View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 AM
feeder

Default Re: 2008 Resolutions Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmonlee View Post

so its like a list of stuff you may or may not achieve and may or may not begin around january 1?
Sure, why not? You seem to feel that in order for the process to be meaningful, it has to be decisive and unchanging, and that it's about a timeframe and an outcome. I don't see it that way - for me, the value is in the process. Setting the goals, identifying the behaviours that would lead to the desired outcome, and assessing along the way to see how it's going, if there needs to be any modification.

You are of course correct in saying that the 'starting line' need not be 1 Jan; it is only one possibility but it isn't an entirely arbitrary choice either, certainly not for those of us in the grip of winter when it comes along. Hey if it doesn't suit you, then, you know, that's cool, you do what you like; I know people who make their New Year's resolutions to coincide with their birthdays, which certainly makes sense as well as far as markers and milestones go. But just because the concept of a 1 Jan resolution doesn't work for you personally, doesn't mean it's not a valid choice for others.