Thread: Thank You MCA
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Thank You MCA

Thanks for the reply. I have so many memories, many tied to shows in the summer of 2007 as well. I was in Brooklyn for the only Brooklyn show, and was also in Paris. One of my friends was in Paris with me and only wanted to go to one of the shows, so I was solo at the Gala show. I got a spot in a front corner and still think Yauch made eye contact and smiled at me. I was in the same spot at both shows, so I always pretended that he remembered me -- but no matter what I was a part of a community that was there for the music and understood that sounds and lyrics mean something.

I could have met them that second night in Paris. I was walking back to the metro and saw people waiting by a door -- which was the backstage door. A woman walked out of the door and it was Kathleen Hanna. I'm also a fan of hers. We talked for a few minutes about NY, their dog, travel. Another person came up and asked her if she knew the Beastie Boys. Kathleen and I shared a glance (she knew I knew her) and I said "this is a famous musician from the US." The woman walked away disappointed. I took the opportunity to ask if they wanted to meet fans and basically said they were always happy to be gracious but were really tired and hungry. I asked her if she would mention how much the shows meant to a fan from the US and said goodnight. She hugged me and agreed.

Yesterday and today I realized that was the only time I could have met Yauch. But I loved my Beastie Boys summer of 2007.

Thanks to all of you for indulging my memories.