Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Girls (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=99610)

Michelle*s_Farm 11-27-2013 04:48 AM

Re: Girls

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Presentable (Post 1811340)
The original song isn’t half as annoying as the common interpretations of it. Yes it’s juvenile, and yes it says stupid things. But on the whole, this kid liked this girl, and she rejected him. Twice. For his best friends. And so he lashes out with some insults to make himself feel better. Pretty standard. Not right, but standard behaviour, particularly for a young bloke. Verrrrrry tame insults, too. Think of the things he could have said. It’s just a silly song telling a silly story; the old “can’t live with them, can’t live without them” paradigm. Would have made a great hardcore track (which it basically is).

Ya we sure do say some stupid things when we feel rejected -- especially when you are young. Perhaps (at some deep unconscious level) the song writers were hypothesising that the origins of human sexism / homophobia is the result of unconsciously feeling inferior. Kind of like repressed gay men being homophobic. Or perhaps they were just telling a fun, silly story based on someone they new at the time. I think Goldieblox and others are making an enormous mistake to consider this song literally or how the authors felt and behaved toward women at the time (i.e., with regards to the female gender-stereotyped roles or if a woman does not like me she must be gay idea).

Michelle*s_Farm 11-27-2013 05:29 AM

Big news, on Goldieblox youtube channel the video has been made private. This could be tactic, legal reasons or perhaps Goldieblox is not willing to fight Beastie Boys and their legion of intelligent supporters (after they get mobilised).

Kid Presentable 11-27-2013 05:40 AM

Mobilised. Yeah, right.

Lyman Zerga 11-27-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stooges (Post 1811325)
I always hated that song. Not because of the lyrics....I couldn't care less back then... I just hated the sound of it. I always fast forwarded Girls and Fight For Your Right. They're the lamest songs on the album.

yeah, the music for girls sounds like it got written for 3 year olds
and fight for your right is too rockish for me but i like the lyrics

im glad that company atleast hasnt used a better beastie song but it is still not fair at all

and till this case i didnt even know how many beastie haters were out there

JohnnyChavello 11-27-2013 08:51 AM

Goldieblox's letter re: takedown.

This company's a joke. They're on some evangelical, millenial, startup bullshit. Check out this video they made to benefit a village in India. It's probably the most tone-deaf, offensive shit I've seen in a long time.

Bernard Goetz 11-27-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyChavello (Post 1811351)
Goldieblox's letter re: takedown.

This company's a joke. They're on some evangelical, millenial, startup bullshit. Check out this video they made to benefit a village in India. It's probably the most tone-deaf, offensive shit I've seen in a long time.

I am growing to really dislike this company. They're contending to become for girl empowerment what PETA is for vegans. Awful.
"A song we weren't too proud of..." Umm, you can't be proud or not proud of something you have nothing to do with, dickwads.

JohnnyChavello 11-27-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz (Post 1811352)
"A song we weren't too proud of..." Umm, you can't be proud or not proud of something you have nothing to do with, dickwads.

Exactly. What level of being a self-involved asshole do you need to reach to tell someone you aren't proud of their music?

The Ron 11-27-2013 11:39 AM

That letter from GoldieBlox is ridiculous.
It states: “Our hearts sank last week when your lawyers called us with threats”

How is asking them how/why they used “Girls” w/out permission considered a threat??

JoLovesMCA 11-27-2013 12:51 PM

The more they talk the deeper their hole of shit gets! And the whole part of “song you’re not proud of” just pisses me off. Yes they had every intention of using it to sell their product and their open letter reveals that........they are trying to make the Beasties look bad. PALEEZE!!! This band has done a lot more for youth and female empowerment than their little old company ever will.

I like that they said Adam Yauch is the reason they decided to pull it, but it doesn’t seem sincere at all. Especially since they say in the next breath oh but it’s fair use anyway…like they are doing the Beasties a favor by not using it now.

Lyman Zerga 11-27-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz (Post 1811352)
I am growing to really dislike this company. They're contending to become for girl empowerment what PETA is for vegans. Awful.

yes (y)

i love your comparison

Micodin 11-27-2013 02:01 PM

All they had to do was ask permission first.

If they were such fans and wanted to be friends, that would of been the polite thing to do.

Documad 11-27-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyChavello (Post 1811351)

What a load of shit. Now I'm actually getting upset. They're continuing to set this up as if the Beastie Boys brought the lawsuit. This stupid company wants everyone to believe they were FORCED to sue the Beastie Boys and now they have no control over it--they can't possibly dismiss the lawsuit they started. Yes, they could, easily. WTF.

checkyourprez 11-27-2013 09:05 PM

probably some women who made that commercial and thought they could get away with it.

