Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amazon's description of the new book (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100426)

brooklyndust 03-26-2018 10:25 AM

Amazon's description of the new book

A panoramic experience that tells the story of Beastie Boys, a book as unique as the band itself—by band members AD-ROCK and Mike D, with contributions from Amy Poehler, Colson Whitehead, Spike Jonze, Wes Anderson, Luc Sante, and more.

Formed as a New York City hardcore band in 1981, Beastie Boys struck an unlikely path to global hip hop superstardom. Here is their story, told for the first time in the words of the band. Adam “AD-ROCK” Horovitz and Michael “Mike D” Diamond offer revealing and very funny accounts of their transition from teenage punks to budding rappers; their early collaboration with Russell Simmons and Rick Rubin; the almost impossible-to-fathom overnight success of their debut studio album Licensed to Ill; that album’s messy fallout; their break with Def Jam, move to Los Angeles, and rebirth as musicians and social activists, with the genre-defying masterpiece Paul’s Boutique. For more than twenty years, this band has had a wide-ranging and lasting influence on popular culture.

With a style as distinctive and eclectic as a Beastie Boys album, Beastie Boys Book upends the typical music memoir. Alongside the band narrative you will find rare photos, original illustrations, a cookbook by chef Roy Choi, a graphic novel, a map of Beastie Boys’ New York, mixtape playlists, pieces by guest contributors, and many more surprises.

Sir SkratchaLot 03-26-2018 02:59 PM

Re: Amazon's description of the new book

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1820157)
A panoramic experience that tells the story of Beastie Boys, a book as unique as the band itself—by band members AD-ROCK and Mike D, with contributions from Amy Poehler, Colson Whitehead, Spike Jonze, Wes Anderson, Luc Sante, and more.

Formed as a New York City hardcore band in 1981, Beastie Boys struck an unlikely path to global hip hop superstardom. Here is their story, told for the first time in the words of the band. Adam “AD-ROCK” Horovitz and Michael “Mike D” Diamond offer revealing and very funny accounts of their transition from teenage punks to budding rappers; their early collaboration with Russell Simmons and Rick Rubin; the almost impossible-to-fathom overnight success of their debut studio album Licensed to Ill; that album’s messy fallout; their break with Def Jam, move to Los Angeles, and rebirth as musicians and social activists, with the genre-defying masterpiece Paul’s Boutique. For more than twenty years, this band has had a wide-ranging and lasting influence on popular culture.

With a style as distinctive and eclectic as a Beastie Boys album, Beastie Boys Book upends the typical music memoir. Alongside the band narrative you will find rare photos, original illustrations, a cookbook by chef Roy Choi, a graphic novel, a map of Beastie Boys’ New York, mixtape playlists, pieces by guest contributors, and many more surprises.

Like Nu Shooz said, I can't wait!

abbott 03-26-2018 07:22 PM

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1820161)
Like Nu Shooz said, I can't wait!

pesto pizza 03-27-2018 12:08 AM

I wonder if they will release Hot sauce committee part one now, as it was brought up by Mike D in the lastest Vulture interview

Bernard Goetz 03-28-2018 08:51 AM

Funny to hear Paul's Boutique described as "genre-defying" - it's 100% hiphop.

dave790 03-28-2018 09:46 AM

It defied what hip hop was at the time, though.

Bernard Goetz 03-28-2018 10:38 AM

Ah, I can see that - I was reading the term "genre-defying" as meaning uncategorizable.

dave790 03-28-2018 11:07 AM

I agree it is not particularly clear, though it is difficult to properly explain anything in blurbs / abstracts.

That being said, it has only enhanced my excitement for the final product! One thing I find with such memoirs is that they are often heavily weighted towards the early years. Which makes sense, but I don't know - I'm kind of just as interested in the 2000s as the 1980s.

Pumped either way!

Extra Cheese 03-28-2018 11:21 AM

I wonder how long sacha jenkins was involved for, probably not much at all. From the time the book was announced to now he's been a pretty busy man. It's too bad. I was really excited about this book when I heard he was going to be involved.

Quote:

contributions from Amy Poehler, Colson Whitehead, Spike Jonze, Wes Anderson, Luc Sante, and more
I guess that sounds somewhat interesting in way.

brooklyndust 03-28-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1820182)
I'm kind of just as interested in the 2000s as the 1980s.

Pumped either way!

I am a bit more interested in that period too.

The LTI era has been covered a lot and you hear many stories from other Def Jam artists biographies around that time period, but I'm curious around the Hello Nasty era and the hiatuses that followed. No matter what era, I can't wait to check it out.
If it's anything like the anthology booklet that I've read 100's of times, then it will be great.

