View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 04:47 PM

Arrow Re: TISFWO, TT5B and HSCPT2 Vinyl Re-Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
It's funny how this keeps popping up (The In Sound discussion). I remember you saying that there were instrumental only versions of Namaste and Lighten up on the '98 reissue. I pulled out all of the vinyl and compared the tracks and basically found that all of the official TISFWO copies (from the test pressing through the last pressing in '98) were the same. Those tracks were also the same as the original French Fan Club release which came out just before. The only thing that changed on the '98 reissue (which I never realized until I just wrapped my head around what you were saying) is that the CD dropped Futterman's Rule, added the instrumentals for Namaste & Lighten Up, and changed up the sequence.

It's been bootlegged 4 times on vinyl since then. The first boot was a two LP that had the original 12 tracks in sequence plus Namaste & Lighten up from the '98 reissue CD tagged on at the end. The second boot is a straight rip of the original without the 2 new tracks that showed up on the '98 CD's. The third boot is the same as the original vinyl but with a different label and catalog number. The fourth boot is also the same as the original but pressed on 2 different color vinyls (we've found 9 color variations so far).

All of the subsequent reissues on CD have been the same as the '98 CD with the exception of Japan pressings which have 2 x each instrumentals of Sure Shot and Get It Together Remixes. I can't believe it took me so long to finally get what you were saying, but thanks for helping me understand.
Yeah, my problem is that I've always been under the mistaken impression that the subsequent vinyl releases mirrored the CD, and they don't. I do remember a decent gap in time between when the original yellow vinyl was done and the CD came out. Maybe a year or so. I wonder if when they decided to do a full fledged release of the CD version they put the money into mastering for the CD with the instrumental tracks, but did not want to bear the expense of doing a separate re-master for the vinyl on the basis that vinyl wasn't selling well back then. So, the subsequent vinyl releases would have had the same master as the original vinyl and the CD mixes got a new master with the added instrumental versions of those two songs. Just a guess, but its the only reason I can think of why the CD and vinyl don't match.