:rolleyes:

Kid Presentable 11-27-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Documad (Post 1811368)
What a load of shit. Now I'm actually getting upset. They're continuing to set this up as if the Beastie Boys brought the lawsuit. This stupid company wants everyone to believe they were FORCED to sue the Beastie Boys and now they have no control over it--they can't possibly dismiss the lawsuit they started. Yes, they could, easily. WTF.

Doc, is there an element of slander or defamation involved in what the toy company is communicating?

Documad 11-27-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Presentable (Post 1811370)
Doc, is there an element of slander or defamation involved in what the toy company is communicating?

They can probably say that's how they felt -- they were just stating their opinion in saying they felt threatened. But it's really shitty. Next the company will say their lawyer forced them into it. :rolleyes:

3stooges 11-27-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1811361)
All they had to do was ask permission first.

If they were such fans and wanted to be friends, that would of been the polite thing to do.

Yes, but they knew the B-Boys stance on commercials. They figured there was a strong chance they'd be turned down. So their move was to put it out without asking. Then when the B-Boys contact them, they blow it up in the press with a lawsuit. Some underhanded shit, as they still get all the attention and press they wanted. I'm sure in their minds they were like "either way we can't lose".

A wolf in sheep's clothing. They pretend they're for these noble social causes, but in reality, all they care about is themselves and their business. The audacity of some people, it just never fails to surprise me. It's really sickening.

Documad 11-27-2013 11:08 PM

Apparently the company is in a super bowl ad contest?

abbott 11-28-2013 07:07 AM

Hate the game, not the player?

Granted My kids are not getting shit from this company.

Megalon X 11-28-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbott (Post 1811376)
Hate the game, not the player?

Is this what Brutus said about stabbing Caesar in the back?

I think a quote by PT Barnum is more appropriate here.

Kid Presentable 11-28-2013 08:27 AM

It's a really weird, interesting thing that's going on. Still sorta positive they pulled the clip.

Megalon X 11-28-2013 11:03 AM

I like the interpretation of this as a "millennial" thing. The absolute arrogance and self-importance combined with total cluelessness and see-through douchebaggery is very apparent. XD I wouldn't be surprised if this company was founded by active Tumblr users.

MCScoobyT 11-28-2013 11:22 AM

somebody needs to make a mash-up with the original 'Girls' song over the top of that commercial... or even better throw 'What Comes Around' on top of the vid :eek:

tt5brevisited 11-29-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stooges (Post 1811373)
Yes, but they knew the B-Boys stance on commercials. They figured there was a strong chance they'd be turned down. So their move was to put it out without asking. Then when the B-Boys contact them, they blow it up in the press with a lawsuit. Some underhanded shit, as they still get all the attention and press they wanted. I'm sure in their minds they were like "either way we can't lose".

A wolf in sheep's clothing. They pretend they're for these noble social causes, but in reality, all they care about is themselves and their business. The audacity of some people, it just never fails to surprise me. It's really sickening.

This!

Michelle*s_Farm 11-29-2013 06:04 AM

The company has lost out on my money and others who are fans of Beastie Boys. Did they pick up sales from this debacle? Perhaps, but the long-term harm to their reputation could outweigh a viral youtube smash hit video. We do not know if their sales increased initially and then dove-tailed (i.e., regression to the mean) after the 'con' was revealed to more prudent consumers. I can only hope. Your sales to liberal / alternative consumers must be hurt when the lead singer of Radiohead is 'against' you.

Micodin 11-29-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCScoobyT (Post 1811384)
somebody needs to make a mash-up with the original 'Girls' song over the top of that commercial... or even better throw 'What Comes Around' on top of the vid :eek:

If there is anyone on this board that knows how to make shitty mash-ups it's you homeboy. :rolleyes:

MCScoobyT 11-29-2013 04:17 PM

shitty mash-ups are my specialty ---> yourmamasbasementsyourhomeboy!

I just haven't got into video mash-ups yet... and shouldn't

How come Rube Goldberg's estate isn't pissed about this one?

Micodin 11-29-2013 05:17 PM

I concur.

YoungRemy 11-29-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCScoobyT (Post 1811414)

How come Rube Goldberg's estate isn't pissed about this one?

not sure of serious

it's a contraption!

JohnnyChavello 12-11-2013 01:01 PM

The hiatus is back off ... again. Beasties file a response and counterclaims to Goldieblox's declaratory judgment suit alleging copyright and trademark infringement, misappropriation of the right of publicity, and other claims.

Story and filing here.

Megalon X 12-11-2013 04:28 PM

Good for the Beasties. Thank god. I would have been upset if these hucksters were allowed to get away with this.