Thread: being single
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Battletoad

Default Re: being single

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastieangel01 View Post
so
those of you with more experience and those that are older, I suppose...

do you think it's important to be single at a young age?

I ask because sometimes, I think about the fact that I haven't been single longer than 5 months since I was 16. Now I'm 23. And I'm not sure how healthy that is.
Okay, here's my two cents.

I've been single 99% of my life up to this point. I know some of you might be thinking 'yeah, big surprise' but it's mostly by choice, save for a couple times I have been shot down. Truth is that for some people, careers and life goals come first over romance. I personally place my career and my educational future first, which works for me. This doesn't mean that I don't have fun now and again, I do, but I've learned to deal with things independantly and without emotional support of a significant other. I look at some of my friends who have been dating the same person for 3-6 years or been dating someone seriously over a string of 3-6 years and they just don't have the same kind of independance and the same kind of inner strength that people who have been on their own have.

On the other side of the coin, people who remain single for long periods of time don't know how to deal with relationships well. I mean, eventually they may but for the most part they lack good skills in the field of romance.

So, when it comes to answering your question, it all depends on the individual and what they want. If someone wants the experience of romantic relationships in young adulthood, they should strive to achieve it. There's nothing wrong with it and it offers a chance to grow emotionally. If someone wants to remain single and deal with personal issues and experience life without relying on anyone for support, they should also give it a try.

There's pros and cons to both and it all comes down to what an individual wants.