View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Professional Cynic

Default Re: I never did understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'mcrafty
why did i even come into this thread? any ways here goes....what part of Earth are you from?? obviously not America i would guess france. anyway has your country been terrorized? do we not have the right to fight back? i'm not a Jesus fan and i'm an American and yes i voted for Bush, i believe in why this war was started, and i believe the Iraqi's will thank all the allies when it's all done. btw isn't there a thread to post about Jesus? i don't know why i even opened this thread, but had to respond because i love my country.
Try reading some history...start with the US occupation of the Philippines starting in 1898. Mark Twain had much to say about this adventure in imperialism, not much of it was nice:

http://www.historywiz.com/primarysou...indarkness.htm

"There is the case of the Philippines. I have tried hard, and yet I cannot for the life of me comprehend how we got into that mess.... I thought we should act as their protector -- not try to get them under our heel. We were to relieve them from Spanish tyranny to enable them to set up a government of their own, and we were to stand by and see that it got a fair trial.

It was not to be a government according to our ideas, but a government that represented the feeling of the majority of the Filipinos, a government according to Filipino ideas. That would have been a worthy mission for the United States. But now -- why, we have got into a mess, a quagmire from which each fresh step renders the difficulty of extrication immensely greater." - Mark Twain, Interview, Oct. 15, 1900

Sound familar?

Anyone?

Buhler?

Mark Twain said it best: “America is a nation without a distinct criminal class...with the possible exception of Congress."

Last edited by Whois : 01-04-2005 at 06:35 PM.