View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 01:32 AM
cheeky

Exclamation yep, i'm nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeltz
If Canada is so culturally indistinct, and such a bad place to live, why can we smoke what we like, marry who we please, and get our health taken care of for free, while you can't do any of those things?
let me preface my comments by saying i've never been to canada but i would love to go, i harbor no feelings of hatred nor do i think the u.s. is superior, etc. my boyfriend is canadian, and part of what makes him so great is where he was born and raised.

that said, your comments on smoking what you like aren't entirely true. my boyfriend just told me a story about how a 70 or 80 year old woman got busted for weed in canada. as for the u.s., it is up to each individual state. i don't know the drug laws of each state, but i do know for a fact that possession of a small amount of weed in alaska is legal (my friend went there last summer on an internship, and that's what she was told by criminal defense attorneys).

also, some states allow people to marry who they please, but the federal government will not recognize those marriages and will not allow other states to recognize those marriages should the couple move to a different state. i don't know canada's policy on such marriages; is it all of canada, or just where you live?