View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 AM
WACK! JACKED! BACK! RIDE!

Default Re: Beasties on Jimmy Fallon May 25th

I had mixed feelings when I found out that the Beastie Boys would be guest-guests, as opposed to musical guests on Late Night. But then they sent out the e-mail blast teasing us of all the exclusive news they'd be dropping, so I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't very curious (and excited).

Since they already announced the title (Hot Sauce Committee) of their new album in said e-mail, I thought the Beasties would be divulging at least a handful of tidbits about it. Yes, they don’t give serious interviews, but sometimes they give clues.

I was disappointed that the Beastie Boys got stuck on the we-recorded-this-album-on-a-water-vessel spiel. Since Jimmy Fallon is a big fan, he should have noticed that this was their b.s. answer from the Hello Nasty recording sessions (we’re still waiting for that submarine album).

Interview-wise, we didn’t find out anything new except a release month for Hot Sauce Committee (September), but it was a special treat to hear a surprise performance of “So What’cha Want?” with The Roots on live instruments. Since they are the unofficial house band of hip-hop it made perfectly good sense for them to finally lay down a jam with the Beastie Boys.

Loved the stop-downs, especially MCA’s. I wasn’t disappointed in the song choice either, since this track is the only Beastie song (I’m pretty sure) that mentions the word “hot sauce.”

Can’t hate on Fallon for letting the Beasties take control of the interview, cause let’s face it, if they weren’t making music for a living each of them could host their own late night show (and it would be a lot better than Late Night's been recently).