Thread: Breaking Bad
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 AM
good reactions, etc?

Default Re: Breaking Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
And also, Breaking Bad lost me on the bathtub being eaten away by acid scene...that just simply never would've happened. Just a terrible idea, never would've happened. Wouldn't have even been possible to clean. No fumes...and, the acid eats through a floor but not a flimsy plastic tub? Please.
see, this is frustrating to me, because i don't think it's a good reason to dismiss the show.

if breaking bad were a chemistry documentary, i'd say "sure, it's a bad show, it gets a lot of the science wrong and you shouldn't watch it" but it's not. the science isn't important, it isn't about the science, it's about the characters and their relationship with each other.

the hydrofluoric acid scene isn't supposed to be interesting because of the science facts it teaches you about chemistry, it's supposed to be interesting because of the things it teaches you about the characters. it shows how walt likes to take control of situations, and how jesse's hasty, lazy, and dismissive, and how he chooses to ignore walt's careful instructions and just dumps him in the bathtub. then we see the consequences of that choice, and how the characters grow as a result.

maybe the chemistry's wrong. who cares. it's a drama, not a documentary. i know art is open to interpretation and whatever but just...rggg, dismissing it because of scientific inaccuracies is almost definitely the wrong way to watch it, that bugs the hell out of me

if you dislike it because you don't think the characters behave realistically, and that takes you out of it, then that's fine; i would respectfully disagree with you on that point but respect your opinion about it all the same.

but the science, the science isn't important, it isn't the point, i would urge you not to worry about that or let it get in the way of your potential enjoyment of a fictional show

if i can have a law degree and still enjoy law & order SVU then there's no reason you can't suspend your disbelief for breaking bad