Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Adrock looking to rename park 'Adam Yauch Park' (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=98196)

austinstories 05-22-2012 01:41 PM

Adrock looking to rename park 'Adam Yauch Park'

Just read this from Kathleen Hanna on a Facebook page for naming another park after Yauch (Squibb Park in Brooklyn Heights)

"I tried to write this before but it looks like it didn't work. I just wanted to let you know that Adam "Adrock" Horovitz has already begun working with the Parks Commissioner to fix up and rename State Street Park where Yauch actually played as a kid to 'Adam Yauch Park'. It would be great to get people behind THIS idea as it won't hurt the Squib family and it would be awesome to fix up the bball court there as a tribute....Thanks, Kathleen Hanna (Adrock's wife)"

Swooziemoonshoe 05-22-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Adrock looking to rename park 'Adam Yauch Park'

That would be cool. Could you link to the page?

M|X|Y 05-22-2012 01:52 PM

word... nice (y)

adam and kathleen: the squib thing got written up today... someone should get the new idea to them

http://gothamist.com/2012/05/22/resi...oklyn_park.php

Randetica 05-22-2012 01:57 PM

sweeet

JoLovesMCA 05-22-2012 02:00 PM

Holy Shit so it's official. I mean with Adrock involved. WOW i just thought it was fans wanting this. I am gonna cry now!

Adrock has such a wonderful heart!

Laver1969 05-22-2012 03:14 PM

Awesome!

frank1271 05-22-2012 03:32 PM

i hope this gets done by aug cause ive made plans to go up to the city and would love nothing more then to go there and play some hoops.

JoLovesMCA 05-22-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank1271 (Post 1789470)
i hope this gets done by aug cause ive made plans to go up to the city and would love nothing more then to go there and play some hoops.

Would be cool if it were done by the time we have the fan gathering. I say we should still put this place on our list of Beastie spots to visit though!

WesleyOHSnaps! 05-22-2012 03:59 PM

This is so great! Way to go Adam and Kathleen.

I'm starting to worry more about Mike. He's become recluse.

b-grrrlie 05-22-2012 04:03 PM

Totally awesome!

KingPsyz 05-22-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA (Post 1789471)
Would be cool if it were done by the time we have the fan gathering. I say we should still put this place on our list of Beastie spots to visit though!

Hell, this goes through y'all should orginize it there...

Randetica 05-22-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! (Post 1789472)

yeah, hope he is not doing too bad
we are feeling with you, mike

frank1271 05-22-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA (Post 1789471)

are you going up to

JoLovesMCA 05-22-2012 05:02 PM

@KingPsyz Right! Well whatever Jason decides but either way it is going to be a special place for Beastie fans. ;)

Frank, yes i am going.

Mike D might be handling his grieving differently. I hope he is ok too.

YoungRemy 05-22-2012 05:03 PM

so it's State Street now instead of Squibb?

it looks like the entire community of Brooklyn Heights is angling for one while Adam H and Parks and Rec are working on another.

JoLovesMCA 05-22-2012 05:15 PM

Ok I am confused. Are there two parks?

New YAUCHERS help!??

YoungRemy 05-22-2012 05:35 PM

yes. two parks. Kathleen is trying to get people on board Adam's plan instead of the Brooklyn Heights community organizers.

both are good intentions, but it looks like Adam H is working directly with the city while the Squibb is just an idea/petition.

but folks like Cey Adams are sharing the Squibb updates and it looks like Kathleen is trying to clear the air.

that's what it looks like to me.

more info here, where Brooklyn Heights blog supports either idea.

JDsGotSalinger 05-22-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinstories (Post 1789458)
Just read this from Kathleen Hanna on a Facebook page for naming another park after Yauch (Squibb Park in Brooklyn Heights)

"I tried to write this before but it looks like it didn't work. I just wanted to let you know that Adam "Adrock" Horovitz has already begun working with the Parks Commissioner to fix up and rename State Street Park where Yauch actually played as a kid to 'Adam Yauch Park'. It would be great to get people behind THIS idea as it won't hurt the Squib family and it would be awesome to fix up the bball court there as a tribute....Thanks, Kathleen Hanna (Adrock's wife)"

awesome -- looks like they are talking about "palmetto playground" near the end of state street at columbia street -- not named after any historic figures or people.

