View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Bassman

Default Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

New member***1st post***Flame on!

The Beastie Boys were right to do what they believed in and Prodigy was right to do what they believed in as well (By that I mean playing their song anyway). There isn't anything wrong with the Beastie Boys asking a question like that. If people don't communicate nothing will ever get done and there is no "right" answer. We're talking about the way people feel here. From what I've read and heard I would consider the latter actions Prodigy took to be largely immature (and I know I don't have the whole story!). If my fav band asked me not to play a song for any reason I would at least listen to their logic. I might not agree but I certainly would not have thrown my "sucker in the sand" as Liam seemingly did. No one was telling him what to do and if he truly had any respect for the Boys and their opinion he would not have reacted as he did.

Anyone who thinks the entertainment industry (in general) doesn't affect people and how they act is living in a dream world. It doesn't happen to everyone but a great many are very much swayed by lyrics, action, fashion, and lifestyle of entertainers. Just look at any older adolescent or younger teenager, (hell I know some "adults" that are worse than the kids!). Entertainers are their heros and all kids try to emulate them. Some misguided kids go too far because they don't understand that perception is not reality! If you don't believe this then get yourself a fan and strobelight. Go into a dark room, turn the fan and the strobelight on, and look at the fan. Perception tells you it's not moving and hence not dangerous. Now... stick you fingers in the fan. Yeah... perception is what hurt you; the reality was there the whole time. Kids can (and will) take everything they hear and perceive very literally. That being said, it is up to the entertainer to decide what is acceptable to them and up to their peers to challenge their thinking as well as society's standards. Both bands did that. Parents should be monitoring what the kids are listening to/watching but most parents are not GREAT parents and there are an awful lot of really bad ones out there. The best way to keep a kid out of any kind of trouble is to educate him. Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds hate. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the paths those emotions can take you down.

The new album rocks me and I really couldn't care less who else likes it. I want it to be successful because I'm selfish and want more from the Beastie Boys! I've been a fan of the Beastie Boys for years but never saw them live. I was going to see them on their last tour when it was cancelled ! I have been feverishly hoping there would be another. I have my tix for the Tampa show and nothing Liam or anyone else says can change that!

"God didn't do that! You did it! You're a fucking narcotics agent; I knew it!"... Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Last edited by Boogiefish : 10-11-2004 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling