shit.

LTI is a pretty good album. I don't hate it, but i only really like 3 songs. People act like that album could even compare to the others.

Shake your rump and Car Thief beat that whole album.

To the 5 boroughs laughs at LTI in it's sleep.

and every other album does similar things to LTI...

smith7800 11-26-2009 07:13 PM

This is an unfortunate discussion.

Rodie 11-27-2009 01:03 AM

In the Paul's Boutique book someone mentions (I think one of the Dust Brothers) that pretty much everyone involved in making PB was on hallucinogens and quite frequently too.

brmanuk 11-27-2009 11:28 AM

They obviously did weed, shrooms and Yauch was into LSD. I'm sure in the PB 33/3 book, a member of the Dust Brothers says they were smoking a lot of base at the time. Thats pretty hardcore. The boys definitely smoked dust, and if this video is anything to go by, sold dust too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLW5jadTyQ

Thunder D 11-27-2009 12:38 PM

There was an article in Ego Trip Magazine, with AdRock, where he said he had tried heroin.

Brother McDuff 11-27-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brmanuk (Post 1711590)
They obviously did weed, shrooms and Yauch was into LSD. I'm sure in the PB 33/3 book, a member of the Dust Brothers says they were smoking a lot of base at the time. Thats pretty hardcore. The boys definitely smoked dust, and if this video is anything to go by, sold dust too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLW5jadTyQ

Hmmm, I really hope you're kidding about the selling dust bit. Adrock is clearly joking when he says that. According to Yauch, he only smoked dust once, and it was by accident. Someone passed him a joint backstage at a Murphy's Law concert that was laced. And lastly, I've read the 33 1/3 book a few times and dont recall the base-smoking reference at all.

Weak topic. (n) This whole thread is already brimming with sensationalism.

Adam 11-27-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1711602)

*has second thoughts about thread "What girls did the boys do while on drugs"*

Sir SkratchaLot 11-27-2009 04:58 PM

Adrock started drinking a lot of coffee for a reason. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, they never really sensationalized drugs though. At least not comparative to other acts. There's definitely crazy references to drug use but that's life, especially when you're in the music industry, especially in New York in the 80s (lots of dust, heroine, and cocaine) and in LA in the 90s.

Dave Scilken died of an overdose in 1991. I'm sure there were other casualties too. After the Ill Comm era you don't hear too much about drugs from them (except weed which, come on, is that really still considered a drug?) The last hard-drug reference I can think of is Four Fly Guys in 1994.

MrPerfect 11-27-2009 07:03 PM

I think they still smoke weed. Don't bother me. They are still God's!

And LMAO @ that video... "What's the name of the new album??"

MCA: "Don't be a faggot!"

JDsmagik 11-28-2009 12:04 AM

"I f*cked loverboy" "All of them"

wasn't that one of the title options? :p

"Lemon colored Stereo"

"woah, woah, woah, you gotta have a minute of silence first"
"Can't you guys edit?!"

Space 11-30-2009 04:58 PM

Don't do drugs that are made by other people unless you want to be buying drugs made by other people the rest of your life. :eek:

Junker 11-30-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Why do people always hate on "Ill Communication"?

I love Ill Communication. I think its my most listened to album.

M.C. Guevera 12-01-2009 03:21 AM

Didn't Yauch say in an interview years ago during the Hello Nasty era that they exaggerated their drug use in their old songs? That they never did angel dust or sniffed glue?

brmanuk 12-02-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Hmmm, I really hope you're kidding about the selling dust bit. Adrock is clearly joking when he says that.

What makes you think he's kidding? Personally, Mike D sounds pretty sincere when he says he wants to buy "some dust in the park" (@ 1:40). And if Mike D was just foolin' Ad-Rock seems to know exactly which park Mike was about to describe.

Remember, this footage wasn't supposed to be shown to anyone so it's not like they're trying to keep an image up.

Quote:

:rolleyes:

brmanuk 12-02-2009 02:04 PM

Hang on this isn't even an issue - Ad-Rock even has a hidden message on Pauls Boutique where he whispers "take pcp". That message, combined with the previous video I posted, combined with the fact their publishing label is called BROOKLYN DUST MUSIC makes it's pretty obvious that they indeed did smoke dust. :eek: :D Don't tell the cops though.

surfingelectrod 12-02-2009 02:37 PM

Shadrach was pretty much just Yauch spending his time dropping acid, listening to Sly & The Family Stone, and reading the Old Testament.

Kid Presentable 12-02-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brmanuk (Post 1712227)
What makes you think he's kidding? Personally, Mike D sounds pretty sincere when he says he wants to buy "some dust in the park" (@ 1:40). And if Mike D was just foolin' Ad-Rock seems to know exactly which park Mike was about to describe.

Remember, this footage wasn't supposed to be shown to anyone so it's not like they're trying to keep an image up.

:rolleyes:

Idiot. Don't worry, though. You're not the only one. (y)

JDsmagik 12-02-2009 07:45 PM

Music: it's highly addictive and can cause mood swings.

brmanuk 12-03-2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Presentable (Post 1712309)
Idiot. Don't worry, though. You're not the only one. (y)

In what way am I an idiot? I'd love for you to try to explain that, Kid. Funny how you didn't quote my second message.

Ty Webb 12-06-2009 02:23 PM

i remember a rolling stone article from "hello nasty" era. MCA saying he's had fans come up to him and say, "i used to smoke so much dust listening to LTI," and MCA going like what the hell i've never smoked dust in my life. who knows/cares, really? I don't think they were like motley crue or anything.