Kid Presentable 05-22-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! (Post 1789472)
This is so great! Way to go Adam and Kathleen.

He's always been private. Just because he's not out and about doesn't mean he's not dealing. He'll be fine, and obviously we can only wish him the best during this time.

JoLovesMCA 05-22-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsGotSalinger (Post 1789485)
awesome -- -- not named after any historic figures or people.

Well now it will be! ;)

Oh so I don't know what to do about the Squibb thing, seems like they are still going ahead with their plan... Hmmm kinda like a sticky situation now. Of course I will back up what Adrock is doing. he'll make it happen!

YoungRemy 05-22-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA (Post 1789487)
Well now it will be! ;)

Oh so I don't know what to do about the Squibb thing, seems like they are still going ahead with their plan... Hmmm kinda like a sticky situation now. Of course I will back up what Adrock is doing. he'll make it happen!

their effort is just a grassroots blog campaign/petetition/facebook page

their response to the new update:
Quote:

Thanks for covering this story. Ms. Hanna has reached out to us and we are awaiting official confirmation of this effort. Once that's done, the Brooklyn Heights Blog community will enthusiastically suppor the State Street initiative.

In the meantime, please keep "liking" the Facebook page as well as supporting the movement

JoLovesMCA 05-22-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungRemy (Post 1789488)
their effort is just a grassroots blog campaign/petetition/facebook page

their response to the new update:

Did you hear that? Ms. Hanna has reached out to us. She's such a huge part of this. Seriously I am such a big fan of her's too....so forgive me but I get giddy over anything she does the way I do the Beasties. ;)

Anyway thanks for the updates on that, so now we'll just wait for what Horovitz/Hanna are going to announce which is pretty exciting. (y)

CoolAsACucumber 05-22-2012 07:56 PM

I am heading to the City this weekend. On top of 57 Chrystie, Oscilloscope Labs, and Edward R. Murrow High School, I might have to swing by the future Adam Yauch Park!!

Documad 05-22-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungRemy (Post 1789483)

more info here, where Brooklyn Heights blog supports either idea.

Off topic, but there's a great link to the MTV sports show with Beasties at the bottom of that page. <3

P.S. I'm with Adrock and Kathleen. I'd vote for the park where he actually played.

PortlandBGirl 05-22-2012 08:57 PM

So cool! I also agree with Ad Rock and Kathleen, it would be cool if it could be a park he used to play at as a child.

CHECKHEAD2004 05-22-2012 10:01 PM

Awesome. Im so happy. He so deserves a park to be named after him and bball was his favorite.

Yauch Park... Love it.

Hope its done and dedicated on his Birthday!!!!!!!! Woud be so great to be there for the dedication.

Mike D is in LA... Out of reach. Adrock was closer to Adam these past few years. Im so happy he is doing this with Kathleen.

MCAadROCKMiKEd7 05-22-2012 11:13 PM

:'(
Thats beautiful.

I really hope it works
Makes me even more sad I wont be able to see it.
I want to go to NY so badly, Im completely restricted from it.
I'm devastated completely that i'll never make it out there, truly 100% crushed by it. It bothers me every day.

I REALLY hope this works out, it would make me SO happy.
Adam and Kathleen are meant for each other (:

birdfloatindown 05-22-2012 11:22 PM

I love this idea. It's so great that people are doing all these positive, constructive things in Yauch's memory. The sign for the park should be in a fisheye-style.:D

FLO MASTER 05-23-2012 03:23 AM

channel 11 aired this story this morning! they love the beasties, mca used to go on the station all the time.

Bernard Goetz 05-23-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCAadROCKMiKEd7 (Post 1789520)
:'(
Makes me even more sad I wont be able to see it.
I want to go to NY so badly, Im completely restricted from it.
I'm devastated completely that i'll never make it out there, truly 100% crushed by it. It bothers me every day.

Never say never.