View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM
doubts your commitment

Default Re: What to do in LA?

I swear there was a thread like this that I replied to not long ago but I can't find it now, argh!

Downtown: The Edison early in the evening for a delightful cocktail and burlesque (dress nicely, they do not fuck around with the dress code). Bar 107 for a good dive, Cole's/Varnish for fancy Manhattans/Old-Fashioneds.

West Hollywood: Cinefamily for independent movies. El Carmen for literally hundreds of fancy tequilas in a rad luchador setting.

Silver Lake/Echo Park: this is the coolest neighborhood. everyone admits they're hipsters and we're all cool with that. Mohawk Bend is great for food and drinks. Get a reservation if it's going to be on a Friday at 8 or whatever, otherwise it's usually not bad. The beer selection is great, as are the cocktails. The kitchen is open kinda late too. Brite Spot is open even later and is great for peoplewatching, especially bands coming back from shows at either the Echo or the Echoplex - great venues that you can always see amazing shows at. I'm partial to Funky Sole at the Echo. funk dancing every saturday night . Intelligentsia is the fancy snobby coffee place and pretty much that whole area of Sunset Junction is worth walking around. Great gelato at Pazzo across the street. I also really love the Thirsty Crow for their namesake drink. Not quite Silver Lake but you should definitely check out UCB LA for at least one show.

As far as the West Side, Santa Monica is fun-ish, lots of great food around there. Touristy sure, but still fun to walk around. Venice is kind of gross but as a visitor you kinda have to see it. I really like the actual beach - most people just go along the boardwalk, so the beach at Venice is rarely that crowded. Malibu is really beautiful to drive around and park and sit on the beach for a bit.

Museum-wise, MOCA is worth checking out, LACMA and the surrounding tarpits are great. The Huntington Library and Gardens are beautiful if you're academically and/or botanically inclined.

Olvera Street is fun to visit on a weekend. Lots of crappy little vendors and decent restaurants and local color.

Nobody takes the bus. Sometimes people take the subway. Parking sucks. It's worth paying for a lot downtown instead of hunting for a spot.

I'd mention restaurants but obviously most of my recommendations will be all vegan stuff. But you have to try In 'N' Out.

It's a hell of a toooooown!

lonely as a cloud in the golden state
"the longest winter that i ever saw
was the summer that i spent..."

Last edited by cosmo105 : 02-04-2014 at 07:46 PM.