Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bonnaroo YouTube (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100753)

balohna 09-29-2020 08:47 AM

Re: Bonnaroo YouTube

Quote:

Originally Posted by brmanuk (Post 1823797)

Thanks, grabbed! Great to have a copy in case this never pops up ever again. But I'll buy it if they sell it at some point.

Micodin 09-29-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brmanuk (Post 1823797)

good looks! thank you.

bigdan2276 09-30-2020 09:02 AM

Curious... what's the "Sabotage" edit during the 2009 Bonnaroo show I keep reading about?

Jiberish 09-30-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdan2276 (Post 1823806)
Curious... what's the "Sabotage" edit during the 2009 Bonnaroo show I keep reading about?

I haven't watched the original version in about a decade, but during Yauch's bass solo, he messes up, and then Mike can't figure out when to come back in with the drums and the whole band grinds to a halt.

They pick it back up, and I think Ad-rock might mess up the vox, so they start it again.

It's a pretty glorious mess! And you can almost not tell by the way it's edited. They did a pretty good job cleaning it up, but you can till see Mke & Yauch looking at eachother like "eeeeeshhh"

and AdRock talks some smack about how "there are no backing loops up here. no iPods. just live musicians."

bigdan2276 09-30-2020 11:42 AM

Explaination is much appreciated! Thank you

Jiberish 09-30-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdan2276 (Post 1823808)
Explaination is much appreciated! Thank you

No problemo! It's worth looking up though.

peterclamp 10-01-2020 03:47 AM

I loved every moment of this concert. Sound quality was awesome too, luckily I managed to grab a copy which I've watched again and again!

I hope they eventually release this on Blu Ray, maybe as a double disc along with Beastie Boys Story, I'd happily pay good money for it!

3MTA3 10-01-2020 11:48 AM

I have a good quality mp4 rip of the video and a 320kbps mp3 if anyone wants/needs? And I was trying to chop up the full length mp3 into individual tracks, but the program I was using sucks. Anyone either willing to cut it up with whatever better software you have or can you recommend a good working free program I can use?

Kid Presentable 10-02-2020 06:13 PM

I really hope against hope that this gets a vinyl release.

Is there even a remote chance the artists sampled could get on board if, say, all proceeds went to charity?

Bah.

WesleyOHSnaps! 10-02-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Presentable (Post 1823815)
I really hope against hope that this gets a vinyl release.

Is there even a remote chance the artists sampled could get on board if, say, all proceeds went to charity?

Bah.

Do they need clearance when it’s live? I always live recordings had different rules

Micodin 10-02-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! (Post 1823816)
Do they need clearance when it’s live? I always live recordings had different rules

if they are selling the live recording, yeah they have to clear the samples.

Uru-Nitro 10-03-2020 05:56 AM

I'm not DJ expert, but they probably need permission just to play de samples in the live shows. I don't know the agreements MMM or BB have to make to play another people's beats in live shows, but I guess that same agreement settles what you can and can't do, like recording and later distribute the concert.

I mean, they sold AIFST, why not another shows?

Kid Presentable 10-03-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uru-Nitro (Post 1823818)
I'm not DJ expert, but they probably need permission just to play de samples in the live shows. I don't know the agreements MMM or BB have to make to play another people's beats in live shows, but I guess that same agreement settles what you can and can't do, like recording and later distribute the concert.

They made some changes to AIFST. Hendrix samples, Pass that Dutch, the Apache break (or whatever it is on Root Down).

The long bow I’m drawing for this show is a deal along the lines of ‘hey, this band is no longer a going concern, cut us some slack’ but I realise it doesn’t work like that.

Micodin 10-03-2020 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uru-Nitro (Post 1823818)

they DON'T have to pay if they are using someone's beat or sample at a live show. it's the same loophole that DJ's have when DJ'ing other artists music at live events. rappers have been rapping over other artists beats at live shows since the dawn of hip-hop.

they DO have to pay if they are selling that live recording that contains other artists beats or samples.

Sir SkratchaLot 10-03-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1823820)
they DON'T have to pay if they are using someone's beat or sample at a live show. it's the same loophole that DJ's have when DJ'ing other artists music at live events. rappers have been rapping over other artists beats at live shows since the dawn of hip-hop.

they DO have to pay if they are selling that live recording that contains other artists beats or samples.

That's the right answer. There are royalties for playing other people's music in public but they are very small and typically paid by the venue.

balohna 10-05-2020 11:52 PM

I watched AIFST recently and they definitely listed all the samples used for the live versions during the credits.

tt5brevisited 10-06-2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdan2276 (Post 1823806)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH7b3LHdV-A

tuc70021 10-06-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt5brevisited (Post 1823826)

Thanks for posting - I'd never seen that.

I saw them just after The Mix Up came out and MCA biffed the opening of Triple Trouble twice, but the second time they just rolled with it. Makes the set just that more memorable.

Watching live hip-hop, especially Beastie Boys, gave me so much more respect for tour DJs. Maybe it's easier nowadays, but when rappers would blow their lines, come in late, come in early, etc., the DJ had to figure out how to draw a break out/cut it short, maybe had to scratch on one side while rewinding on the other, etc.

Jiberish 10-06-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt5brevisited (Post 1823826)

Mannnnnn, it's not as disastrous as I recalled. And it makes me appreciate what Mario C did to weave it back together. All that said, I would still have prefered them leave it alone, but w/ a better mix. Oh well.