Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for an Official Country Mike LP (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100446)

tuc70021 06-26-2018 12:14 PM

Looking for an Official Country Mike LP

I'm looking for a legit (red or black) copy of Country Mike's Greatest Hits. I'd buy it for a very fair market price via PayPal if anyone is willing to part with a copy. Thanks!

Michelle*s_Farm 06-30-2018 04:46 AM

Re: Looking for an Official Country Mike LP

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1820370)
I'm looking for a legit (red or black) copy of Country Mike's Greatest Hits. I'd buy it for a very fair market price via PayPal if anyone is willing to part with a copy. Thanks!

For interest: What is the "very fair market price" for my unopened Country Mike's Greatest Hits LP which was a gift from Adam Yauch?

tuc70021 06-30-2018 09:41 AM

That's a great question, and honestly I have no idea. I was just talking to a friend yesterday about how I've never seen a legit, sealed Country Mike for sale. From what I've seen on Ebay, Discogs, and from my own purchasing history, an opened, VG+/NM copy usually goes for between $100-$150 within the US. Obviously some copies go for way more if someone is willing to pay it, but the median price is usually in that $100-$150 range.

A sealed copy on the other hand.... I have no idea. I'm anti-sealed (I opened everything and play it), so I don't follow those markets very closely. Sounds like you've got quite the gem though!

Sir SkratchaLot 06-30-2018 06:46 PM

They've bounced around. I've seen them go in the $400.00s and for around $100.00. I imagine if you're patient you could find one for $100-$150. They aren't as rare as you might think.

tuc70021 06-30-2018 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1820374)
They've bounced around. I've seen them go in the $400.00s and for around $100.00. I imagine if you're patient you could find one for $100-$150. They aren't as rare as you might think.

Oh wow, I had no idea sealed copies we be that "reasonably" priced. I wonder why they're still sealed? If they were given as gifts, it seems odd not to open it. Although I guess Michelle*s_Farm is in that boat. Is there a story there?

Sir SkratchaLot 07-02-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1820375)
Oh wow, I had no idea sealed copies we be that "reasonably" priced. I wonder why they're still sealed? If they were given as gifts, it seems odd not to open it. Although I guess Michelle*s_Farm is in that boat. Is there a story there?

They were supposedly pressed for friends/family/grand royal employees but there were LOTS of copies (probably just leftovers) that ended up on eBay and other places for sale to the public. At one point a guy had a stock of the red ones and was selling them for something like $50 or $75 a piece. (I can't remember which). I have to imaging that people kept them sealed because they knew they were rare. A lot of them were opened only to find out the color of the vinyl.

You have to watch out for bootegs with this record but there are real ones out there. I can't say I've seen them as frequently as I used to, but they come up every once in a while.

abbott 07-04-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1820376)
They were supposedly pressed for friends/family/grand royal employees but there were LOTS of copies (probably just leftovers) that ended up on eBay and other places for sale to the public. At one point a guy had a stock of the red ones and was selling them for something like $50 or $75 a piece. (I can't remember which). I have to imaging that people kept them sealed because they knew they were rare. A lot of them were opened only to find out the color of the vinyl.

You have to watch out for bootegs with this record but there are real ones out there. I can't say I've seen them as frequently as I used to, but they come up every once in a while.

wish I was there

Michelle*s_Farm 07-08-2018 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuc70021 (Post 1820375)

Great question. Each time you play an LP the sound quality degrades. I am a bit weird that way (my TT5B is unopened as well as my TMR). Also, I knew it was going to be a real collector's item because it was a limited pressing gift for friends of the band. If I recall correctly, I downloaded the MP3s from Napster (or some other old school file sharing service) at the time so I could at least hear the tracks rather than play them off the LP. My 'plan' was to sell it someday to send my child to university. Unfortunately, the price does not seem to be rising as high as I had hoped. Maybe the best I can hope for someday is buying them a bus ticket to Florida if they graduate with a PhD ;)

stoffel79 07-10-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1820376)

they were even cheaper then that, i was lucky to get one of them, but that must have been more then 10 years ago, if not 15

Sir SkratchaLot 07-11-2018 07:29 AM

I checked my old e-mails and the ones I got cheapest were in March of 2007 and sold for $50.00 buy it now on eBay. Seller had multiple copies for sale.