Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rick Rubin's verified "Genius" annotations for Beastie Boys (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100001)

Michelle*s_Farm 02-03-2015 04:56 AM

Rick Rubin's verified "Genius" annotations for Beastie Boys

"I feel like it was Yauch’s idea to turn the tape over."

Rick Rubin has been annotating Beastie Boys' tracks on Genius. Worth checking out below:

Link

brooklyndust 02-03-2015 01:51 PM

Re: Rick Rubin's verified "Genius" annotations for Beastie Boys

Nice! Never knew Drum Machine was a cover.

Also, didn't know he produced: "you don't know how it feels" by Tom Petty

Rubin's body of work continues to amaze me.

Brass Monk 02-03-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1816446)
Nice! Never knew Drum Machine was a cover.

Also, didn't know he produced: "you don't know how it feels" by Tom Petty

Rubin's body of work continues to amaze me.

I'm a little skeptical about how much he contributed to the tom petty track as well as the production credit he gets for a lot of the rock acts he's supposedly produced

brooklyndust 02-03-2015 03:43 PM

How so? The only group I read about that were not happy was Slipknot. They said they felt ripped off because he just came in for a few hours and laid on a couch.

But he had a big influence on Cash, Chilli Peppers and I would suspect Danzig and Slayer liked him because they worked with him repeatedly.

Sir SkratchaLot 02-03-2015 05:01 PM

As I understand LTI, Rubin had lots of input (even though the Beastie's own input was drastically understated). I can't remember where I read it but they were talking about putting together Fight For Your Right being kind of like "meh" and then Rick coming back with those crazy hard drums! If all that's true the man is a beast. Hip hop is all about drums. I can easily see him having a lot of positive input applying that to rock. The guy has been in the biz for many years and is well respected. I'm pretty sure he's the real deal.

Brass Monk 02-04-2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndust (Post 1816449)
How so? The only group I read about that were not happy was Slipknot. They said they felt ripped off because he just came in for a few hours and laid on a couch.

The black crows come to mind. They said he claimed production credit when he did absolutely nothing. Metallica liked working with him but they also indicated that his input was limited.
I'm not bashing Rubin , I think he's great, especially in hip hop.
But some of his credits are indeed questionable

KENNY GUIDO 02-04-2015 02:15 PM

They said fight for your right was written in 5 minutes on a napkin in a club. Any who fuck rick Rubin.

Bernard Goetz 02-04-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

I remember Mike D calling me while I was in the studio with the Cult and asking why the Beasties record wasn’t done.
There's my entire 1980s right there.