View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 12:04 PM

Arrow Re: BBC Sounds TR808

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
That's funny man, I had a 707 for a while too. Around '90 maybe? I bought it thinking it would be like an 808. It has a bunch of those classic sounds, but you can't get the super low deep bass like on the 808. I didn't use it that much.

I also tried making beats with a Kawai R-50 I think it was. It was okay I guess, but at that stage what you really needed was a sampler. Eventually I saved enough to get a used Ensoniq ASR-10, which is great. I still have it.

The 707 would be cool for adding some old style drum machine sounds to a song. Although there are lots of sample libraries available now that would probably have the same sounds, or very similar. The 808 is the special one, because of the way you can get those super low synthesized analog kicks. There are sample libraries that copy it, but many people will say that it is never really the same, like with a Moog synth, or Rhodes keyboard or whatever.
Behringer just put out a pretty good clone of the 808 called the "RD-8". It's all analog. I hear there are some minor differences in a sound or two but overall it's pretty damn close (keeping in mind that not all 808s sound alike anyway).