Brother McDuff 03-28-2018 11:38 AM

I think they are far prouder of their output post LTI, and have actively tried to be recognized for such over the years. Mike's recent interview even illustrates his belief that their career shouldnt be defined by a handful of milestones (LTI, Sabotage video, etc.), but just as much the smaller events in between. So considering it's an autobiography and they're at the wheel, I reckon they'll handily offer up plenty of juice on the latter.

dave790 03-28-2018 11:40 AM

Yes agreed - I've read that booklet so many times, if I ever hear a song off the Anthology I can practically relay every single word! While they were very entertaining interviewees, they rarely spoke that seriously about the process of creating songs (in my experience), so I found the booklet to be very revelatory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Cheese (Post 1820184)
I wonder how long sacha jenkins was involved for, probably not much at all. From the time the book was announced to now he's been a pretty busy man. It's too bad. I was really excited about this book when I heard he was going to be involved.

I thought Sacha Jenkins was editing the book? At least the description doesn't say he's NOT editing it, but you'd think it would mention it if that was the case.

cj hood 03-28-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Cheese (Post 1820184)

He backed out cuz they were taking too long....

brooklyndust 03-28-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1820190)
they rarely spoke that seriously about the process of creating songs (in my experience), so I found the booklet to be very revelatory.

I thought they brought in good insight on how songs evolved and were created. Unless you were looking for more technical aspects.

It seemed a lot of it was jamming and fucking around (like for Sabotage) and then polishing it up later.

Or really digging a groove like Jimmy Smith's Root Down, making a beat and then putting the lyrics on top of it later.

dave790 03-28-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1820194)
I thought they brought in good insight on how songs evolved and were created. Unless you were looking for more technical aspects.

It seemed a lot of it was jamming and fucking around (like for Sabotage) and then polishing it up later.

Or really digging a groove like Jimmy Smith's Root Down, making a beat and then putting the lyrics on top of it later.

Yes I agree with all of that. Sorry, I meant that they rarely spoke about the creative process in interviews etc before the anthology booklet. So actually reading that shit was amazing for me.

Brother McDuff 03-28-2018 04:59 PM

Would be a nice surprise to see ample participation from Mario. I'm sure he can offer up all types of juicy studio anecdotes and technical nerdery, among other valuable, general input.

dave790 03-29-2018 04:54 AM

Agreed. Always the most viable candidate for 'fourth' Beastie Boy in my mind, although naturally MMM earned his stripes on the live circuit.

YoungRemy 04-05-2018 06:59 AM

To be released 10-30-2018, no title yet.

Brother McDuff 04-05-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1820203)
Agreed. Always the most viable candidate for 'fourth' Beastie Boy in my mind

I've always been a little curious why Mario was so definitively shrugged off by the boys post HN. Never seem to hear any props or even an acknowledgement of him since. Kinda strange given how involved he was over such a lengthy, vital stretch of their output.

I feel like I read on the boards at one point that there was a falling out between him and MCA over a gal, but it sounded more like chatty gossip, especially considering Yauch had already tied the knot by this time, so I never really subscribed to that explanation much.

dave790 04-05-2018 01:28 PM

I always just thought they wanted to work by themselves. But who knows. You did, however, inspire me to unearth this gossipy thread haha.

http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=77572

Kid Presentable 04-05-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1820209)
I always just thought they wanted to work by themselves. But who knows. You did, however, inspire me to unearth this gossipy thread haha.

Fuck we were all amazing.

Laver1969 04-05-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1820209)

Nice digging. That was a fun trip down memory lane.

Brother McDuff 04-05-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Presentable (Post 1820210)
Fuck we were all amazing.

:D

Extra Cheese 04-06-2018 09:58 AM

what about the money mark beef, remember that shit?

Kid Presentable 04-07-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Cheese (Post 1820213)
what about the money mark beef, remember that shit?

:D

Michelle*s_Farm 04-12-2018 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz (Post 1820179)
Funny to hear Paul's Boutique described as "genre-defying" - it's 100% hiphop.

I remember at the time playing it for others and some folks said 'what the hell is this?'. Others thought it contained too many samples. I do think "Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun" must have sounded quite unique compared to other rap singles. "Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun" appears to take the rap rock sounds from LTI and update them in significantly interesting ways. Perhaps this postmodern pastiche is what makes PB so timeless.

pip07 04-20-2018 12:39 AM

just put down a preorder

Brother McDuff 04-20-2018 10:01 AM

dang, didnt even realize we're in for 592 pages of material. so so def. :cool:

YoungRemy 05-15-2018 08:25 AM

www.beastieboysbook.com

@beastieboysbook instagram

Interesting choice of cover photo and title

WesleyOHSnaps! 05-15-2018 08:54 AM