View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: I wonder why....

Ah, but does it? Terrorism is *supposed* to force people into doing what you want. In effect (and I am sure a lot of terrorists view it like this) it highlights the fact that dispossessed people who are not necessarily heard still can make themselves heard if powerful people try to ignore them.

Terrorism is often just highlighting / drawing attention to an issue in a world where stuff going on hundreds of miles away, or thousands of miles away, or even on your doorstep, might not exist for all that "ordinary" people care. Did the US care about the Kurds when it didn't want a war? Nope. Lots of people still don't care about the Palestinians suffering for decades. Do you think that if Palestinian terrorists *weren't* blowing up chunks of Israel we'd even know about what happens to their countrymen?

Urm... I'm losing my point somewhat. And I am not conding terrorism, it is pretty shitty. But then, ignoring inustices just because they aren't happening to you is quite possibly equally shitty..