View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolajames1981
No one I know in all of England uses the phrase "Smack my bitch up" as an exclamation. The only reason the Prodigy used that phrase in their toss song is because they knew us uptight Brits would go "OHMYGOD, thats soooooo controversial - let's ban it." The resulting publicity from this controversy lead to the single to be brought by all the sad little kids who think that buying controversial songs makes them cool. That is the only reason I think the Beasties were wrong to discuss not playing the song with the Prodigy - because it gave them exactly the kind of publicity they were relying on to sell their album. That's just my opinion!
I hate that crap about the British being uptight. The US is much more uptight than Britain. A few examples: - In Britain the muff shot in 'Basic Instinct' wasn't cut out. Janet Jackson flashing her tit was show several times in the UK including on the news. No one tried to sue the TV stations for personal injury over it either (as happened in the US).

If some people think The Prodigy encouraged violence to women with the 'Smack My Bitch Up' track, couldn't it be said that the Beastie Boys encouraged criminal damage and theft by wearing VW car badges back in the 80s? I know people who stole VW badges in the 80s because the Beasties wore them.

Some people here will not listen to anyone else’s opinion no matter how relevant their points may be. They think that if The Prodigy had a disagreement with the Beastie Boys then The Prodigy must be in the wrong. The Beastie Boys can do no wrong in some peoples eyes.

I think everyone should agree to disagree. There is no point arguing about this ancient history.

I'm just off to play the 'Smack My Bitch Up' track really loud.