View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm back.

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises

I read a negative online review for Batman Begins one time that was complaining about the things in the Begins that were changed back to the original origin that Burton's had changed. (The big one being Joker killing his parents instead of Joe Chill). I understand that when people saw the '89 Batman this was the first time they really saw Batman and based their feelings of the character based on it.
It totally imprinted this incorrect feeling of what Batman should and shouldn't be just like the 60s TV show did before it.

I totally understand the cultural significance of the movie; it was a watershed moment in film history, but a lot of people thought it was a picture perfect representation of Batman but it really wasn't.

He made Batman an overly brooding shallow boring character. Burton is too much of a "kooky artist" to give a crap about things like motivations of characters and arcs. At least Nolan has interjected the reasons why a person would make the sacrifices that Bruce Wayne has, instead of just casting Beetlejuice, putting him in a black costume so he can just get shot in the chest and scare people. (He seriously didn't know what to do with Batman, that moment happens 3 times in the movie).
Where is the brilliant detective? One of Batman's greatest assets is his mind.

He had all these years of comics to borrow story from and he was more interested in design and texture that there is barely a story there.