Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beastie Boys Music - New Hits LP (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100750)

Monsieur Decuts 09-03-2020 07:59 AM

Beastie Boys Music - New Hits LP

https://pitchfork.com/news/beastie-b...st-hits-album/

https://shopus.beastieboys.com/?utm_...-hits-album%2F

Seems to be another Solid Gold Hits / Anthology play.

I don't hate bringing their songs to the surface once a decade.
Hoping one day for a Deep Cuts collection release.

Wonder if there will be any treats with this one?

tjpop 09-03-2020 08:13 AM

Re: Beastie Boys Music - New Hits LP

What a missed opportunity, right?! Like the book and story it could have been things we have NOT seen/heard along with the popular stuff. That would have been exciting.
The good news is that I don't have to spend money on this thing. :D I am a huge fan and don't even want it. I get it this is for newbies only. Hopefully we will see a Coda type release one day for us diehards.

Taco Zip 09-03-2020 08:18 AM

The video says there will be a limited target exclusive color vinyl. It's not on the preorder website. Has anyone got more info on it?

cj hood 09-03-2020 08:26 AM

money grab

Micodin 09-03-2020 09:29 AM

yeah it’s a money grab but i’ll buy it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i dig the album art. appreciate they put the Brooklyn Dust Music logo but i wish the Grand Royal logo was on it as well.

i wish it was a double album.

i just preordered mine at Target. here’s the link

https://www.target.com/p/beastie-boy...36?AFID=UMUSIC

dave790 09-03-2020 09:46 AM

Meh. If they’re gonna do this sort of thing, do it right. Why not just put out a full singles collection over 2 discs?

Obviously no selection will please everyone but Don’t Play No Game should be nowhere near a 20-track release. And if it’s the Fatboy Slim remix of Body Movin’ again, even the coloured vinyl won’t be bought by me!

Good to at least see LTI getting its due. Sad to see TT5B still being shat on - cheers Horovitz!

Extra Cheese 09-03-2020 10:02 AM

Getting panned from all directions lol. They trying to fulfill contractual obligations or something lol? Fan base clamoring for unreleased vault stuff so the label decides instead to give us what we already have.

Maybe the vault stuff really sucks like Horovitz always seems to suggest

cj hood 09-03-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1823666)
Meh. If they’re gonna do this sort of thing, do it right. Why not just put out a full singles collection over 2 discs?

Obviously no selection will please everyone but Don’t Play No Game should be nowhere near a 20-track release. And if it’s the Fatboy Slim remix of Body Movin’ again, even the coloured vinyl won’t be bought by me!

Good to at least see LTI getting its due. Sad to see TT5B still being shat on - cheers Horovitz!

this will build into something bigger....

dust monkey 09-03-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1823668)
this will build into something bigger....

no inside info but this is exactly what i was thinking as i was reading the comments. i feel like this is just the start.

ClarenceAlabama 09-03-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave790 (Post 1823666)
Obviously no selection will please everyone but Don’t Play No Game should be nowhere near a 20-track release.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this. It's literally my least favorite song from their 30 year career. SMH. :confused:

Micodin 09-03-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarenceAlabama (Post 1823670)
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this. It's literally my least favorite song from their 30 year career. SMH. :confused:

have you heard TT5B yet lol? i kinda like the song. i’m not mad at it. it reminds me of something that would be on Hello Nasty and it’s kinda catchy.

cj hood 09-03-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust monkey (Post 1823669)
no inside info but this is exactly what i was thinking as i was reading the comments. i feel like this is just the start.

ya they're back...

pesto pizza 09-03-2020 12:20 PM

The vinyl tracklisting made sense why they picked those 20 songs.
The CD listing should of been in the same order, but added triple trouble and an open letter to new york

Uru-Nitro 09-03-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1823662)
money grab

It's fair to assume they want to sell records to the new listeners that may have discovered the band with the recent Book and the Story. I don't blame the label for that.

Me myself first bought Hello Nasty, then IC and then the Anthology, which made me want to buy all the rest of the albums.

I haven't bought SGH and if I ever buy this one it would be for the nice shirt, but I don't hate on those records. Unreleased material would be very appreciated though :D

balohna 09-03-2020 01:16 PM

The packaging is nice. Not sure if I care to buy it. SGH at least had a DVD with some videos that weren't on any other DVDs at the time. Back when that kind of thing mattered.

Kind of odd that TT5B only gets one song. It's not most people's favourite album, or mine, but Triple Trouble did okay back then. Probably deserves a spot on a "hits" record more than a bunch of other songs. And if this isn't meant to be a hits record it should probably dip into some of their hardcore stuff, instrumentals, etc. Gratitude isn't even on here. I'd probably include it over Jimmy James. But I guess it's a hard call to drop an actual hit or a hip-hop single and then include like... Sabrosa or Off The Grid.

tuc70021 09-03-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Cheese (Post 1823667)
Getting panned from all directions lol. They trying to fulfill contractual obligations or something lol? Fan base clamoring for unreleased vault stuff so the label decides instead to give us what we already have.

