Thread: lawyer question
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
drifter

Default lawyer question

what rights do psychiatric patients/their families have when it comes to the choices made regarding medications and/or the right to refuse treatment, or even just specific treatments.

are you not allowed to refuse the usage of certain drugs when under the care of hospitals
or are all bets off once you cross that threshold?

I know it relates to voluntary/involuntary admission, but it seems like that line can be so easily blurred.

Im just super fucking pissed off right now because I dont know the ins and out of peoples right to refuse treatment when it comes to psychiatrics, and everything I find online seems to run circles
and I hate being confused. argh!

when it comes to straight forward medical treatment it seems that these rights are pretty clear cut, but when its a mental illness I dont get who gave the doctor and medical staff the right to control all decisions. cause that hows its come across to me.

and when it comes to identifying a substitute decision-maker wouldnt this just automatically become the person's next of kin, especially if they are so heavily sedated that they are not actually capable of making such decisions
I hate that they use the mental illness as an excuse to disregard any patient requests. It should be purely based upon the individual and their situation.

any info the lawyer-types here, or experiences anyone else can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I goddamn hate psychiatrists, dont even debate upon the fact Im just as smart as you motherfucker.

Next stop, home ownership! I’m just kidding, the middle class is dying. You’ll be renting forever.