View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Peace & Love

Default Re: Earth may be near tipping point

I am going to remember this summer as the summer corporate America goes ahead and just outright tries to buy the Presidential race.

plus this - Koch-funded climate change skeptic reverses course

I am also going to remember it as pretty much "The Reckoning" on Global Warming.

The Conversion of a Climate-Change Skeptic

What frightens me the most is nobody gives a shit. A shitty death on a planet with maniacal assholes in charge seems to be alright with many. That is how jaded billions of people are.

Are our we really that naive?

Demand accountability with politicians, industry and your current government. I'm asking all of them all the time "When are you going to get responsible"?

Below findings from former skeptic, Richard A. Muller

The careful analysis by our team is laid out in five scientific papers now online at BerkeleyEarth.org. That site also shows our chart of temperature from 1753 to the present, with its clear fingerprint of volcanoes and carbon dioxide, but containing no component that matches solar activity. Four of our papers have undergone extensive scrutiny by the scientific community, and the newest, a paper with the analysis of the human component, is now posted, along with the data and computer programs used. Such transparency is the heart of the scientific method; if you find our conclusions implausible, tell us of any errors of data or analysis.

What about the future? As carbon dioxide emissions increase, the temperature should continue to rise. I expect the rate of warming to proceed at a steady pace, about one and a half degrees over land in the next 50 years, less if the oceans are included. But if China continues its rapid economic growth (it has averaged 10 percent per year over the last 20 years) and its vast use of coal (it typically adds one new gigawatt per month), then that same warming could take place in less than 20 years.

Science is that narrow realm of knowledge that, in principle, is universally accepted. I embarked on this analysis to answer questions that, to my mind, had not been answered. I hope that the Berkeley Earth analysis will help settle the scientific debate regarding global warming and its human causes. Then comes the difficult part: agreeing across the political and diplomatic spectrum about what can and should be done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKLqVCz8SA
I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]