Maybe the vault stuff really sucks like Horovitz always seems to suggest

You're probably right that this has more to do with the label that the band, although that's just a guess. The label wants to make money, and Beastie Boys are no longer a band that can really produce a new album, so why not "cash in" on a new fan base?

It sucks, but business decisions are what labels care about. I mean, I'd love a deep cuts release too, but let's be real: the fan-base that would turn over $35 for a disk containing the original version of Intergalactic and a half hour of stoner jams from 1992 is probably 1% the size of the consumer base who will buy this compilation.

If it gets new fans to buy records, I'm all for it. Plus let's not be jaded everyone. Don't forget that we need to keep new fans purchasing records so that Adam can continue ordering Chinese food and watching judge shows for at least another 4 decades. It's the least we can do after all he's given us.

dust monkey 09-03-2020 04:40 PM

i'm good with money grab, wish i could grab some money this easy.

see link for colored vinyl, send to wife, ask her to use fancy target card, purchase, money given.

Extra Cheese 09-03-2020 05:40 PM

i was getting ready to post that this is no money grab cuz aint no one buying it. But SGH went gold so get that money i guess

YoungRemy 09-03-2020 08:33 PM

Purchasing that multi logo long sleeve shirt was the easier decision I made in a while

dave790 09-04-2020 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesto pizza (Post 1823673)
The vinyl tracklisting made sense why they picked those 20 songs.
The CD listing should of been in the same order, but added triple trouble and an open letter to new york

Yeah only just realised they’ve gone chronological for the vinyl but mixed it up for the cd/digital. Probably the most interesting thing about this compilation.

dust monkey 09-04-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungRemy (Post 1823679)
Purchasing that multi logo long sleeve shirt was the easier decision I made in a while

yea grabbing the FACT. X BEASTIE BOYS CASSETTES hoodie ($$$) at the book show was pretty much a no brainer. but i gotta tell you i've had more people comment on this than any other piece of clothing ever. not to mention how delightfully warm and comfy it is.

Monsieur Decuts 09-07-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1823672)
ya they're back...

Part of the reason I jumped in here to post this was in hope that you'd fire off a couple replies like the ones in this thread showing some hope for light to continue to shine on the boys. I have lowered expectations for knock me out type surprises, but love that they find ways to stay fresh and serve up the cool

cj hood 09-08-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsieur Decuts (Post 1823689)
Part of the reason I jumped in here to post this was in hope that you'd fire off a couple replies like the ones in this thread showing some hope for light to continue to shine on the boys. I have lowered expectations for knock me out type surprises, but love that they find ways to stay fresh and serve up the cool

The next release will be the one we've been waiting for....

Sir SkratchaLot 09-08-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj hood (Post 1823690)

Now you're talking.

FrozenMetalHead 09-16-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Could this be a release that happens before the end of the year?

cj hood 09-16-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead (Post 1823706)
Could this be a release that happens before the end of the year?

no

Jiberish 09-16-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1823671)
have you heard TT5B yet lol? i kinda like the song. i’m not mad at it. it reminds me of something that would be on Hello Nasty and it’s kinda catchy.

I'm with you. It's totally catchy. When HSCPII first came out I remember saying to myself that the album sounded to me like it could have been the "lost" album between IC & HN.

I don't get the hate for that song.

Monsieur Decuts 06-13-2022 03:47 PM

Quote:

anything brewing for us cj hood?

cj hood 06-14-2022 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsieur Decuts (Post 1824975)
anything brewing for us cj hood?

A lot was planned before the pandemic, but they suffer from short term memory....

bigfatlove06 07-08-2022 01:26 AM

Hey CJ. I don't expect you to do anything other than what you do. Meaning I have no expectations. I like reading your posts and speculating as to what they might or might not mean. I can't say that I have learned much, if anything, about what is to come from the Beastie camp from you. Most of what you post is cryptic and really only provides what amounts to me as a wish list. You do have a gift for throwing out extremely vague nuggets here and there that wind up being accurate. As long as you want to throw them out I will enjoy trying to figure out what they mean. The picture you paint as I see it is that you can't say much because you are in the know. I can only weigh that against the possibility that you don't know much and you are speculating. If you sum it all up, you don't break news. You specialize in teases, which may or may not come to pass. When they do, you get credit for vague insinuations. When they don't you retain credibility with generalizations like "before the pandemic".

I really do like you and your posts. If you know something, though, stop trying to drop clever hints to those who will seek to interpret them to mean something as opposed to just telling us what you know. I haven't learned shit from you other than you guess right a fair bit. Sorry if it is an unearned criticism, but it is a genuine perspective.