View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Mamma Mia: the movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
I read a funny review that brought up a good point. meryl streep is 59, and her movie daughter is 20...but when they do flash backs with the men who might be her father, they're hippies/70's looking. but 20 years ago it was 1988 and meryl streep (who was supposed to be all wild and slutty at the time) would've been 39...?
I can't tell you how much that bothered me. The summer when she got pregnant was the summer of love (1968) but Colin Firth was into the Sex Pistols. The most reasonable explanation is that the movie is set in the 80s and you just have to forget the punk stuff. But you can't get past the fact that Meryl Streep was almost 40 when she had her girly summer fling. And if you take your cues from the songs and dialogue, she was an irresponsible young gal. So Meryl has to be playing someone 20 years younger than her actual age. And we're supposed to buy that, even though the hair and makeup is designed to make her look both old and girly. So I got flashes of What Ever Happened To Baby Jane.

That movie is on cable all the time. It stalks me. Every time I'm doing laundry or washing dishes it pops on and I accidentally see parts of it. It's so awful and I can't escape it.