View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 07:33 PM
feeder

Default Re: I never did understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobaViolence
How all those Christians in the USA could claim to love and worship Jesus while allowing their gov't to kill, plunder and destroy God's green Earth and all of its inhabitants...

anyone?
Oh I was just reading something kind of related to this earlier today. In the current issue of the Economist, there's an article about people who study sacred texts (of whatever faith) from a secular viewpoint as well as those from a religious one, and why it's important in a modern context. I'm kind of too lazy to get up off my ass and go get the mag now, but basically in talking about the extreme evangelical Bible-is-the-word-of-God types, there's nothing 'hypocritical' about it.

Don't ask me about the specific bits of the Bible cuz I don't know what chapter and verse and all that, but first of all somewhere in there (apparently) there's some bit about how God gave man all of the beasts and plants and resources and whatever and made him dominant over them all to use as he sees fit or whatever and blah blah blah. Like I siad, I don't know exactly what the Bible says word for word about it but essentially the way that this has been interpreted by some is that "Hey, if it's here, God put it here for us to use so by golly let's use it."

Secondly, these sorts of folks don't see any reason to be concerned about protecting or conserving because the other thing that happens then eventually is that Judgement Day comes, the Earth is destroyed along with all the 'bad' non-Bibleish people, and the righteoud folk all go on up to heaven to sit on clouds an play harps for all eternity, or something. So essentially, there's no point in being all ecological minded and whatnot - it's all going to burn when Jesus comes back for his happy smiley people.

So - to sum up: God put all this stuff here for us to use however we want, and then Jesus is going to come and whatever's left is all gonna get destroyed anyway, so no point in 'saving' it - saving is apparently for souls, not for woodlands or turtle species or rainforests or any of those other things that don't love Jesus. Capisce?