View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Republican Presidential Candidates 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
The view from over in the UK is quite strange. The Republican party seems to be putting forward a succession of quite stupid people forward as presidential candidates, what the hell is going on? Is it possible that one of these people could be president of the US? That is terrifying.

Is there a credible conservative candidate running? If there is, they are not making the news over here (could easily be our media just reporting on the Trumps, Bachmanns, Perrys etc for their comedic value). Like the character Alan Alda played in the West Wing, someone like that - I could vote for that!
I have a friend in Asia (based in Hong Kong) who says the same thing - the Republicans are succeeding in finding a group of laughable candidates to put together.

George Will (conservative journalist) criticized the whole process on last week's This Week. He said Republicans and Democrats need a new nominating process that promotes real candidates and eschews book tours.

The "credible" candidates I know are Rick Santorum, former U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania. On the same This Week, he constantly referenced his "credible conservative record." There's Jon Huntsman, who is anathema because he took a job, Ambassador to China, offered by President Obama. Even Republican pollsters and strategists know Gingrich will be along the wayside once the microscope is on him long enough. Ron Paul will do well in Iowa - he's the only candidate with a backbone. Romney is the common-sense candidate, but who knows what voters in early states will do.