Beastie Boys Message Board

Beastie Boys Message Board (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/index.php)
-   General Beastie Boys Discussion (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electrify (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100878)

WesleyOHSnaps! 03-24-2022 07:44 PM

Electrify

Does anyone know if they every played Electrify live? It’s such a good song and I’m sure it be fun live.

Micodin 03-24-2022 08:37 PM

Re: Electrify

great tune that i’ve never skipped on. i don’t think it has.

“Back track through the minutes when the thoughts went insane
I pulled the picture off the cover and blew out the mind games”

Bradleystp 03-25-2022 06:15 AM

This and Unite were songs I slept on for a long time from Hello Nasty. Now they are some of my favorites.

Sir SkratchaLot 03-25-2022 09:22 AM

I think I read somewhere that they never played it live. The experts will know.

Definitely one of may favorites from Hello Nasty. The beat is dope with all those crazy sounds and panning. Plus trade-off rhymes and none of the "sing songy" rhyme styles that showed up on other cuts on that record. The only thing is I think they should have had Mix Master Mike do scratches on that one.

Shame in Your Game was the other one from Hello Nasty I really liked.

Micodin 03-25-2022 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot (Post 1824793)
The only thing is I think they should have had Mix Master Mike do scratches on that one.

Shame in Your Game was the other one from Hello Nasty I really liked.

agreed on both! i think Shame in Your Game is a deep cut and i would of loved a video for it. it’s possibly my favorite rap beat on the album possibly tied with Super Disco Breakin’.

Brother McDuff 03-26-2022 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1824795)
agreed on both! i think Shame in Your Game is a deep cut and i would of loved a video for it. it’s possibly my favorite rap beat on the album possibly tied with Super Disco Breakin’.

(y)

Shame In Your Game is a titan. Grasshopper Unit another underrated HN adventure, imo. (y)

Kid Presentable 03-27-2022 06:44 AM

Grasshopper with the OG Furious Five sample is GOAT tier.

Sir SkratchaLot 03-27-2022 06:58 AM

This thread is poppin'! (lb)(lb)(lb)

Micodin 03-27-2022 12:21 PM

Can't, Won't And Don't Stop vs Grasshopper Unit

which one y’all prefer? i’ve always been partial to Can’t Won’t

Sir SkratchaLot 03-27-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micodin (Post 1824801)
Can't, Won't And Don't Stop vs Grasshopper Unit

which one y’all prefer? i’ve always been partial to Can’t Won’t

Me too. Also like to listen to the original version of 3 MCs and 1 DJ.

Jiberish 03-29-2022 08:59 AM

Oh man, I love this thread! I've grown to love ALL of Hello Nasty in all of its weirdness, but I def used to make copies of Hello Nasty/ only hiphop on it. At the time I thought it was their best beat record.

Electrify and No Shame are my favorite songs off that record. The Prunes remix of Shame in Your Game is amazing, but it doesn't even touch the Bboys beat.

dust monkey 03-30-2022 11:41 AM

electrify always reminded me of zeppelin's kashmir

side 2 HN def has some bangers, and some duds

Brother McDuff 03-30-2022 02:08 PM

I still champion UNITE as the most underrated bboys cut of all time.

dust monkey 03-30-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother McDuff (Post 1824807)
I still champion UNITE as the most underrated bboys cut of all time.

the 808 hit near middle/end is one of the deepest i've ever heard.

bigdan2276 03-31-2022 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! (Post 1824790)
Does anyone know if they every played Electrify live? It’s such a good song and I’m sure it be fun live.

To answer the original question, as far as Beastiemania is concerned, "Electrify" has NOT ever been played live, even though the instrumental for it can be found on the "Hello Nasty" show vinyl. Strange... it's like the boys planned for it, but didn't perform the song for some reason.

paulb 04-01-2022 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust monkey (Post 1824808)
the 808 hit near middle/end is one of the deepest i've ever heard.

Ya, its different. My Logitech speakers and subwoofer notice it. Damn, love it! Unite is special!

fonky pizza 04-01-2022 08:40 AM

I love Hello Nasty, it's so psychedelic futuristic 98 space trip, it's the sergent Pepper of the beasties, fullfilled with layers and layers of sounds, you can really go deep into dimensions and i's a whole concept all songs go well with the others.
My favourite album with paul's boutique
I am hypnotized by it :)(y)

WesleyOHSnaps! 04-01-2022 08:43 AM

I’m glad this turned into a Unite appreciation thread. That song also deserves love.

Bradleystp 04-05-2022 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust monkey (Post 1824806)
electrify always reminded me of zeppelin's kashmir

side 2 HN def has some bangers, and some duds

Yeah, unfortunately the 2nd half of the album suffers in my opinion due to a couple songs that should have been B-sides. That is why I slept on Unite and Electrify for so long. I just had in my head that the last 1/3 of the album was a drag for a long time.

balohna 04-21-2022 04:38 AM

What’s this song about anyway? Has some great lines but I have no idea what any of it is referring to. It feels like political commentary of some kind? Or is it more about their career and people who doubted them? Reading the lyrics again now it almost feels like a Yauch solo song lyrically.

brooklyndust 04-23-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonky pizza (Post 1824812)
I love Hello Nasty, it's so psychedelic futuristic 98 space trip, it's the sergent Pepper of the beasties, fullfilled with layers and layers of sounds, you can really go deep into dimensions and i's a whole concept all songs go well with the others.
My favourite album with paul's boutique
I am hypnotized by it :)(y)

Although a lot of people like to call Paul's Boutique the Sgt. Peppers of Hip-Hop, I think Hello Nasty is just as rich.

I always thought Hello Nasty was their best album, so it was great to hear Ad-Rock echo that in the book years later.

Recently, I have made some updates to my sound system, trying to get into the more audiophile aspect of record collecting. Hello Nasty is one of the most diverse and sonically pleasing albums. Great album to audition your equipment with.

You are constantly rewarded with repeat listens, I discover new sounds and elements with each listen. Negotiation Limerick File is one of my go-to songs, so much going on in the background.

fonky pizza 04-23-2022 01:31 PM

Yes the audition of both albums is dope especially on headphones!
Sergent Pepper to me means a rich deep layerd record timeless full of connections and different points of view.

tjpop 05-07-2022 08:13 AM

one of the best openers of songs.